Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bored last night so I put on Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights. series one, episode 3 or 4, the club has just fitted a new TV, and there was shopping telly on. The ladies were watching but the bouncer characters were deriding it. A few scenes later, on the "channel" was a hair product to cure baldness, black paint actually. This piqued their attention and as the scenes progressed, they became more transfixed to the channel. "Piagra" a flavoured gum with obvious connections, cut to McGuiness on the phone ordering some, then a watch with a built in torch. Next scene, the 2 bouncers on the door in the dark with Kay wearing the watch and showing off the torch.
Kay's observational comedy was so astute in showing how gullible people are taken in by the selling tactics on selly telly:unsure::)

I think he said he's wanted it for two years??

Can't wait to see big P in that jacket 😂

As far as I can remember, he's been telling this story for at a year, so two years could be right.

Thing is, let's say he really does want it, there is absolutely no reason for him not to have purchased it the last two years, it would be easy for him to get it (it's been in stock after most shows have finished despite his claims it's always sold out), his wife or a friend etc, could order it during a show.

I've noticed, the male presenters anyway, all seem to be smarter dressed these days, more suits, Jacket etc, wonder if they been told to smarten up their image, rather than the scruffy casual look they normally are dressed in.

They've never heard of a watch having 48 hours power reserve before seeing the Buran 52mm beast. What?
Buy it they say, cause you want see it again, suppose their right seeing as it was at Baselworld 10 years ago.

They've never heard of a watch having 48 hours power reserve before seeing the Buran 52mm beast. What?
Buy it they say, cause you want see it again, suppose their right seeing as it was at Baselworld 10 years ago.
And referred to as a "novelty" watch:cool: Buran actually make some lovely Tonneau alarm watches;)

Reynolds is back with a double watch show tonight, half with Peter Simon and half with Mason, what's the chance Mason's most desired Vostok will be on the show, and we'll get him pleading with viewers, "please don't buy so I can get one, they always sell out and never any left for me", yet despite his claims, it continues to be on IW web site for sale and has been for months.
That is the reason that I don't buy one cos I want him to have one! I'm so kind...

Earlier in the show ...

'THESE ARE GONNA SELL OUT, I'M TELLIN' YA, CHECK OUT YA BASKETS NOW!!!'

Later in the show ...

'We're back with a show tomorrow evening and, amongst others, will feature any watches that we have remaining stock on from tonight's show.'

Eh?!?!? But ... you ... said ... things ... were ... going ... to ... sell ... out?

Here's another disgusting thing they do, wrapped up as 'doing you a favour.' They did it yesterday on a bike show. They warn people that are shopping online not to take too long before checking out. Not only, they say, is this unfair to others that want to buy (because the remaining stock numbers appear lower than they actually are due to stock being allocated to baskets) but you're also in danger of losing your item as phone buyers will be given priority. So if you've not 'checked out' and someone phones wanting the item, it might be removed from your basket to honour the phone buyer order.

The fitness/coffee machine expert gave the helpful analogy of when shopping in a supermarket. Saying when you put something in your basket you kind of think of it as being allocated to you even though you've not been to the check out. No one can take it from you. 'It doesn't quite work like that here on IW' he helpfully said, putting on a sincere face. He was presenting with Peter who's no doubt been giving him tips on that!

They go even further on the collectibles show. One night Rob got on his high horse about people 'holding stuff' in baskets and wasn't far off calling them scum it felt like, telling these people they certainly weren't welcome at the collectibles shows as it wasn't fair to those wanting to buy. Nice way to treat your viewers ...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying from a process and buying point of view they aren't telling the truth. If a buyer puts something in their online basket it will reduce available stock by 1.

However, call me cynical, I tend to think it's yet another layer in their armory now being utilized to (not so indirectly) force people to check out asap. Funny, sometimes they encourage viewers to browse the website. I would have thought therefore, unless you're intent on only buying one item, a part of the online buying experience is to browse, add an item to your basket, browse, add an item to your basket and so on … which takes time.

Earlier in the show ...

'THESE ARE GONNA SELL OUT, I'M TELLIN' YA, CHECK OUT YA BASKETS NOW!!!'

Later in the show ...

'We're back with a show tomorrow evening and, amongst others, will feature any watches that we have remaining stock on from tonight's show.'

Eh?!?!? But ... you ... said ... things ... were ... going ... to ... sell ... out?

And there will still be some watches on these shows, that we were told would be the last time we'll see them, so buy them now, that been for the last 6 Kevin Reynolds shows.

And what's this stupid thing they're doing saying part of a sentence turn about or even a word each?!? You're not the Two Ronnies! Peter and (Kevin?) do a stupid thing where they say part of the phone number each?!? And last night on a bike show Peter and the fitness/coffee expert did something similar. I'm sure it's driven by Peter as you could tell the fitness/coffee expert was thinking 'cringe.'

Exactly the word I'd use for it.

Latest posts

Back