Christmas Gift Ideas TSV 17/08/20

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I spent quite a few Christmases alone after my first hubby died and I always volunteered to work part of Christmas Day so other staff with young children could have more time off. Going into work on Christmas Day not only killed time but it also reminded me how lucky I was, even though I was alone. After my shift I could go home to a warm house with a fridge full of food, lock my door, watch tv and chat on the phone to one son who at that time lived too far away to visit, another son who also worked Christmas Day and my oldest son who was often in another Country serving in the Army.
It`s only in recent years I`ve been able to see more of my sons at Christmas and am no longer alone because I remarried. Mr V and I just spend a quiet Christmas Day together. We don`t buy each other presents and we don`t go overboard buying for others. We both have birthdays just after Christmas so we wait until after New Year and then hit the sales, book a few meals out and see a few shows or concerts. Last year we went on holiday and arrived home just a few days before Christmas, this year we`re supposed to be doing the same but Covid may very well blow the holiday, the meals out, the concerts etc out of the water. I guess it will be a case of wait and see especially if there`s a second spike of Covid.

Just me and Mr L with my sister every five years or so. To me it’s just another day and wouldn’t bother with decorations but Mr L says I’m a miserable git so insists we do the full decoration bit and as we have an open plan house it is the full works as it’s difficult to just stop.

my work is manic December and January with lots of extra unpaid hours so the week off at Christmas Is mostly spent having long special meals as it’s microwave for the next 4 weeks.

We dont bother with gifts for ourselves as it would be buying just for the sake of handing over a wrapped box so we have an extra holiday around October and just buy what we want when we want it and as the years go by that happens even less as we just don’t need or want more stuff.

I spent more Christmasses on my own than I care to remember but I always put up my big tree, put a bottle of champers in the fridge and had a curry from the local takaway. Then Boxing Day I'd go to the local man's pub for a fry up and a laugh (and a cheeky half pint at 9am!!). I never minded being on my own.

Now there's Mr CC and the dogs we've had/have and things with family have changed as well so Christmas is a busier time but if it reverted back then I know I can do it.

CC

I managed to catch a xmas in July show late last night and was mesmerised by the sheer amount of tat being peddled. Stick on led lights, crystal candle holders (very pretty but pointless dust gatherers for me) a "toy" consisting of wooden discs on a stick that you were supposed to balance into a straight line...looked like bags of fun (not!) and a ridiculously expensive hot chocolate maker - I checked out some reviews as I couldn't quite believe the price (£103.95) you got a few extras ie a couple of small beakers, and two smart looking tins of hot chocolate so not all bad eh?! Despite the product having more positive than negative reviews - The negative ones told me all I needed to know (just in case I decided in a fit of pique that this would be a small price to pay for sheer unadulterated luxury in a cup). It makes one drink at a time, the aforesaid drink is lukewarm, the chocolate sachets work out costing £1.40 each and it's tricky to clean. I think my money's definitely safe here. So from what I've seen so far Xmas in July ranged from overpriced tat - to ridiculously overpriced tat. Keep up the good work Q!

Lord help us from Q`s idea of what constitutes a Christmas gift. Either cheap tat or overpriced face slap or gaudy light up gizmos or second mortgage priced Dyson hair thingies.
They`ll wheel out the usual noisy battery powered game whatsit and Charlie will be glowing with fake excitement and there`ll be a multi set of nail polishes in a genuine fake leather see through bag and JF will be ecstatic because Porchester Sq will be included.
Or there`ll be a wotnot for removing the fluff off your top lip but it will be a worthy wotnot suitable as a Christmas gift for old Aunty Ethel and her facial hair problem because the said wotnot will have 2 genuine fake swarovski crystals on the handle.
Plus the ideal gift for Uncle Jim and his flatulent bowels. A multi pack of Poo Pourri complete with a plastic sleigh to keep them in and will look a treat on the toilet windowsill.
The list goes on and you can rest assured your frozen meat will arrive in time for Christmas 2022 and the 12 mince pies at 10 quid a pop will be guaranteed to have at least a teaspoon of brandy in each box full and don`t start your New Year diet until all the Thorntons are eaten because the expiry date will probably be February so get a rush on and scoff the lot !

I love the idea of genuine fake leather LOL

The kicking Santa legs are back!

It makes it look as he has dived headfirst into the soil surrounding your xmas tea, and is violently kicking in agony as he slowly suffocates in the earth. Just the right sort of image for xmas, don't let the children look!

I’ve had it on in the background and there are a lot of items that have been drastically reduced in price, so it’s obvious that they’re using QVC at Christmas to shift stock they can’t get rid of.

Last year I really wanted the balancing toy but thought it was a bit too expensive.

This year, it is a bit cheaper, and I can afford it, so I bought it.

I know, I know, why do I want a children's toy? But it does look challenging and I like things like that, so there you go lol. And for a solid wood toy, it seems quite good value, having seen the price of other children's toys elsewhere.

And talking about balancing and challenges, I even taught myself to ride a unicycle at a very mature age.

i think its the JML Pill-O-Pad RRP £19.99

What a bulky solution for easy problem. You can buy covers with built in stands for tablets that are so slim and what's more can stay on the tablet permanently . I suppose if you're reading your tablet whilst slouching in a chair or sitting up in bed..but even so I'd rather avoid buying a chunky piece of kit like that in order to do that.

I have had a Piilo Pad for about a year, no doubt QVC will sell it as something brand new.

im wheelchair bound, and find it handy as I can place it on my lap, while moving.

it has like a sleeve, which I put on my remote in so that’s handy. Yes it says it has 3 viewing angles. But if youve a reasonable sized tablet I’ve a iPad Pro 10.5 inch, on all but one of the angles it falls off.

How they would talk about it for a slot that a TSV takes up I don’t know.

At the end of the day its a wedge of foam

I’ve always found JML to be cheap tat rip offs of other companies products............so yeah, should feel right at home at QVC then.

I’ve always found JML to be cheap tat rip offs of other companies products............so yeah, should feel right at home at QVC then.

Their stuff is touch and go imo...as in I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole and would go elsewhere to shop! Joking aside, I've had some pretty decent stuff ..the power blitzer hand blender set was pretty damned good, their version of Jerome alexander mineral powder is good and a hair straightener that you can use on wet hair - amazing! However most of the stuff has been duffers...their cookware is awful, foot scraper device...same and a few other bits and bobs that I've tried and binned. The worst ever jml purchase has got to have been the set of "Hollywood skirts" slimming and comfortable they said ..Not only did they make me look pregnant, they were the most uncomfortable thing that's ever graced my lower body - It was quite funny really as I'm a size 10-12...so I plumped (being the operative word here believe me) for medium 12-14 to be on the safe side. I wondered whether they'd sent me the wrong size...but the label said medium! Yep sent them back...I think the Hollywood bit referred to "Free Willy" or Godzilla! How can a slimming product, make someone who isn't fat (but just wants to look a little bit leaner) look fat?

Latest posts

Back