Christmas candles: what do you burn?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I was burning a medium jar of Glittering Star this morning. Underwhelming, insipid, unfestive. Vaguely fruity and vaguely cologney. A disappointment to me. It's the first and last time that will be ignited this Christmas (unless there's a power cut!).

I was burning a medium jar of Glittering Star this morning. Underwhelming, insipid, unfestive. Vaguely fruity and vaguely cologney. A disappointment to me. It's the first and last time that will be ignited this Christmas (unless there's a power cut!).
Glittering star is one of my favourites fruity plums with ginger. its rich medium to reasonably strong throw sad you don't like it

I am burning Warm and Cosy, candle and tart, at the moment and think it is absolutely gorgeous. If it pops up again on Yankee Bundles I may have to stock up.

Glittering star is one of my favourites fruity plums with ginger. its rich medium to reasonably strong throw sad you don't like it
We are all different, and that's the beauty of the different fragrances, and indeed different ranges of candles out there. It will be one I declutter, for sure... but not this side of Christmas.

I recently bought a couple of heavily discounted gift boxes from Valentte: https://valentte.com
Initially intended as pressies, but I ended up opening one and using the lemongrass & rosemary reed diffuser in the downstairs loo. OMG! absolutely divine, so now keeping both boxes for myself, and I can recommend this brand. All made with soy wax and natural essential oils. I have to be careful with home fragrance products, as Mr L generally grumbles about them and claims they make him sneeze, but he doesn't object to these.
Also, whilst I'm on the case, I'll give you another recommendation for Compass Candles: https://compasscandles.co.uk
They are a small scale hobby producer of divinely scented soy candles. Most especially of interest, as well as their signature candles, they also make candles in recycled bottles, so if you have a special champagne bottle from your graduation, wedding or whatever, you can send it off to Sam and he will cut the top off and fill it with a scented wax of your choice and a wooden wick, and return it to you.
When the candle has burned down, you can send back to be refilled. I think they are a lovely idea - they also do them in gin bottles etc. Definitely worth a look - I have an old spiced gin bottle myself, filled with sandalwood wax, and it's absolutely lush! I can light it in the lounge and the whole house is fragranced.
(I believe he is a paramedic in real life, and this is his sideline, which he hopes to make into a thriving business).

I recently bought a couple of heavily discounted gift boxes from Valentte: https://valentte.com
Initially intended as pressies, but I ended up opening one and using the lemongrass & rosemary reed diffuser in the downstairs loo. OMG! absolutely divine, so now keeping both boxes for myself, and I can recommend this brand. All made with soy wax and natural essential oils. I have to be careful with home fragrance products, as Mr L generally grumbles about them and claims they make him sneeze, but he doesn't object to these.
Also, whilst I'm on the case, I'll give you another recommendation for Compass Candles: https://compasscandles.co.uk
They are a small scale hobby producer of divinely scented soy candles. Most especially of interest, as well as their signature candles, they also make candles in recycled bottles, so if you have a special champagne bottle from your graduation, wedding or whatever, you can send it off to Sam and he will cut the top off and fill it with a scented wax of your choice and a wooden wick, and return it to you.
When the candle has burned down, you can send back to be refilled. I think they are a lovely idea - they also do them in gin bottles etc. Definitely worth a look - I have an old spiced gin bottle myself, filled with sandalwood wax, and it's absolutely lush! I can light it in the lounge and the whole house is fragranced.
(I believe he is a paramedic in real life, and this is his sideline, which he hopes to make into a thriving business).
Thank you, have forwarded the link to compass candles to a few friends. What a fabulous idea to fill old bottles.

Burned nothing on Wednesday last week.
Last Thursday I burned Red Apple Wreath - lovely, not overpowering but well balanced apples and festive spices.
Then last Friday I burned Candy Cane Forest - another pepperminty fragrance, again not all in your face, but a little less creamy than Holiday Sage was.
I am still resting from candles except when I'm working, so did not resume until Monday this week.
This week:
Monday morning was Balsam and Cedar which is much more subtle, and nowhere near as coniferous-y as I was expecting. I then switched to Spiced Berry Sangria in the afternoon. Very nice, like a fruit punch with all the seasonal spices in it... just what the name suggests. Again, subtle, but still detectable.
Tuesday I burned Angel's Wings which is a clean vanilla scent to me. Really like this one. More scent than Monday's offerings.
Wednesday was another no burn day.
Bringing it up to date - Winter Glow. If anything I would say this is most like a Clean Cotton but not quite such a powerful laundry soap scent. It's a good one to burn after a rich meal, I would say. I enjoyed it, even though I'm not a fan of Clean Cotton.
I haven't decided what to put in the festive jar holder to burn tomorrow.

I agree, Valentte products are gorgeous ❤️

have to say snow in love and angels wings..when I want a real spicy warm riot the new red "gingerbread candle" all by yankees

I have had a holiday from burning candles, but now back into the swing of things as of today.

Woodwick Fireside candle, with the crackling wick. Could be heard crackling and burning on a call. It's a bit more "perfumy" than I was expecting when burned, but a really strong scent and one I did enjoy. Debating what to burn next.
I still have quite a few I haven't lit yet, so the "auditions" for the big day are still ongoing. Inevitably I will burn Christmas Eve on... Christmas Eve!

Also from yesterday, I decided to burn Christmas Garland which if absolutely gorgeous. Not overpowering, but with good lasting ability...I walked into my living room this morning and still got a wonderful warm pine scent.[/B]
It gets good reviews & to linger overnight is fabulous, well for a candle fragrance it is, other types of lingering are not so welcome :eek:

Started Red Apple Wreath yesterday. I’m not a fan of apples scents in general but as it was bought as a gift for me I thought that I should at least try it.
Surprisingly I quite like it, but that’s probably because I don’t get any apple in it at all so it just smells nice and Christmassy to my nose.

This morning I was burning The Perfect Tree which is fan-tucking-fastic. 🥰
This is a tree, with all the pine resin to back up the pine sap and pine wood. My favourite so far.

Started Red Apple Wreath yesterday. I’m not a fan of apples scents in general but as it was bought as a gift for me I thought that I should at least try it.
Surprisingly I quite like it, but that’s probably because I don’t get any apple in it at all so it just smells nice and Christmassy to my nose.
I think it's lovely & I'd burn this one throughout the autumn as well as at Christmas. I only have one candle during December, Figgy Pudding from St Eval, & from January I'll go back to their Vintage Rose & imagine that it's summer.

Thanks so much for the links. I crave scents when it's cold but due to allergies can't burn many brands. These are worth a try.

Don't forget, everyone, that candles can be a fire hazard but plug-ins cause a lot of house fires. This was covered in a recent thread but some may have missed it. Let's all have a merry and safe Christmas.

Latest posts

Back