Megadrops are back again on bid

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

£1 MEGADROP1

Registered Shopper
Earlier tonight I noticed the £1 signs behind James whilst he was selling some jewellery and sure enough the megadrops are back again for the whole weekend and its decent things again but according to Peter they are not available online but they have splashed out on some balloons

I think some of the fun has been removed from them by doing the siren to tell everyone what is about to happen, having them randomly in the middle of a product added some excitement and it was great to see it happen when you were already in prepared to pay considerably more than £1 + the p&p (and call cost for some)

Last edited:
They've totally lost their impact now - In the past they'd megadrop tellys, real gold jewellery, bicycles, leather jackets but nowadays you'll be lucky to get anything more than a t-shirt,or a set of microwave dishes. Since they regularly offer stuff for a penny or a pound anyway - it's nothing to get excited about. Also a lot of the penny and pound items, I feel they are forced to sell at that price anyway 'cause nobody would buy them other wise...Eg plastic egg boilers cost between 99p & £1.99 each on the high street, so let's be kind and say they'll sell the set of four for the equivalent of 99p each, so that's £3.96 add £7.99 & £1.53 and that comes to £13.48. Let's face it NOBODY in their right mind would pay that for that!

They've totally lost their impact now - In the past they'd megadrop tellys, real gold jewellery, bicycles, leather jackets but nowadays you'll be lucky to get anything more than a t-shirt,or a set of microwave dishes. Since they regularly offer stuff for a penny or a pound anyway - it's nothing to get excited about. Also a lot of the penny and pound items, I feel they are forced to sell at that price anyway 'cause nobody would buy them other wise...Eg plastic egg boilers cost between 99p & £1.99 each on the high street, so let's be kind and say they'll sell the set of four for the equivalent of 99p each, so that's £3.96 add £7.99 & £1.53 and that comes to £13.48. Let's face it NOBODY in their right mind would pay that for that!

Spot on Merry.

Remember that song happy days are here again? That could be the megadrop theme. Megadrops are here again ....

PJ

PS I am glad I spell checked that as it did say spit on merry!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I have a megadrop question and need help from someone who is eagle eyed!
A few minutes ago Bid with Mark Stewart had a megadrop on a tablet. There was a mistake when the 'randomly generated' phone number was shown before they unlocked the phone lines so they started again, they locked the phone lines, generated another phone number and opened the phone lines.
When the first phone number came up I could've sworn there were 5 in the quantity but when they generated the new phone number there were only 3 in the quantity.
Apparently these megadrops aren't available online and apparently nobody can buy it until the phone lines are opened so where did 2 tablets go?
Did anyone else notice this or is it me just seeing things?!

I saw that dee,
all i can assume is that the first phone number was open and before they quickly closed it 2 'lucky' people with VERY fast dialling fingers managed to get through and bag it before they closed that line and reopen it on another line.

And some tablet (PC) that we never heard of.Come on bidtv get normal brands, unless the companies don't want their products on bid/price drop tv.Come on get some decent products not just fashion or gold plated crap jewellery.

Also, I'm sure when they used to do Megadrops they used to have the standard quantity of items in the drop - so around 100 of something. Now they only seem to have a very limited quantity - if it's actually a good item often only 4 or 5.

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to knock them, great for anyone who's bagged a decent mega-drop, but a blooming set of eye make up from a little known brand with just ten in the quantity, wtf? So ten lucky people have got themselves some eyeshadow and a mascara for £10.52 - big woop! whilst 100 people were on the line! Does this mean that 90 unlucky people are still charged for the call, or do they simply not get connected?

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to knock them, great for anyone who's bagged a decent mega-drop, but a blooming set of eye make up from a little known brand with just ten in the quantity, wtf? So ten lucky people have got themselves some eyeshadow and a mascara for £10.52 - big woop! whilst 100 people were on the line! Does this mean that 90 unlucky people are still charged for the call, or do they simply not get connected?

They'll have still been charged.

You get charged as soon as the number connects to Bid - not for confirming a purchase. And the lines don't cut out when they've got adequate people on the line/an item is fully sold.

(agree that while some medgadrops may be good value - some are just a bit ridiculous!)

They'll have still been charged.

You get charged as soon as the number connects to Bid - not for confirming a purchase. And the lines don't cut out when they've got adequate people on the line/an item is fully sold.

(agree that while some medgadrops may be good value - some are just a bit ridiculous!)

If that's the case, then that's ****** disgusting. I can understand a small quantity on a high priced line, let's say a tablet computer, viewers probably won't mind losing a couple of quid or so to have a go at winning it...but a crappy 2 a penny make up set, and they can only part with 10?! I guess you'd have to blame the viewers daft enough to ring in on this one. Do they not get told the quantities before the phone number is displayed? If not that's even flipping worse,and another one for the ASA to look at I'd say!

If that's the case, then that's ****** disgusting. I can understand a small quantity on a high priced line, let's say a tablet computer, viewers probably won't mind losing a couple of quid or so to have a go at winning it...but a crappy 2 a penny make up set, and they can only part with 10?! I guess you'd have to blame the viewers daft enough to ring in on this one. Do they not get told the quantities before the phone number is displayed? If not that's even flipping worse,and another one for the ASA to look at I'd say!

This time round it works like this

siren sounds

They walk over to megadrop corner, say it could be this or that or that or maybe even this

They says what its going to be

The graphics appear sometimes without the price or quantity

Price and quantity appear

They take the price to £1

They randomly generate a number. open the lines and in about 5 seconds its all over

No excitment at all it seems very flat compared to the excitment years ago of not knoing when it would happen

What I want to know is did the deal of the day sell out this afternoon as they used the 2013 number for the megadrop earlier which is usually reserved for deal of the day

I agree with other posters that 10 in the quantity for such a low end product is pathetic and lets be honest they might only get £4.99 to £10 for it on a normal day anyway but Lisa Brash said 100 people had missed out on that megadrop alone

They also did a 5mp camera earlier with a start price of £30, They maybe can't afford 50 tv's or 200 bottles of perfume like before but 10 of such low priced items is sad to see

Last edited:
This time round it works like this

siren sounds

They walk over to megadrop corner, say it could be this or that or that or maybe even this

They says what its going to be

The graphics appear sometimes without the price or quantity

Price and quantity appear

They take the price to £1

They randomly generate a number. open the lines and in about 5 seconds its all over

No excitment at all it seems very flat compared to the excitment years ago of not knoing when it would happen

What I want to know is did the deal of the day sell out this afternoon as they used the 2013 number for the megadrop earlier which is usually reserved for deal of the day

I agree with other posters that 10 in the quantity for such a low end product is pathetic and lets be honest they might only get £4.99 to £10 for it on a normal day anyway but Lisa Brash said 100 people had missed out on that megadrop alone

They also did a 5mp camera earlier with a start price of £30, They maybe can't afford 50 tv's or 200 bottles of perfume like before but 10 of such low priced items is sad to see

Totally agree with you. I suppose it is harder for them now to produce a decent megadrop since the quality of the product range has plummeted. The camera in the old days would have been a Sony or a Panasonic - not a ****** awful Vivitar!

I suppose if the lines open the same time as price and quantity appear on the screen then more fool the viewer for dialling, and if as you say they tell you what the product is briefly first, surely one would realise it's not worth the risk for a make up set of questionable quality!

OH WELL!!!!

according to Peter they are not available online

I was watching one earlier & before the phone number came up & they unlocked the phone then quantity had already fallen from 10 to 6. Are people just guessing the number? as he said its randomly generated. You would of thought the "randomly generated" phone number wouldn't be unlocked until it appears on the screen.... or maybe they are happy for people to try the old numbers & still be charged £1.53 for their guess?. All in all I think its a bit unfair imo.

I was watching one earlier & before the phone number came up & they unlocked the phone then quantity had already fallen from 10 to 6. Are people just guessing the number? as he said its randomly generated. You would of thought the "randomly generated" phone number wouldn't be unlocked until it appears on the screen.... or maybe they are happy for people to try the old numbers & still be charged £1.53 for their guess?. All in all I think its a bit unfair imo.

I won't go into specific details of who and when but there was particular sale of a mobile phone (not the DOTD though) when the lines locked that I felt went too far, it was the presenters comments that made me think that. They had a large quantity but still didn't reveal the price until they had very nearly all gone.

Lets just say (in my opinion) the price didn't quite match up to what the presenter seemed to 'suggest' before it was eventually revealed. Lines locked are one thing, not revealing the price until really, really late is becoming a nasty habit now.

I have to say I think people must be crazy to order before knowing the price and they have to take some responsibility but these sales are almost becoming something of a lottery. And in this case I am certain they would have been forgiven for thinking the price would have been considerably lower than it was.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back