Be careful what you wish for!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

bingowings

Registered Shopper
I am really glad to see BID now have owners who have a solid vision for the channel and are forcing a more professional approach from the presenters. i am one of there biggest fans but have to admit their sloppy attitude at times (background noise, shouting at the camera, dusty poor quality products, chatting to the camera people) has further cemented peoples impression that they are a shoddy cheap and nasty channel.

But, and there is always a 'but' .. the reason i have watched these channels for so long has been the laughs it has given me. the daft antics, the jokes and the giggles. i hope they can somehow find a balance where the presenters can still enjoy there jobs while being professional. when i watch IW and Q i feel like so many of the presenters are like pre programmed robots going through the motions in a mechanical way. its dull and bland and boring as all heck.

At the minute the brakes seem to have been slammed on at BID and many of the presenters seem terrified to even smile. its quite strange watching after over a decade of fun and frolics. im sure the viewers who are unaware of the takeover are wondering what on earth has happened!.

I love BID TV and as much as i appreciate they have to adapt in order to survive as their previous approach really wasnt working. i genuinely hope they can somehow maintain a sense of what made them so popular in the first place. keep the good and lose the bad.

An incredibly old fashioned, unprofitable format that was highly susceptible to compliance issues has probably had it's day and it seems the new management have quickly identified what many people have long suspected. That very low rent Holiday Park Cabaret and Shopping Television dosen't really mix, not in 2014.

Let's hope they improve their product offer too, they need to! I think it will give the current presenters the opportunity to demonstrate that there is more to them than screaming, hyperactive blowhards that are often economical with the truth. If they can't adapt then, sadly, I suspect they will have to go.

But one thing is certain, the loss making car crash that was Bid TV couldn't possibly continue. At times it really was an abomination.

I wish them well, I genuinely do. As ever the market will decide whether they have a future but it's clear that the 'old' Bid TV had no future whatsoever, none.

The majority of the stuff is unbranded Chinese now-low cost high mark up.
They used to carry brands- Sony , Pentax , Russell Hobbs, Samsung ect but now it's all figurines and other funfair prizes.
Well at least it's a strategy of sorts but I don't know how sustainable it is.

The majority of the stuff is unbranded Chinese now-low cost high mark up.
They used to carry brands- Sony , Pentax , Russell Hobbs, Samsung ect but now it's all figurines and other funfair prizes.
Well at least it's a strategy of sorts but I don't know how sustainable it is.

Surely they have plans to improve the product offer? They have to!

Especially when they now expect people to wait up to 2 whole weeks for delivery but for the same eyewatering delivery charges. I guess only time will tell but I can't imagine that their plan is to merely provide a worse delivery service, tone down the screaming banshees and continue to sell the same old tatt but for higher prices.

That would be like putting lipstick on a pig.

Two category's bid need to stop selling: beauty and jewellery. Most of the jewellery is brass and glass. Beauty products are mainly bid made up.

Two category's bid need to stop selling: beauty and jewellery. Most of the jewellery is brass and glass. Beauty products are mainly bid made up.

I rather suspect there'll be even beauty. There are some massive margins to be had, especially when you have a company like Skin Pharmacy advertising products on their website for 4, 5 or occasionally even 6 times more expensive than the prices Bid charge.

It''s brilliant for a price comparison, even if it's quite possibly load of old tosh. Sharks like Sherlock must positively salivate at the selling opportunties :mysmilie_59:

Surely they have plans to improve the product offer? They have to!

Especially when they now expect people to wait up to 2 whole weeks for delivery but for the same eyewatering delivery charges. I guess only time will tell but I can't imagine that their plan is to merely provide a worse delivery service, tone down the screaming banshees and continue to sell the same old tatt but for higher prices.

That would be like putting lipstick on a pig.

I think the postage/delivery is going to be one of their downfalls.

I can pay Amazon £7.99 for next day delivery or £1.49 for 2 day delivery.
Quite obvious that Bid use the postage charge as a way for profit purposes.

There's only so much Tommy & Kate, buddah figurines and market stall items you can offload. I hate to say it but Bid/Price drop are like a boat in a storm - nearing the rocky shore and the lightbulb in the lighthouse has long burnt out (a new bulb has been purchased but it's on a two week delivery). Only a matter of time.

I think the postage/delivery is going to be one of their downfalls.

I can pay Amazon £7.99 for next day delivery or £1.49 for 2 day delivery.
Quite obvious that Bid use the postage charge as a way for profit purposes.

There's only so much Tommy & Kate, buddah figurines and market stall items you can offload. I hate to say it but Bid/Price drop are like a boat in a storm - nearing the rocky shore and the lightbulb in the lighthouse has long burnt out (a new bulb has been purchased but it's on a two week delivery). Only a matter of time.

And of course when you sell an item for £1 when it's actually worth more but with a £7.99 non-refundable delivery charge you only have to offer a £1 refund should anybody be arsed to send it back, which of course they won't.

I am looking forward to see what they have to offer going forward, onwards and upwards. However, i'm very impressed they have put a stop to the Mike Mason and Peter Simon show who seemed to think they were appearing on a dodgy and very unfunny 1980's Saturday Night Variety Show.

Dated, miserably crass crap like that has no place on a shopping channel. In fact I wouldn't be at all surprised if they don't hang around for too long, Blackpool Pier awaits them :mysmilie_59:

I rather suspect there'll be even beauty. There are some massive margins to be had, especially when you have a company like Skin Pharmacy advertising products on their website for 4, 5 or occasionally even 6 times more expensive than the prices Bid charge.

It''s brilliant for a price comparison, even if it's quite possibly load of old tosh. Sharks like Sherlock must positively salivate at the selling opportunties :mysmilie_59:

There is clearly a market for the 'cheap and chearful' products. But they need to do what QVC do and surround them with quality to up the perception of the channels. I think we need to appreciate it takes time to bring new products through. Especially with new owners and a new infrastructure. I estimate at least 2-3 months. And we can fairly judge them then. But.right now they need to sell what they have. And what they have is pretty poor.
I suspect bid are implementing commercial standards now do when the new products arrive the system for how to sell them is already in place. Ie longer presentations with a calmer approach. I understand the people now I charge helped set up IW back in the day. I bet that is how bid will go. Less products. Better brands longer presentations and more guests.

One thing I do find strange is that people clearly have a perception of bid, especially with the Asa issues. I wonder why they haven't shouted from the roof tops they have new owners?

I think to some extent, the public put their trust in their "best friend" presenters and don't particularly want to get stung for a second time

hmmm there are some very interesting and thought provoking comments from all of you on here
this thread contains rational adult debate - get you!
*wanders off pondering this situation*

What was interesting about watching Neil today is that it wouldn't appear as if he has had to change his style of delivery at all, then again he's always been quite calm and collected anyway even if he's full of it.

I wonder if it's mostly just the 'cabaret act' presenters (MacDonald/Mason/Dirty Peter) that have been told to change? Sally is somewhat calmer and has cut out the grotesque 'face against the camera' business but apart from that she seems much the same really. And Slippery Ben has definitely calmed down from that maniacal persona he often had on Price Drop.

What was interesting about watching Neil today is that it wouldn't appear as if he has had to change his style of delivery at all, then again he's always been quite calm and collected anyway even if he's full of it.

I wonder if it's mostly just the 'cabaret act' presenters (MacDonald/Mason/Dirty Peter) that have been told to change? Sally is somewhat calmer and has cut out the grotesque 'face against the camera' business but apart from that she seems much the same really. And Slippery Ben has definitely calmed down from that maniacal persona he often had on Price Drop.

Neil has always had a smarmy smoothness, not quite market barrow boy but more slick door to door vacuum cleaner salesman
He also has an arrogance and an ego that can be seen when standing on another planet not unlike someone else!

Neil has always had a smarmy smoothness, not quite market barrow boy but more slick door to door vacuum cleaner salesman
He also has an arrogance and an ego that can be seen when standing on another planet not unlike someone else!

Indeed, nobody appears to have a higher opinion of Neil than Neil.

Only Gollum comes close in the ego stakes but sadly his has taken something of a blow recently. I feel for him, i'm sure you do too :mysmilie_59:

Indeed, nobody appears to have a higher opinion of Neil than Neil.

Only Gollum comes close in the ego stakes but sadly his has taken something of a blow recently. I feel for him, i'm sure you do too :mysmilie_59:

I'm human, to be brought down to size on tv is humiliating for them at best, of course I feel for them and those feelings are delight and 'what goes around comes around'!
I said I'm human, I didn't say I was sensitive!

I'm human, to be brought down to size on tv is humiliating for them at best, of course I feel for them and those feelings are delight and 'what goes around comes around'!
I said I'm human, I didn't say I was sensitive!

I thank you for your humanity deedee. Being serious for a moment there'll always be a stage for talent like Peter Simon and Mike Mason.

stage.jpg

I thank you for your humanity deedee. Being serious for a moment there'll always be a stage for talent like Peter Simon and Mike Mason.

View attachment 9947

hey, humanity is my middle name - deedee humanity delicious, that's me!
I'm struggling with the idea that there's a place for them, I suppose there is a niche for their 'work' but I fear it's a rapidly shrinking niche

hey, humanity is my middle name - deedee humanity delicious, that's me!
I'm struggling with the idea that there's a place for them, I suppose there is a niche for their 'work' but I fear it's a rapidly shrinking niche

There's always an audience for their particular type of talent, shows in Blackpool and at Butlin's often have their type in support of the headline acts but obviously far lower down the bill. And they could do Compere work at the clubs too.

They could probably make a good living from it.

There's always an audience for their particular type of talent, the lesser shows in Blackpool and at Butlin's are full of their type in support of the headline acts but obviously far lower down the bill. And they could do Compere work at the clubs too.

They could probably make a good living from it.

They might have to try it out

Latest posts

Back