Do any of you watch IW ...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

cheeky chappie

Registered Shopper
... for long periods of time these days e.g. entire shows or close to entire shows? Or do you dip in for maybe 20-30 mins at a time? Or, are you like me, dipping in for maybe 5 mins max once or twice a week if that?

I simply don't find any of it entertaining to watch any more. The presenters and most of the 'experts' annoy me. I hopped on last night and they were selling a handheld vac for £80-£90. The 'expert' (can't recall his name but he's an 'expert' on a few things) proceeded to show how amazing the vac was by vacuuming up a load of rice from a bowl ...

:mysmilie_17:

... how I laughed when it became evident the vacuum was going to struggle to pick it all up. He resorted to tipping the bowl and essentially dropped the last grains into the mouth of the vacuum!! He then proceeded to show how good the suction would still be by putting a placemat or something over the end ...

... how I laughed when that started to fall off!!

Mind you after those 30 secs I was back on to mainstream. I'm not getting at anyone who still watches for longer periods, each to their own etc etc ... but all I'd ask is WHY?!? What still draws you? Is it the fact it's pure car-crash telly? Surely there's only so much burnt milk in a pan, vacuuming up bits & bobs, horrendous bulky watches, carpet cleaning, sh!te fashion, paint spraying etc etc you can watch???

One of the reasons I watch is just flicking through channels. If something looks entertaining as per what kept you watching happens I see how it goes.I don't tend to buy anymore as I don't really need anything. Also I'm a lot more careful on purchases.I don't watch whole shows.Like a lot of people I don't fall for the spiel anymore.

... for long periods of time these days e.g. entire shows or close to entire shows? Or do you dip in for maybe 20-30 mins at a time? Or, are you like me, dipping in for maybe 5 mins max once or twice a week if that?

I simply don't find any of it entertaining to watch any more. The presenters and most of the 'experts' annoy me. I hopped on last night and they were selling a handheld vac for £80-£90. The 'expert' (can't recall his name but he's an 'expert' on a few things) proceeded to show how amazing the vac was by vacuuming up a load of rice from a bowl ...

... how I laughed when it became evident the vacuum was going to struggle to pick it all up. He resorted to tipping the bowl and essentially dropped the last grains into the mouth of the vacuum!! He then proceeded to show how good the suction would still be by putting a placemat or something over the end ...

... how I laughed when that started to fall off!!

Mind you after those 30 secs I was back on to mainstream. I'm not getting at anyone who still watches for longer periods, each to their own etc etc ... but all I'd ask is WHY?!? What still draws you? Is it the fact it's pure car-crash telly? Surely there's only so much burnt milk in a pan, vacuuming up bits & bobs, horrendous bulky watches, carpet cleaning, sh!te fashion, paint spraying etc etc you can watch???

I have to say that I/W is the only channel available here in the institution. I think they call it therapy! It's more like torture!

I usually watch for ten minutes or so but it's nearly every day-it's a guilty pleasure !
Whilst the people here never cease to be amazed at the insincerity of the presenters and the fake anecdotes they trot out, I suspect that the presenters themselves are immune to any misgivings-it's just a job, so in for a penny, in for a pound!
My favourite recent example of a demo going wrong was Peter Simon and Lloyd selling the telescopic ladder-Peter said 'now for the magic as it collapses down'
The ladder jammed and Lloyd tried to make out it was a safety feature and tried again but it wouldn't budge,so the producer cut away to to a graphics shot.
Another recent highlight was Sally flogging these gigantic V shaped pillows. She said 'I take mine on holiday to have with me by the pool'.
You couldn't make it up-well actually she was making it up!
They all seem under ever increasing pressure to sell harder and harder which makes me think they aren't doing well.

I would say my viewing of Ideal has plummeted down to the odd kitchen hour here and there. It's not the same anymore, there's no presenter I particularly enjoy watching now since Andy and now Loen defected to Craft.

I don't watch shopping channels as entertainment channels, I've got Sky for that, but I will watch if there's something I want to buy (providing it's not a Bidder presenting) Its a bonus having an item on for an hour if you want to buy it, but filling sixty minutes probably isn't easy for anyone, unlike QVC where it's only five minutes per item a presenter has to fill, before its on to the next thing. I don't let the channel itself put me off, if I want it I'll buy it, if I don't I won't. There's loads of things on their website that don't even come to air so I just have a mooch round that. And for the record, being a "cheeky chappie" I wouldn't expect you to know, but the fashion isn't "shite" nor is anything else I've bought.

Not watched properly for years, only ever flick on then off again these days!

I tune into IW quite regularly, but in general I don't stay watching as a lot of the subject matters they cover are quite dull and unentertaining. Sanderson blinds, Planet Cruise, umpteen diy products and garden related stuff hold no interest to me whatsoever. Bid and price drop on the other hand if I was in and there was nothing on I particularly wanted to watch would be on in the background for pretty much all of the day. With the exception of a couple of horrible presenters (you know who you are!) The banter between presenter and assistant was entertaining, the bullsh*t (obvs not the scaremongering and preying on the vulnerable) was so funny and so watchable.

Although Aqua pointed out that she heard Salleh telling the viewers that she takes her giganitic V shaped pillow on holiday with her...yeah right Sal, but this is the sort of thing I miss hearing. Though if she'd have given it a little thought, she could have said I bought one of these for when I was sitting up feeding the baby and now I take it out in the garden - now that would have been feasable!

I channel hop and catch things on IW now and again but almost never entire shows .I must admit some of the fashion hours have a fascination especially with screeching Genevieve. Some of the fashions are pretty good but the sales people are the problem especially with no Loen.

Some times I have a look see for their selling spiel, which is always good for a laugh, it will depend on the presenter as to how long I watch, rarely longer than 10/15 mins. I can't remember the last time I ordered anything from IW.

The atrocious Pee Pee Schaffer was shilling Rattan. He's designed gardens for rich and famous people but obviously, for discretion, no names were mentioned.

He said that when he's drinking a $25 G&T he would expect to be sat in similar seating to the plazzy ratt, tatt.

Listen Pee Pee, if you were the type of geezer that quaffed $25 G&T's you wouldn't be stuck in Peterborough on a weekday afternoon with Ellie May Clampett shilling garbage that you can get the likes of on Amazon for less than half the price.

More like drinking Blue Cider on the Number 47 to Bermondsey. And that's only if you've been able to top up your Oyster Card :mysmilie_19:

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back