Sorry Steve, but there is a ridiculous amount of Jade on this weekend..

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Imogene9500

Registered Shopper
I think this message is consistent with many comments on this forum .. even if you are a lover of this material and trust Dave that it is a great investment (not me I'm afraid), it is far too much of the same and makes very dull viewing. I always check the weekend schedule, but Dave and his Jade is a huge, literal turn off. Even the presenters are sounding bored ..

Last edited:
I think this message is consistent with many comments on this forum .. even if you are a lover of this material and trust Dave that it is a great investment (not me I'm afraid), it is far too much of the same and makes very dull viewing. I always check the weekend schedule, but Dave and his Jade is a huge, literal turn off.
With you and everyone who is fed up with the Groundhog Days at Jadeporia. Having read the post explaining recent problems of the company nearly going into administration I understood the limited merchandise available for the shows but was puzzled by the disproportionate amount of jade products clearly overrepresented in the inventory!
All was revealed on today’s show with Mr Jade who said that “ we all are building our own museums of it”! 😂🤣. Thank you for explaining it for the philistine like me 😅

With you and everyone who is fed up with the Groundhog Days at Jadeporia. Having read the post explaining recent problems of the company nearly going into administration I understood the limited merchandise available for the shows but was puzzled by the disproportionate amount of jade products clearly overrepresented in the inventory!
All was revealed on today’s show with Mr Jade who said that “ we all are building our own museums of it”! 😂🤣. Thank you for explaining it for the philistine like me 😅
I suppose the answer would be to not switch on at all but like other shopping channels Gemporia must rely on potential customers being present for whatever may crop up of interest. A schedule with wall to wall Jade will just deter. It seems clear that Gemporia does not have the range of jewellery/gems it needs to live by what it set out to bring to market at the start. No idea at this point having seen recent shows where the company is going. Cavill shows have been a welcome return to jewellery, but how do they sit alongside Hattie's tacky Destello?. Completely opposite brands and markets. Confused and bored🙄

Last edited:
I wouldn't count on investment value at all. They're making a profit selling it retail, which means it costs them less to buy, and I'm not assuming 'razor thin margins' but about 50% markup at least. I don't begrudge them that, it's how business works and they certainly seem to need the money if recent claims are anything to go by.

Type A Jadeite only refers to the stone being untreated, natural Jadeite to my knowledge. It is not a claim of quality, but an on ramp to the best stuff. The best examples seem to be those I imagine anyone would prefer with rich, even colour, good translucency and transparency, and smooth texture. Those cost an absolute fortune and are glowing and almost glasslike sometimes. I could only guess that the examples being sold on Gemporia would be the equivalent of AA Tanzanite in terms of quality because I've seen worse and much better. I don't think it'll start bidding wars at auction houses, but if you like the material, go for it. It's a nice stone to wear even if you buy a cheap treated bracelet off eBay.

Hearing Dave call just about everything 'the ultimate' does make you wonder which bits really are the better purchases, though.

The value has been lost because gemporia are flooding the market with cheap jade from other countries.

The finest source of Jadeite Jade in the world comes from Kachin state, Myanmar (Burma). It's also the only commercial source for Jadeite in the world.

All this other stuff that gemporia sell to us comes from Kazakhstan, Russia, Japan, Guatemala, and USA. That's why it's so cheap, the Chinese don't want it, Dave just lies to make it sound good.

The value has been lost because gemporia are flooding the market with cheap jade from other countries.

The finest source of Jadeite Jade in the world comes from Kachin state, Myanmar (Burma). It's also the only commercial source for Jadeite in the world.

All this other stuff that gemporia sell to us comes from Kazakhstan, Russia, Japan, Guatemala, and USA. That's why it's so cheap, the Chinese don't want it, Dave just lies to make it sound good.
Much of the type A offered in Dave's showcases is Burmese in origin on the certificate. I have seen them offer Nephrite, which I wouldn't buy, although apparently high quality mutton fat or the higher quality greens in general can be valuable?

I'd be interested in that book he reads from if it weren't so expensive to buy.

Much of the type A offered in Dave's showcases is Burmese in origin on the certificate. I have seen them offer Nephrite, which I wouldn't buy, although apparently high quality mutton fat or the higher quality greens in general can be valuable?

I'd be interested in that book he reads from if it weren't so expensive to buy.
Don't believe what's on the certificate, it's been proven that the certificate means nothing.

As I have said elsewhere, if this jadeite is the top level stuff that Chinese buyers will pay top dollar for, why isn't Gemporia selling to them and making a killing?

Would make more sense for a company that needs a large injection of cash ASAP. And yet they're not doing that. It's a puzzling state of affairs. 🤔

Don't believe what's on the certificate, it's been proven that the certificate means nothing.
How much do you reckon it would cost to get a report on a piece that would specify any treatment and origin? The proof is in the lab testing I suppose!

TJC certificate i-3 diamonds which are basically the lowest grade of diamonds which any valid jeweler would never sell and no honest lab would ever grade.. so its basically certificating that your purchase is garbage.,,sorry this sounds harsh but I researched i-3 diamonds out of wanting to learn what all the info on the screen and certificate meant.

TJC certificate i-3 diamonds which are basically the lowest grade of diamonds which any valid jeweler would never sell and no honest lab would ever grade.. so its basically certificating that your purchase is garbage.,,sorry this sounds harsh but I researched i-3 diamonds out of wanting to learn what all the info on the screen and certificate meant.
This much I do know. I don't buy diamonds from Gemporia. To be honest, I don't really like diamonds anyway. But I though JimaPak was saying the information on the cards was false rather than saying the information on the cards is correct even when the stones are poor.

This much I do know. I don't buy diamonds from Gemporia. To be honest, I don't really like diamonds anyway. But I though JimaPak was saying the information on the cards was false rather than saying the information on the cards is correct even when the stones are poor.
An ex colleague implied on this forum a few weeks ago that Jake Thompson had knowingly changed the certificate of a heat treated Paraiba Tourmaline to "Not Enhanced".

Plus the certificates are often full of mistakes. For example, the treatment code for diffusion is 'U', but they often put 'D' instead - which is actually the code for 'Dyeing'. This is particularly common on Jewellery Maker, but I've had to correct Gem Collector on numerous occasions over the years too.

They often put 'I' as the treatment for irradiated stones too - but the correct code for irradiation is 'IR'. The code 'I' is for Waxing - a treatment generally applied to Turquoise.

I don't believe that this is done on purpose though. I am more of the opinion that its a clumsy error that keeps happening.

An ex colleague implied on this forum a few weeks ago that Jake Thompson had knowingly changed the certificate of a heat treated Paraiba Tourmaline to "Not Enhanced".

Plus the certificates are often full of mistakes. For example, the treatment code for diffusion is 'U', but they often put 'D' instead - which is actually the code for 'Dyeing'. This is particularly common on Jewellery Maker, but I've had to correct Gem Collector on numerous occasions over the years too.

They often put 'I' as the treatment for irradiated stones too - but the correct code for irradiation is 'IR'. The code 'I' is for Waxing - a treatment generally applied to Turquoise.

I don't believe that this is done on purpose though. I am more of the opinion that its a clumsy error that keeps happening.
Do you know what the code Z means treatment wise? I have seen this listed on on-screen graphics quite a few times, but Gemporia's website doesn't say what it means. Which is totally unhelpful.

Do you know what the code Z means treatment wise? I have seen this listed on on-screen graphics quite a few times, but Gemporia's website doesn't say what it means. Which is totally unhelpful.
Hello. This is my first post on this forum. 🤓

"Z" is for the "Zachery-treated" turquoise.

According to the GIA's website:

Over the last 10 years, millions of carats of turquoise have been enhanced by a proprietary process called the Zachery treatment. Tests show that this process effectively improves a stone’s ability to take a good polish and may or may not improve a stone’s color. It also decreases the material’s porosity, limiting its tendency to absorb discoloring agents such as skin oils. Examination of numerous samples known to be treated by this process revealed that Zachery-treated turquoise has gemological properties that are similar to those of untreated natural turquoise, and that the treatment does not involve impregnation with a polymer. Most Zachery-treated turquoise can be identified only through chemical analysis—most efficiently, by EDXRF spectroscopy—as it contains significantly more potassium than its untreated counterpart.
Source: https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/spring-1999-identification-zachery-treated-turquoise-fritsch

I agree. They've also started using 'CP', meaning Compressed. I'm not sure why they've started using this because it is the same treatment as Reconstituted.

They also use 'IH' now too, which isn't listed on their website at all. I believe 'IH' is two treatment processes - irradiation first, followed by heat treatment.

'Z' is Zachary, a fairly 'new' treatment in the industry - which is exactly as Rose de France describes above.

Latest posts

Back