The Emperor's New Clothes

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

murgatroyd

Registered Shopper
I keep being reminded of the story of 'The Emperor's New Clothes' when I am watching QVC. Was half watching a beauty show today where some woman & Anne Dawson were trying to flog a cream for £75. "Look at the elasticity, the texture, the sheen," they chirped. "It contains platinum!" cooed the woman in yellow (although quite why I would want to smear metal all over my face she did not say.)

Suddenly I had a vision of Anneka, the model, standing up & shouting, "It's just a pot of cream! Look - it's just some sticky cream in a posh jar!" and then skipping off into the wings leaving all looking horrified & realising the truth.

Had a similar fantasy in a 'fashion' show the other day where Glen Campbell was wearing stupid red shoes & suddenly everybody on set started laughing & pointing at his shoes. Then the models realised what ridiculous rags they'd been dressed in and started having hysterics & doing silly walks. I think it's time I took a break from watching QVC ..... but, if only my vision could come true...just once!

Hi Murgatroyd and welcome. Regarding skincare and its ingredients, we are all taken for suckers. My hubby always makes me laugh when adverts are on tv for miracle creams with 'pro-wallet draining complex' or 'energizing essence of tapwater'.... When someone really finds the miracle youth molecule then we'll all have some of it and everyone else will be out of business in double quick time.:mysmilie_488:

Hi Murgatroyd and welcome. Regarding skincare and its ingredients, we are all taken for suckers. My hubby always makes me laugh when adverts are on tv for miracle creams with 'pro-wallet draining complex' or 'energizing essence of tapwater'.... When someone really finds the miracle youth molecule then we'll all have some of it and everyone else will be out of business in double quick time.:mysmilie_488:

These ingredients are REALLY funny !!! :up::flower:

I keep being reminded of the story of 'The Emperor's New Clothes' when I am watching QVC. Was half watching a beauty show today where some woman & Anne Dawson were trying to flog a cream for £75. "Look at the elasticity, the texture, the sheen," they chirped. "It contains platinum!" cooed the woman in yellow (although quite why I would want to smear metal all over my face she did not say.)......

wow! that's some product - not only does it promise perfect skin, it also gives you a magnetic personality. Did they give us a health warning about not getting too close to anyone wearing a pacemaker ?

This basically sums up my disdain for QVC of late. Selling a face cream at £75 is laughable and you have to wonder who buys this sh*t!

This basically sums up my disdain for QVC of late. Selling a face cream at £75 is laughable and you have to wonder who buys this sh*t!

Ok I get the point-- who has paid this price for a face cream--well me! My excuse--i have worked ?????? yrs & it is MY money, selfish I know but if no one else is disadvantaged?/
There are a lot of savvy people here who would not be taken in by QVC ( me included although we 'make confessions ' we can make fun of it)--- and I have had sooooo many laughs!

Or possibly Michelle Hope circa 1988? Her stuff never seems to change and neither does she. Has she had all over botox? It was frumpy and old fashioned then, and it still is! Ugh. And expensive. Can't say Bride of Chucky though - even Chucky would run a mile!

Or possibly Michelle Hope circa 1988? Her stuff never seems to change and neither does she. Has she had all over botox? It was frumpy and old fashioned then, and it still is! Ugh. And expensive. Can't say Bride of Chucky though - even Chucky would run a mile!

Sorry, I just couldn't watch this! I found it all quite depressing. Boring presentation, awful " fashion " and so overpriced - I am off to Marks and Spencers. :cheeky:

I love the expression "Emperors new clothes" I'm always using it, it applies to so much nowadays:grin:

It's all Emporors new clothes. I'm not saying some products don't live up to their promise, but absolutely everything presented by QVC is described in superlatives. Not everything can be that fantastic and some things clearly arent - particularly the non-branded items (Christmas stuff springs to mind) and even some of the branded is just churned out by factories in China with no particular quality about them. But QVC is in the business of making profit, purely and simply. If they reckon a product will sell with a bit of spin then they're up for it. They are selling DREAMS at the end of the day. They're not going to tell you this product we bought at a fraction of the price and is a pile of s**t! Even QVC can't sell nightmares!! Instead they sell dreams - the Emporor's New Clothes!

Ok I get the point-- who has paid this price for a face cream--well me! My excuse--i have worked ?????? yrs & it is MY money, selfish I know but if no one else is disadvantaged?/
There are a lot of savvy people here who would not be taken in by QVC ( me included although we 'make confessions ' we can make fun of it)--- and I have had sooooo many laughs!

Good for you, Hon, and I agree about the laughs, too!:sun:

Latest posts

Back