IW buyers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

cheeky chappie

Registered Shopper
ok I admit, my sarcasm mode is well and truly switched on for this post. On IW the other night, Mike Mason was selling something (no you don't say!!!) can't recall what, anyway it's irrelevant to my post. He hushed his co-presenter to urgently update us entirely for our own benefit and well-being of course ;) whilst the item they were selling was supposed to form part of a week long event, he had to advise us that, just 30 mins into the first show on day 1, 10% of the stock had already gone!!

Cue shocked look from co-presenter.

Now, believe it or not I ain't completely stupid. I realise this is a cunning sales tactic/ploy on their part to affirm with us how popular the item is and that we'd better order now as they definitely won't have stock to last the week. I get all that.

However, here's another way to look at it. If they are genuinely 10% sold out on the first outing with 6 days to go, one might argue that their buyers (or whatever the job title is) are completely and utterly CACK at estimating how much stock they'll need to see them through the event, in this case a week. Time and time again they tell us they're sold out well in advance of predictions etc etc, so I put it to IW that their buyers/stock estimators are PANTS at their job and should be replaced :)

Sarcasm mode now switched off ... until the next time!

If they are genuinely 10% sold out on the first outing with 6 days to go, one might argue that their buyers (or whatever the job title is) are completely and utterly CACK at estimating how much stock they'll need to see them through the event, in this case a week. Time and time again they tell us they're sold out well in advance of predictions etc etc, so I put it to IW that their buyers/stock estimators are PANTS at their job and should be replaced :)

Totally agree. It's like going into your favourite restaurant, which you visit at the end of lunch service, to be told that lovely burger with the mature stilton you had once has 'sold out and gone' because it's been so popular, so you have to have something else. Next time you go in, you're told the same. And again. And again.

At some point, you're going to quite legitimately say 'why is this item never available when I come - don't you think the kitchens need to order more'. Or, alternatively, you'd go elsewhere.

Ah yes, but we know they have loads more of almost everything. The stock level usually merely relates to that particular offer and allows for piling on pressure when there's no real reason for it.

This then allows for another offer to start, on whatever basis they see fit, pretty much straight away.

And then it starts all over again. This is their Ideal World.

ok I admit, my sarcasm mode is well and truly switched on for this post. On IW the other night, Mike Mason was selling something (no you don't say!!!) can't recall what, anyway it's irrelevant to my post. He hushed his co-presenter to urgently update us entirely for our own benefit and well-being of course ;) whilst the item they were selling was supposed to form part of a week long event, he had to advise us that, just 30 mins into the first show on day 1, 10% of the stock had already gone!!

Cue shocked look from co-presenter.

Now, believe it or not I ain't completely stupid. I realise this is a cunning sales tactic/ploy on their part to affirm with us how popular the item is and that we'd better order now as they definitely won't have stock to last the week. I get all that.

However, here's another way to look at it. If they are genuinely 10% sold out on the first outing with 6 days to go, one might argue that their buyers (or whatever the job title is) are completely and utterly CACK at estimating how much stock they'll need to see them through the event, in this case a week. Time and time again they tell us they're sold out well in advance of predictions etc etc, so I put it to IW that their buyers/stock estimators are PANTS at their job and should be replaced :)

Sarcasm mode now switched off ... until the next time!

I'm actually quite surprised that they have anything to sell sometimes, because the stuff goes flying out the door so quickly you would they would run out of stock and have nothing to sell. To my limited, humble, knowledge, that has never happened (although I could be wrong).

this (low stock thingy) and constant referring to the full price REALLY bug me!

'and PLEASE be careful viewers, we're currently selling the Turbo-No-Bounce memory foam mattress ... with its patented 2mm of memory foam atop 3 inches of recycled Nasa-Wasa foam ... for only £99.99 for the double, but BE CAREFUL 'cause after tonight's event it goes back up to £5,999.99 and we're not sure when we'll get these back in so this is basically your LAST CHANCE! We don't say this to pressurize you into buying, we say this because we love and care for each and every one of you and only have your best interests at heart :) so buy NOW at £99.99 to avoid paying £5,999.99 after midnight!'

please tell me when any dumb ass would pay the full price on any of these shopping channels?!?

We are lucky to be safe in the knowledge that, because Ideal World love us as Family, they offer us their Friendship and provide us with lots of fun, they'll never try it on and will always offer us a bona fide, totally transparent, lowest price ever deal.

And why not spread the cost with convenient, interest free payments?

Just tap the app (unless you have an iPad 3, it might be quicker to call) :mysmilie_59:

And having said that, did anyone see the 3D printer they were selling the other night? £1000.

On the one hand I think the buyers have been eating strange cheese but on the other I think bravo for trying something different.

And having said that, did anyone see the 3D printer they were selling the other night? £1000.

On the one hand I think the buyers have been eating strange cheese but on the other I think bravo for trying something different.

I wonder if that 3D Printer could print a Presenter?

It would make a change to the one dimensional BS'ing goons that we have to put up with :mysmilie_59:

shouty shouty Genevieve Ni Reamoinn extolled the other night how she didn't really know what 3D printing was all about but after seeing the CEL Robox she realised she simply HAD to have one ... 'just think of all the things you need this for' she exclaimed.

a. I wonder if she bought one :mysmilie_17:

b. Although I don't doubt what 3D printers can do, I've managed so far in my life without one and don't need to spend £1,000 on something to print the occasional thing out for less cost, will take me 10 years to recoup my money!!! I'll wait until 3D printers come down in price thanks.

and if you're wondering 'I thought this guy said he never watches these channels any more?!?' in reality I don't, well not for any length of time, I hop on during breaks etc and perhaps for slightly longer if nothing on proper telly. Alas I used to enjoy watching these channels, now they just seem to frustrate me!!

saw ex-bid presenter Ben Moseby on hochanda, ex-bid presenter Steve macdonald on qvc (as a dyson expert) so it makes me wonder what about bid tv enables these presenters (including the mass hiring by ideal world) to shoehorn themselves in to the shopping tv channels, considering it was such a spectacular and controversial failure.

saw ex-bid presenter Ben Moseby on hochanda, ex-bid presenter Steve macdonald on qvc (as a dyson expert) so it makes me wonder what about bid tv enables these presenters (including the mass hiring by ideal world) to shoehorn themselves in to the shopping tv channels, considering it was such a spectacular and controversial failure.

I am sure the world supply of presenters ready and willing to say and do whatever is needed to get the sales is limited. You also have to have the ability to listen to total rhubarb being spouted in your ear at the same time.

Not sure really guess it is easier to hire somebody who has experience in the field (however chequered) than a "newbie" even if they have done tv work.

Was not a big fan of Steve Mcdonald on bid but he seems fine as the Dyson rep on qvc. Ben Moseby seemed perfectly good to me for the most part.

Was good to see Charlie on Hochanda earlier he has really come on as a presenter actually seemed quite knowledagble about crafts (i guess he had no prior knowledge) come a long way from the ladder incident

Last edited:
Not sure really guess it is easier to hire somebody who has experience in the field (however chequered) than a "newbie" even if they have done tv work.

Was not a big fan of Steve Mcdonald on bid but he seems fine as the Dyson rep on qvc. Ben Moseby seemed perfectly good to me for the most part.

Was good to see Charlie on Hochanda earlier he has really come on as a presenter actually seemed quite knowledagble about crafts (i guess he had no prior knowledge) come a long way from the ladder incident

I agree that Charlie Hopkins is actually quite competent as a lead presenter and gives the impression he is atleast interested in what he is presenting.

To get back to original post i think they just tell pork pies about stock and as an aside i just had a horrible thought a 3D peter simon oh dear i must go and tack one of my pills .:mysmilie_1:

To get back to original post i think they just tell pork pies about stock and as an aside i just had a horrible thought a 3D peter simon oh dear i must go and tack one of my pills .:mysmilie_1:

I'd like to think they don't actually lie about stock levels but, unless they specifically say that it's the last of the stock and they aren't getting anymore then it's important to note that they are seemingly only talking about the stock levels allocated to a particular presentation/offer.

But it's hard to see that the Kitchen M8 'never going to be sold at this price again we have emails from our buyers confirming this' incident as anything other than a whopper :mysmilie_59:

By contrast QVC - when they say they are not getting something in again, I tend to believe them.

IW would be better served by not going on in this ridiculous manner. They can surely convey a sense of urgency to buy without bandying around figures which are immediately suspicious... mind you I suspect in cases like Peter Simon's I don't think he actually listens to what is coming through his ear piece. I bet it is more a case of X% of the purple is now sold, and with usual cavalier disregard for accuracy he says that about all stock. It's like his taking about a flexipay installment as if it is the total price of the item. I don't find all of the presenters are prone to this playing up numbers. It does seem more common with the ex-Bid crew.

They also shouldn't be so categorical about "it won't be on air at this price again". There are less overt high-pressure sales tactics they could use which would not keep them sailing so close to the wind... but they are still using such old-fashioned closing techniques, I can't help thinking that their sales manual has been consigned to the museum in most places.

Credit were it's due though, they've landed Skinn cosmetics it's on tomorrow at 3pm the range is just getting loaded on the web, I've got to say I know first hand how great this skin care and cosmetics are (they've got a palette similar to Tartes) I'm a bit disappointed that they haven't got the plasma foundation stick though, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed it goes up tomorrow if they've got it, if not, I'll be buying other items from this range because as always IW prices are brilliant...........as you were. :mysmilie_14:

Credit were it's due though, they've landed Skinn cosmetics it's on tomorrow at 3pm the range is just getting loaded on the web, I've got to say I know first hand how great this skin care and cosmetics are (they've got a palette similar to Tartes) I'm a bit disappointed that they haven't got the plasma foundation stick though, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed it goes up tomorrow if they've got it, if not, I'll be buying other items from this range because as always IW prices are brilliant...........as you were. :mysmilie_14:

It is another big brand for Ideal buyers again credit where it is due

Be amazed if that was an easy deal to complete

It is another big brand for Ideal buyers again credit where it is due

Be amazed if that was an easy deal to complete

I get the impression that if there is any sign that it takes off, then skinn will jump to qvc (to be on all the time, compared to ipads) as quickly as possible... like a few other brands.

Latest posts

Back