Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I caught some of the Swan & Edgar show last night. Jokes aside, I don't know if the brand ambassador (or is he an owner of the company, the young guy?) did this off his own back or if he's been coached by IW, but he was laying on the 'I don't believe these prices' routine a bit too thickly, as in FAR too thickly.

'Don't show me the price Peter, it's genuinely making me upset.'
'Can't we just move on to the next watch Peter, I can't bear the price we're selling this one at.'

Etc. Combined with Peter doing his usual routine e.g. 'you're getting a £500 Swan & Edgar for £99.99' it was farcical. Here's me thinking like an idiot that Swan & Edgar will have agreed to all the prices with IW prior to the show going to air. I didn't realise IW just pick whatever price they want. No wonder the brand ambassadors can't bear it, poor guys and girls ;)
Yes I really feel for him, he's no idea the price would be that low? Every single time he's on it happens too. Field family need to call another meeting!

4th generation probably thicker than previous?😁

Here's something to remember. Usually, brands compete based either on quality OR price. Not both. Brands that attempt to compete on both risk failure and/or they're telling their buyers porkies. I don't mean cheaper products can't have a degree of quality, however it can never be their main selling point. Similarly, quality products can of course reduce prices, however they never devalue the brand.

For example, and yes I'm taking extremes to make my point, brands such as Rolex and Rolls Royce (whether the cars or jet engines) are promoted and sold on quality. Their history backs this up. They sell their products at a premium based on genuine quality and provenance. Would you get a Rolex retailer saying 'this watch has a book price of £15k, the usual selling price in the market is circa £12k, however we're selling it for £1,999.99.' No.

Conversely, brands such as Casio and Dacia (cars) are heavily promoted on price but will still reference quality, albeit quality that is relative to the price paid by the consumer. Their history backs this up. Would you get a Casio retailer saying 'this watch has a book price of £59.99, the usual selling price in the market is circa £49.99, however we're selling it for £129.99.' No.

However when you watch IW shilling products, I'm referring predominantly to watches here but they do it with other stuff, they attempt to do both. They try to convince the viewer they are getting a product of genuine quality (Rolls Royce) for a bargain price (Dacia.) Bear in mind the product can rarely be both, so which is it? A Rolls Royce for the price of a Dacia, or was it a Dacia all along? You decide ;)

Here's something to remember. Usually, brands compete based either on quality OR price. Not both. Brands that attempt to compete on both risk failure and/or they're telling their buyers porkies. I don't mean cheaper products can't have a degree of quality, however it can never be their main selling point. Similarly, quality products can of course reduce prices, however they never devalue the brand.

For example, and yes I'm taking extremes to make my point, brands such as Rolex and Rolls Royce (whether the cars or jet engines) are promoted and sold on quality. Their history backs this up. They sell their products at a premium based on genuine quality and provenance. Would you get a Rolex retailer saying 'this watch has a book price of £15k, the usual selling price in the market is circa £12k, however we're selling it for £1,999.99.' No.

Conversely, brands such as Casio and Dacia (cars) are heavily promoted on price but will still reference quality, albeit quality that is relative to the price paid by the consumer. Their history backs this up. Would you get a Casio retailer saying 'this watch has a book price of £59.99, the usual selling price in the market is circa £49.99, however we're selling it for £129.99.' No.

However when you watch IW shilling products, I'm referring predominantly to watches here but they do it with other stuff, they attempt to do both. They try to convince the viewer they are getting a product of genuine quality (Rolls Royce) for a bargain price (Dacia.) Bear in mind the product can rarely be both, so which is it? A Rolls Royce for the price of a Dacia, or was it a Dacia all along? You decide ;)

I remember from many years ago a (soon to be) millionaire John Bloom who firstly bought up an almost defunct razor company called ROLLS purely for the quality sounding name. This was in the early 1960s.

Then he set up a washing machine company to make affordable twin tubs that most people could afford for the first time.

And Rolls Washing Machines sounded like very good quality upmarket models, and also he sold them directly so cutting out the wholesaler and retailer.

Methinks shades of all the "quality-sounding" made-up watch names for basic watches.

Yes I really feel for him, he's no idea the price would be that low? Every single time he's on it happens too. Field family need to call another meeting!

Thick could be right, remember him saying the watches are from a time when Zeppelins bombed London:rolleyes:
Regarding hand made watches, using a car analogy, Morgan hand make cars, ie the wood, aluminium etc, is hand crafted. Ford on the other hand, assemble cars, panels stamped out, robots weld etc.
So a hand made watch is a series of metal parts hand crafted into cogs and wheels by an artisan with files & tools, a factory watch is made from stamped parts, assembled in a Chinese sweat shop in no. 4 factory, Chensuen Province (made up name btw) :)

I caught some of the Swan & Edgar show last night. Jokes aside, I don't know if the brand ambassador (or is he an owner of the company, the young guy?) did this off his own back or if he's been coached by IW, but he was laying on the 'I don't believe these prices' routine a bit too thickly, as in FAR too thickly.

'Don't show me the price Peter, it's genuinely making me upset.'
'Can't we just move on to the next watch Peter, I can't bear the price we're selling this one at.'

Etc. Combined with Peter doing his usual routine e.g. 'you're getting a £500 Swan & Edgar for £99.99' it was farcical. Here's me thinking like an idiot that Swan & Edgar will have agreed to all the prices with IW prior to the show going to air. I didn't realise IW just pick whatever price they want. No wonder the brand ambassadors can't bear it, poor guys and girls ;)

He's the one and only director of Fields Luxury Ltd, it started up in 2018. He's also connected with Barker of Kensington, but can't find the web site i found that links him ti it just now, but there is a video of him.

He might be 4th generation, but he's certainly not a 4th generation watchmaker, which is claimed in everyone of their shows.

Thick could be right, remember him saying the watches are from a time when Zeppelins bombed London:rolleyes:
Regarding hand made watches, using a car analogy, Morgan hand make cars, ie the wood, aluminium etc, is hand crafted. Ford on the other hand, assemble cars, panels stamped out, robots weld etc.
So a hand made watch is a series of metal parts hand crafted into cogs and wheels by an artisan with files & tools, a factory watch is made from stamped parts, assembled in a Chinese sweat shop in no. 4 factory, Chensuen Province (made up name btw) :)

As well as multiply descriptions of the Lancaster. You name one of your watches after a famous WWII bomber and on TV he described it as a jet fighter, :ROFLMAO: you would think he would at least research the Lancaster if he's calling one of his watches after it. :rolleyes:

On earlier Shaun was saying that the Itinerary watch was Charles the Producers favourite, "he knows about watches, better than anyone actually."

Well that's my mind made up, i'm buying the Itinerary, seeing as Charles, The Horology Guru, recommends its, how could i possible miss this opportunity to own a Hand Assembled Holorological Luxury Timepiece, with it's hand assembled 164 piece movement and first layer of leather strap, I would never forgive myself if I let the chance to own pass by. Charles know better than anyone. :ROFLMAO:

Peter Simon just said the Swan and Edgar store saw this that and the other , including ......' the celebrations of D- Day !'
What was being celebrated on D-Day Peter ?
I need to know.

Peter - "another thing James, the history of this watch is based on the might of the RAF"
Fields - "the largest aircraft, the Voyager tanker, this was a beast, you know the Hail Mary that leds us through the world wars that Swan & Edgar survived and lived through."

This boy really needs to go and do some research on the things he is naming his watches after, cause he is really clueless.

Cannon & Ball, purveyors of heritage timepieces since 1545, are proud to present its new watch;
the 'Stealth Fighter'. Based upon the famous WW1 multi-role jet which was in service with NATO throughout
the great war of 1912 to 1919, the Stealth Fighter not only combines the very best North Korean horological
design and manufacture, but encorporates that with a look which demonstrates to everyone who sees it that
the wearer is a person who has style, panache and taste.

Weighing in at 1.47 kilos, the Stealth Fighter is a magnificent statement piece. Hand assembled in the foothills of the 39th parallel by master craftsmen in the horological art. Designed to imitate the instrument panel of the famous Stealth fighter, it features not one, but two straps, which can be interchanged with just a few simple tools and a few hours moderate effort. The genuine imitation black leather strap is bonded by using an age old technique known only to a select few and is perfect for both informal and formal occasions.
The second strap is a composite metal effect PVCDVD plated, perfect for sports or adventure.

Cannon & Ball's brand ambassador, Mr. Simon Peters, has this to say about the watch:

"The Street fighter is simply exquisite. It is a combination of heritage and modern, all mixed up in a cacophony of multitudes of fantasticalness. Anyone who is lucky enough to own one will be seen to be primarily exaggerating the accent of their importance to the factors of people who they accociatify themselves with."

The Stealth Fighter was two years in the making and one look at this stunning masterpiece will tell you why.

The Steath Fighter has earned its place among the Cannon & Ball collection of heritage timepieces, however, we must warn you that this is a limited edition watch, with a production run of only 50,099.
Each timepiece is presented in an amazing leatherette box in the shape of an aircraft hanger and comes with a certificate of valuation (for insurance purposes) a booklet of WW1 facts and - for a limited time only - a free cuff-link set worth £199.99.

The Stealth Fighter has an RRP of £4,250 (please see our website) but is available to you, the discerning watch collector, for the amazing price of £149.99 + £15 p&p.

Simon Peters: "I cannot understand how Cannon & Ball, one of the UK's leading heritage watch companies, can offer this exquisite timepiece at such an extraordinarily amazing low price. I honestly think there's been a mistake somewhere? Has a zero been missed off the price? Can someone please check? Buy it now before the price goes up. You're not only getting an example of horological masterfulness in a cutting edge splendification of design, productioneering and hand assembly craftsmanship values only usually seen in watches valued at £20,000 or more, you're investing in a future heirloom which will be passed down in generations of relations across the nations for centuries to come."

The Stealth Fighter....
Oulm-Square-Wristwatch.jpg

Cannon & Ball, purveyors of heritage timepieces since 1545, are proud to present its new watch;
the 'Stealth Fighter'. Based upon the famous WW1 multi-role jet which was in service with NATO throughout
the great war of 1912 to 1919, the Stealth Fighter not only combines the very best North Korean horological
design and manufacture, but encorporates that with a look which demonstrates to everyone who sees it that
the wearer is a person who has style, panache and taste.

Weighing in at 1.47 kilos, the Stealth Fighter is a magnificent statement piece. Hand assembled in the foothills of the 39th parallel by master craftsmen in the horological art. Designed to imitate the instrument panel of the famous Stealth fighter, it features not one, but two straps, which can be interchanged with just a few simple tools and a few hours moderate effort. The genuine imitation black leather strap is bonded by using an age old technique known only to a select few and is perfect for both informal and formal occasions.
The second strap is a composite metal effect PVCDVD plated, perfect for sports or adventure.

Cannon & Ball's brand ambassador, Mr. Simon Peters, has this to say about the watch:

"The Street fighter is simply exquisite. It is a combination of heritage and modern, all mixed up in a cacophony of multitudes of fantasticalness. Anyone who is lucky enough to own one will be seen to be primarily exaggerating the accent of their importance to the factors of people who they accociatify themselves with."

The Stealth Fighter was two years in the making and one look at this stunning masterpiece will tell you why.

The Steath Fighter has earned its place among the Cannon & Ball collection of heritage timepieces, however, we must warn you that this is a limited edition watch, with a production run of only 50,099.
Each timepiece is presented in an amazing leatherette box in the shape of an aircraft hanger and comes with a certificate of valuation (for insurance purposes) a booklet of WW1 facts and - for a limited time only - a free cuff-link set worth £199.99.

The Stealth Fighter has an RRP of £4,250 (please see our website) but is available to you, the discerning watch collector, for the amazing price of £149.99 + £15 p&p.

Simon Peters: "I cannot understand how Cannon & Ball, one of the UK's leading heritage watch companies, can offer this exquisite timepiece at such an extraordinarily amazing low price. I honestly think there's been a mistake somewhere? Has a zero been missed off the price? Can someone please check? Buy it now before the price goes up. You're not only getting an example of horological masterfulness in a cutting edge splendification of design, productioneering and hand assembly craftsmanship values only usually seen in watches valued at £20,000 or more, you're investing in a future heirloom which will be passed down in generations of relations across the nations for centuries to come."
Absolutely hillarious,you just made my day.Check out your baskets now.

For my sins I was yesterday watching part of Peter Simon's sales pitch for the Swan & Edgar 'Time Guarder' watch with its truly ludicrous and so-obviously-fake backstory (who comes up with all this nonsensical rubbish about British soldiers and the Blitz, etc., obviously designed for the Daily Mail demographic?), when he suddenly comes up with perhaps the worst sales pitch ever for a watch at Ideal World (watch here: https://www.idealworld.tv/gb/shows/swan--edgar-timepieces-last-2815368?channel=iw - from 0:32 onwards):

"And I think it will be...a watch that you'll be remembered for what this 2020 has been..." (if that even makes grammatical sense) 🤣

Yes, Swan & Edgar watches are truly representative of a year when lots of people couldn't go out and several thousand people died agonising deaths, though perhaps even worse are their crass attempts to associate the relief felt by people when they can meet up with friends and family again (which is yet to happen) with the relief felt after the end of World War 2 but that's Ideal World for you (y)

Latest posts

Back