Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yeah, maybe Assembled in Germany, is a bit closer to the truth, but even then I'm not sure why they would do that or even if they did.
I could understand it, if like their special watches, they were adding some parts which originated in Germany, but that's not the case with the watches in question. The German Chamber of Commerce have guidelines for using Made in Germany on a product, Part of which says although some components can originate abroad, the essential parts of the product must always originate in Germany. They had 5 new Made in Germany watches on that show, pretty sure 100% of the parts of those watches (including essential parts ie movements)originated in China.
Given that actual "Made in Germany" watches by reputable German watchmaking brands are well respected and regarded as very good/high quality, I personally think this is another brand that is trying to infer a quality to their watches, by using misleading labelling (same as a couple of the so called Swiss brands on IW), that they don't deserve.
A question i would like to put to these brand owners like CW, Earnshaw, Swan & Edgar, CCCP etc etc, if they are so keen to display and point out when their watches are Swiss Made or Made in Germany, why are they so reticent to put Made in China on the watches that are made there, which is the origin for the vast majority of their watches?

What about the CW watches that they sell some times that say 'Made In Germany' on their dials, but when they turn the watch around the text on the rotor says 'Miyota' and 'Made In Japan'! How can they call it a German watch?

I've just bought a very nice Proxima branded Chinese watch from Aliexpress which is a homage of a Seiko Marine Master SBDX017. It's a beautifully made piece, although not identical to the Seiko, it compares very well indeed and has a sapphire crystal which the Seiko does not. The price was less than 10% of that of the Seiko. The Chinese have really upped their quality recently.

What about the CW watches that they sell some times that say 'Made In Germany' on their dials, but when they turn the watch around the text on the rotor says 'Miyota' and 'Made In Japan'! How can they call it a German watch?

I've just bought a very nice Proxima branded Chinese watch from Aliexpress which is a homage of a Seiko Marine Master SBDX017. It's a beautifully made piece, although not identical to the Seiko, it compares very well indeed and has a sapphire crystal which the Seiko does not. The price was less than 10% of that of the Seiko. The Chinese have really upped their quality recently.

I think, for those with the Miyota or Swiss movement, it’s probably because it’s been assembled in Germany, rather than actually made there or maybe because the dials, made from the owner’s luxury cars, might be classed as an essential selling feature for those watches even though the movements are not German. As I said, German Chamber of Commerce have guidelines, but how strictly watch brands adhere to that god knows, I don’t think it anywhere near as strict as Swiss Made standards, which itself is not strict enough, seems to be enough ways for dubious brands to get around that.

I’ve looked at Proxima watches(and the San Martin, 62MAS homage) a few times, they’ve got a few nice Seiko homage watches at good prices. Although I do think it’s a wee bit unfair to compare prices, there is bound to be a big difference in labour costs between Chinese brands and Seiko, BTW the SBDX017 does have sapphire and of course a way better movement, but having said that I do think a lot of Seiko watches have gotten overpriced in recent years. Although I do think eventually well see Chinese watches rise in price, at the moment the brands are able to take advantage of the very low labour costs, but I think that will change over time.

I agree with you, lot of better quality Chinese brands out there these days, but there still is a lot of poorer quality watches, with little quality control. Seen a few watchmakers on youtube taking apart Chinese movements that look good through the display back, but once they start taking them apart, it’s obvious that there is poor quality control, with scratches, marks, dust/dirt, fingerprints etc on/in parts of the movement.

I think, for those with the Miyota or Swiss movement, it’s probably because it’s been assembled in Germany, rather than actually made there or maybe because the dials, made from the owner’s luxury cars, might be classed as an essential selling feature for those watches even though the movements are not German. As I said, German Chamber of Commerce have guidelines, but how strictly watch brands adhere to that god knows, I don’t think it anywhere near as strict as Swiss Made standards, which itself is not strict enough, seems to be enough ways for dubious brands to get around that.

I’ve looked at Proxima watches(and the San Martin, 62MAS homage) a few times, they’ve got a few nice Seiko homage watches at good prices. Although I do think it’s a wee bit unfair to compare prices, there is bound to be a big difference in labour costs between Chinese brands and Seiko, BTW the SBDX017 does have sapphire and of course a way better movement, but having said that I do think a lot of Seiko watches have gotten overpriced in recent years. Although I do think eventually well see Chinese watches rise in price, at the moment the brands are able to take advantage of the very low labour costs, but I think that will change over time.

I agree with you, lot of better quality Chinese brands out there these days, but there still is a lot of poorer quality watches, with little quality control. Seen a few watchmakers on youtube taking apart Chinese movements that look good through the display back, but once they start taking them apart, it’s obvious that there is poor quality control, with scratches, marks, dust/dirt, fingerprints etc on/in parts of the movement.

I don't like to contradict you, but the Seiko SBDX017 only has a mineral crystal. I know this because I own one myself, and that's one reason why I almost never bought it! The Seiko has a better movement than the Proxima, which houses a Seiko NH35. Having said that, the Proxima is keeping excellent time running minus 0.5 of a second every 24 hours, where the Seiko is running at plus 20 seconds every 24 hours.
The quality of finish on the case and bracelet of the Proxima is equal to that of the Seiko, with no sharp edges anywhere, where there are a couple of sharp edges of the Seiko's bracelet.
I now wonder why I ever bought the Seiko, and it will soon be for sale on eBay.

They’re shilling yet another skip load full of Elizabeth Grant potions.

It’s available, just for this hour, for £39.99

But they reckon the usual price is ...... £244.94 :RpS_w00t:

I don't like to contradict you, but the Seiko SBDX017 only has a mineral crystal. I know this because I own one myself, and that's one reason why I almost never bought it! The Seiko has a better movement than the Proxima, which houses a Seiko NH35. Having said that, the Proxima is keeping excellent time running minus 0.5 of a second every 24 hours, where the Seiko is running at plus 20 seconds every 24 hours.
The quality of finish on the case and bracelet of the Proxima is equal to that of the Seiko, with no sharp edges anywhere, where there are a couple of sharp edges of the Seiko's bracelet.
I now wonder why I ever bought the Seiko, and it will soon be for sale on eBay.

Not a problem, thought i had read that was one the Seikos with Sapphire, obviously not, I know some stuff, but by no stretch of the imagination am i an expert, so more than happy to be corrected when necessary. :RpS_thumbup:
Glad to see you happy with your Proxima, as i said, was looking at them and the San Martin myself, may give one a try when the watch fund is a bit healthier.
It does make you wonder if it's worth paying for more expensive watches these days, there are so many micro-brands and established brands producing an almost limitless amount of affordable good quality watches.

im finding the new lady presenter quite irritating, the one that used to do the expensive leggings

Not a problem, thought i had read that was one the Seikos with Sapphire, obviously not, I know some stuff, but by no stretch of the imagination am i an expert, so more than happy to be corrected when necessary. :RpS_thumbup:
Glad to see you happy with your Proxima, as i said, was looking at them and the San Martin myself, may give one a try when the watch fund is a bit healthier.
It does make you wonder if it's worth paying for more expensive watches these days, there are so many micro-brands and established brands producing an almost limitless amount of affordable good quality watches.

I also got a Pagani Design 1639 Rolex homage with green dial for £54. Sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel insert with NH35 movement. Excellent value watch very well finished and quality bracelet too. Value is amazing!

They’re shilling yet another skip load full of Elizabeth Grant potions.

It’s available, just for this hour, for £39.99

But they reckon the usual price is ...... £244.94 :RpS_w00t:

Yesterday morning at 11am (and at other times recently) they've been selling their bonded leather massage chair and I'm loving their "Sofa Collection Price" (oh really?) of £1399.99 which is basically £1400 for a plastic leather lump with a few motors and a heated coil :RpS_laugh:

Worth noting that Creepy Crawley claims that his partner's auntie has bought one in cream (at 08:27 in the presentation): https://www.idealworld.tv/gb/shows/furniture-collection-blockbuster-2794923?channel=IW

Also never seen Jess Woods before but she's definitely got into the spirit of things by describing the chair as having "plush leather" and she's starting to irritate me already :RpS_thumbup:

Screenshot_2020-01-31 Furniture Collection BlockBuster 11 00 31 01 2020 IW Ideal World.jpg

Yesterday morning at 11am (and at other times recently) they've been selling their bonded leather massage chair and I'm loving their "Sofa Collection Price" (oh really?) of £1399.99 which is basically £1400 for a plastic leather lump with a few motors and a heated coil :RpS_laugh:

Worth noting that Creepy Crawley claims that his partner's auntie has bought one in cream (at 08:27 in the presentation): https://www.idealworld.tv/gb/shows/furniture-collection-blockbuster-2794923?channel=IW

Also never seen Jess Woods before but she's definitely got into the spirit of things by describing the chair as having "plush leather" and she's starting to irritate me already :RpS_thumbup:

View attachment 18315

I suspect Jess Woods has been trained by Joanne. She says very little about the products and prefers to spew out vapid drivel.

Of course the ‘Usual Prices’ are ludicrous, they even reckon the ‘free’ Platinum Delivery is worth £75 🤔

I also got a Pagani Design 1639 Rolex homage with green dial for £54. Sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel insert with NH35 movement. Excellent value watch very well finished and quality bracelet too. Value is amazing!

I had a Pagani Cocktail Time homage (have the seiko as well) like you say excellent value.

Thomas Tope on spouting his nonsense about CCCP brands history, again he's given CCCP Brand the Slava Watch Factory's history, and he claims after 50 years to know it all.:RpS_ohmy:

Dirty Pete on the Samsung A80 "it's a £750 phone all day long" then lists several retailers selling it for £579 :RpS_sneaky:

Conveninetly doesn't mention Amazon who are only £5 more expensive. And I know which retailer I'd rather buy from.

Then amazingly, introduces ginger tech fella who he says is quickly becoming a heart throb :RpS_lol:

Best bit though "now, this phone only came out 12 months ago didn't it" ...yeah Pete, 12 months in phone terms, is like 12 months in a dogs life. It's an eternity.

Dirty Pete on the Samsung A80 "it's a £750 phone all day long" then lists several retailers selling it for £579 :RpS_sneaky:

Conveninetly doesn't mention Amazon who are only £5 more expensive. And I know which retailer I'd rather buy from.

Then amazingly, introduces ginger tech fella who he says is quickly becoming a heart throb :RpS_lol:

Best bit though "now, this phone only came out 12 months ago didn't it" ...yeah Pete, 12 months in phone terms, is like 12 months in a dogs life. It's an eternity.

Here’s the very first review of the Samsung A80 on idealworld.tv : -

5 /5 I love using my phone as its great February 2020

i brought one for my wife and it was very fast so i tryed the phone and loved it that much i am thinking of getting one i like that it is unlocked and the screen is nice and big they price is abit to much for the phone and i went on ebay i did find it cheaper £350 to £375 new with a glass screen protctor

:RpS_rolleyes:

I saw with that phone a couple of days ago, he said, "this phone is bran new, it's only been out for about 11 months". :RpS_w00t:

He came on last night with the Heritor watches, he said it was only the second time that they had had them on air.

The lies never end.

CODA laptop hour just started, hosted by the grinning muppet that is Mike. 'I don't how we're doing this for £199.99, you're sitting at home thinking £1999.99, right?!?'

Eh no Mike, no one in their right mind would think this spec of laptop should be selling for anywhere near two grand, nor a grand, nor £500. For what it is, £199.99 is probably about right. I'm not saying the product is guff, for all I know it's maybe a perfectly good little device, but don't insult our intelligence by trying to assert it should be £100's more when, quite simply, it shouldn't.

I used to quite like watching selly telly, now it just grinds my gears!!!

CODA laptop hour just started, hosted by the grinning muppet that is Mike. 'I don't how we're doing this for £199.99, you're sitting at home thinking £1999.99, right?!?'

Eh no Mike, no one in their right mind would think this spec of laptop should be selling for anywhere near two grand, nor a grand, nor £500. For what it is, £199.99 is probably about right. I'm not saying the product is guff, for all I know it's maybe a perfectly good little device, but don't insult our intelligence by trying to assert it should be £100's more when, quite simply, it shouldn't.

I used to quite like watching selly telly, now it just grinds my gears!!!

The £199.99 Laptop comes with, in their words, a ‘Massive 32GB Hard Drive’, just 2GB of RAM and an Intel Celeron Processor that would struggle to keep a Calculator running well. It’s a complete ripoff.

Laptops Direct sell a better spec Coda Laptop that also has the same shitty processor but comes with a larger screen and 4GB Ram for £149.99 :)

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/cod...MIt7eWxrXW5wIVGLLtCh3RRAzREAQYASABEgLPhvD_BwE

Back to the forum since the new year after feeling virtually locked out by the anti-ad blocking software??!!

Anyway, did any of you watch people see last nights show featuring another luxury brand? (It made such an impression on me that I can't remember the name of these watches!). If so, can you educate me by explaining if this brand is what they say it is? Ta.

Back to the forum since the new year after feeling virtually locked out by the anti-ad blocking software??!!

Anyway, did any of you watch people see last nights show featuring another luxury brand? (It made such an impression on me that I can't remember the name of these watches!). If so, can you educate me by explaining if this brand is what they say it is? Ta.

Last night was Gevril. Old Swiss brand, suffered during quartz crisis, brand name was bought in the 1990s by a Swiss businessman to resurrect the brand, headquarters now in New York, but watches are made in Switzerland, I believe in the old Gevril watch factory. Watches are good quality, but think IW prices are closer to their true value than the RRP on Gevril's web site.

On the other hand, tonight's Swan & Edgar show is nothing but lies, cheap Chinese watches which can be bought from Ali express for a fraction of the price IW are selling at. Peter Simon says of one of the watches, if it was £1200 you'd buy it. Nobody would pay £1200, it's a £30/40 watch from China, feel really sorry for folks falling for the crap these two crooks are spouting.

Latest posts

Back