Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

A couple of pages back somebody mentioned that IW no longer do any Tech, they were hours I would always watch, but they seemed to stop around the time when Covid struck, there excuse was trouble getting tech items in, even though QVC were still able

I dont know where grant went, Janice is now a Create and Craft presenter

I suppose it was an arguable point that they ever dId ’Tech’ at all. Most of what they sold tech wise was out of date, reconditioned phones that had been replaced by new models, and some pretty dodgy old tablets, Speaking of which, I always feel like taking a couple of bottles of dodgy tablets whenever I see old Play-Doh Head obsequiousnessprizing or Simon Peters, or Man with the Upside Down Head, or My Name is Den..Or…Or..

A couple of pages back somebody mentioned that IW no longer do any Tech, they were hours I would always watch, but they seemed to stop around the time when Covid struck, there excuse was trouble getting tech items in, even though QVC were still able

I dont know where grant went, Janice is now a Create and Craft presenter

He's a Digital Designer at Auto Traders.

He was never really a tech expert as such, if we're honest none of them are the only folks that are true experts are thosed involved in the design and manufacture of the products being sold, his main job was in video production/ graphic design etc. IW was probably a temp stop gap job in between his main career path.

Cheap bedding once again. Oh God, how deadly dull. Still, we have the building excitement of Shergar, the giant plastic horse with nowhere to go to follow. Riding boots - the same pair as last week and the week before..Upside Down Head and his whip. And the girl with no personality who doesn't appear to know why she is here. Marvellous. Try as I might, I just cannot see them having the right audience for it, or any audience at all.

This constant comparison that upside down head makes with a well known Irish boot maker (ones costing around £300 to £400, apparently) seems somewhat disingenuous to me. How a £60 boot can be even directly compared with such authority by him to a high quality boot baffles me. He states, as a rider (pardon the pun), I believe, that the difference is slightly different materials. To me, that is like directly comparing an expensive leather sofa to a cheap PVC one and saying there is very little difference between the two. I am surprised the unnamed Irish boot company who I won’t name hasn’t protested over the constant comparisons to their high end product. Perhaps they don’t know.

The show is billed as an equestrian one. Other than old Dobbin, and a girl in jodhpurs, I see very little specifically equestrian about it. It is the same few items repeated show upon show. These are essentially clothing items and nothing specifically related to horse riding per se.

Cheap bedding once again. Oh God, how deadly dull. Still, we have the building excitement of Shergar, the giant plastic horse with nowhere to go to follow. Riding boots - the same pair as last week and the week before..Upside Down Head and his whip. And the girl with no personality who doesn't appear to know why she is here. Marvellous. Try as I might, I just cannot see them having the right audience for it, or any audience at all.
The girl always has the look off why am i here, will have to watch more ITV Racing to see if i notice her

Mason on the Anthony James (Fields family again) watches saying he can't believe the prices, when you look at them you're thinking higher hundreds even thousands. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Those folks buying these watches need their heads examined, these really are bargain basement watches, cheap Chinese watches with alloy cases and dirt cheap movements. These are sub £10 junk.

He was never really a tech expert as such, if we're honest none of them are the only folks that are true experts are thosed involved in the design and manufacture of the products being sold
Ouch! But I take your point. Yes, it's me. Someone told me I'd been mentioned so I thought I'd say hello.

Just so there's no doubt, I really enjoyed my time at IW - as someone who started his career reviewing washing machines and fridges and eventually moving on to home electronics and phones, being there gave me the opportunity to get hands-on with some products I'd never really had the chance to.

I know you'll think I'm saying it because of some sort of loyalty to the channel, but when it comes to phones, the Alcatel we sold for £39, the tough-phone that I used to hammer nails into wood on-air and some of the handsets at about £150 with truly awesome cameras genuinely impressed me back then.

The difficulty always rested in the fact that I was there as a salesman, (after all IW is a shop), so whilst I could've quite happily spent the shows nerding-out and showing off things I found cool, it might not have been the best way to spend the shows.

That being said, the late-night ITV shows always got a little nutty.

Kev says the Mathey-Tissot strike watch has a specially configured Ronda Z60 inside it.

Well Kev, that's great to know, just a shame it's a load of bollocks, the watch contains a bog standard, with no special configuration, Ronda 5030D movement.:rolleyes:
Hammy’s 100% right, as always.
I dropped a new 5030D into a watch that had been brought to me just before Christmas. I paid 40USD for the movement- and I could’ve got it much cheaper if I’d been buying in scale.
This is the thing- why do they always claim super-luxury, best-ever-seen for stuff that’s just ordinary, everyday workhorses?

Ouch! But I take your point. Yes, it's me. Someone told me I'd been mentioned so I thought I'd say hello.

Just so there's no doubt, I really enjoyed my time at IW - as someone who started his career reviewing washing machines and fridges and eventually moving on to home electronics and phones, being there gave me the opportunity to get hands-on with some products I'd never really had the chance to.

I know you'll think I'm saying it because of some sort of loyalty to the channel, but when it comes to phones, the Alcatel we sold for £39, the tough-phone that I used to hammer nails into wood on-air and some of the handsets at about £150 with truly awesome cameras genuinely impressed me back then.

The difficulty always rested in the fact that I was there as a salesman, (after all IW is a shop), so whilst I could've quite happily spent the shows nerding-out and showing off things I found cool, it might not have been the best way to spend the shows.

That being said, the late-night ITV shows always got a little nutty.

Hello.

Yeah may be a bit harsh on you, but still stand by the general point i was making in that one can very good in demonstrating how to use a tech product but that doesn't mean they are a tech expert on that product, but you can take solace from the fact you were one of the few 'guest experts' that actually had more positive reactions to their shows in this thread than most of the others get. ;)

That's the problem though, and one of the reasons why there is such a negative attitude towards 'Experts' and Ideal World in general on here, you, or any of the other 'experts' aren't introduced as a salesman or even just product demonstrators, they're introduced as Guest Experts or Resident Experts, some claiming to have many years of experience, which implies to the viewer/potential customer that their contributions to the show will be an unbiased, factual and honest detailed/knowledgeable review/demonstration of the product. Now while in your case this may have been true on the whole demonstrating products, (as you were mostly involved in shows dealing with phones from known brands, which the viewers are familiar with and i liked the fact you had a good easy going presentation style, clear and easy to follow, would point out the limitations as well as the positives, ie that the phones were good quality for the price point unlike the presenters who would be exaggerating the performance and quality and be making unrealistic comparisons with phones in much higher price brackets with much better/higher specs), it's not true for most of the other so called guest expert or presenters with a second job as a resident expert, the amount of misinformation, lies and misleading demonstrations is astounding, especially on their home appliances & watch shows.

Hammy’s 100% right, as always.
I dropped a new 5030D into a watch that had been brought to me just before Christmas. I paid 40USD for the movement- and I could’ve got it much cheaper if I’d been buying in scale.
This is the thing- why do they always claim super-luxury, best-ever-seen for stuff that’s just ordinary, everyday workhorses?

It is strange, as there is nothing wrong with a lot of the movements and watches they sell from VE, Mathey-Tissot, Swiss Military, Aviator, Sturmanskie etc, they all decent quality watches. Ok style/look/case size etc may not be to everyone's liking but from a technical point of view they are all made with decent proven everyday movements & materials. If they would just be honest in their sales presentations they will still sell, probably more so, as a lot of potential buyers are put off these watches by the over hyping guff that Reynolds and Cunningham spout.

Bordell & Mason watch show so Shyster alert, better get the meter ready.

index.png

Latest posts

Back