The Real Pie Company

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

sunshine

Registered Shopper
Has anyone tried the pies and are they good.. Fancy some for freezer when family comes and wondered if they were worth it? They always look good on tv.

I'm sure they are great but they seem expensive to me. I guarantee you I could make 10 pies for under £10 using organic beef and vegetables. I'm good at making pies! I've perfected the recipe for shortcrust pastry. Can't do puff yet though.

I'm sure they are great but they seem expensive to me. I guarantee you I could make 10 pies for under £10 using organic beef and vegetables. I'm good at making pies! I've perfected the recipe for shortcrust pastry. Can't do puff yet though.
Julius you must have a go at puff it's delicious and so satisfying when you get it right. I learnt to make it at school many years ago and although its fiddly rolling and folding it's well worth the effort.

I am exactly the same! I think the faff of puff puts me off :-/ but my shortcrust is spot on. I had homemade beef and ale pie earlier - can't beat it!

delia smith has a recipe for a cheats version rough puff. its not quite flaky pastry but its lovely. made with pure butter

What is the general opinion - can a pie just have a top crust or must it have a pastry sides and bottom as well

The latter for me - the former reminds me off poor value pub pies made up of a bit of meat and a thick top of pastry stuck on the dish.

Perhaps it is because I much prefer shortcrust to puff/flaky myself

What is the general opinion - can a pie just have a top crust or must it have a pastry sides and bottom as well

The latter for me - the former reminds me off poor value pub pies made up of a bit of meat and a thick top of pastry stuck on the dish.

Perhaps it is because I much prefer shortcrust to puff/flaky myself

I'm with you!! Beef and ale is probably too rich to be totally encased in shortcrust, but a pie isn't a pie without a bottom in my opinion!

Julius you must have a go at puff it's delicious and so satisfying when you get it right. I learnt to make it at school many years ago and although its fiddly rolling and folding it's well worth the effort.

I will try it again some time as I'd like to be able to master it. I made some pies recently for a friend I invited to dinner. I went down to Asda and bought some Jus' Rol! Knowing that I'd made the pastry the last time (shortcrust) she kept going on and on about the puff pastry until I could bear it no more. I explained that I had made the filling but that the pastry was shop-bought :-(

The last time I tried I remember trying to follow the recipe from the book. I remember having to cut the fat into cubes and roll re-rolll and this and that. The pastry came out more like cardboard :-( so I obviously did something wrong. Will try again soon.

I will try it again some time as I'd like to be able to master it. I made some pies recently for a friend I invited to dinner. I went down to Asda and bought some Jus' Rol! Knowing that I'd made the pastry the last time (shortcrust) she kept going on and on about the puff pastry until I could bear it no more. I explained that I had made the filling but that the pastry was shop-bought :-(

The last time I tried I remember trying to follow the recipe from the book. I remember having to cut the fat into cubes and roll re-rolll and this and that. The pastry came out more like cardboard :-( so I obviously did something wrong. Will try again soon.

Cutting the fat into cubes sounds like rough puff pastry to me. Try rolling out the flour and water 'détrempe' (get me) to a rectangle and then laying on the top of it a 'sheet' of butter which measures approximately 1/4" smaller all round. You can make the butter sheet by rolling slightly softened butter between two sheets of greaseproof/cling film. Then, all the subsequent rolling out, turning, re-rolling and resting is easy as pie! Yes, it's a bit of a faff, but you'll feel very proud of yourself when it's in the oven, rising magnificently. And it tastes far superior to any shop bought stuff, including the ludicrously over-priced Real Pie Company pies. I only make puff pastry for 'special things' and am quite happy using shop-bought for pies and the like. And I like just a lid, by the way. But a good lid.

Cutting the fat into cubes sounds like rough puff pastry to me. Try rolling out the flour and water 'détrempe' (get me) to a rectangle and then laying on the top of it a 'sheet' of butter which measures approximately 1/4" smaller all round. You can make the butter sheet by rolling slightly softened butter between two sheets of greaseproof/cling film. Then, all the subsequent rolling out, turning, re-rolling and resting is easy as pie! Yes, it's a bit of a faff, but you'll feel very proud of yourself when it's in the oven, rising magnificently. And it tastes far superior to any shop bought stuff, including the ludicrously over-priced Real Pie Company pies. I only make puff pastry for 'special things' and am quite happy using shop-bought for pies and the like. And I like just a lid, by the way. But a good lid.

Thanks, Craft. It sounds hard, though! Especially making the butter sheet. Last time I tried I bought some fat called "Trex." When I next try I will get Lurpak!

Thanks, Craft. It sounds hard, though! Especially making the butter sheet. Last time I tried I bought some fat called "Trex." When I next try I will get Lurpak!

Think that may be your error, think Trex is that dairy free fat so I'm sure butter would be better! (Well you could use that as your excuse in any case!)

Latest posts

Back