New Selling Technique

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

As a parent the best thing anyone said to me was that my daughters were polite & well behaved. They both have children & our older daughter will always stop any adult conversation to talk to hers & never apologises for the interruption. When my Mr T was very ill last month I called her & even though this was a serious conversation it was stop/start because of comments about how lovely a painting looked, how big the Lego model had become, how the second verse of Jingle Bells began... I wished I'd sent a text.

What an annoying child! Is there something wrong with him, or is he just an obnoxious little show off? Nicki seems to be of the school of parents who let their kids express themselves (misbehave) whilst they look on with clasped hands adoration. ‘Oh he’s such an adorable little character , don’t we all love him!’ His regular appearances are obviously staged, doesn’t he have a father on the scene who can look after him when his mother is doing a video link?
This trend of children crashing in on tv video interviews is getting quite the in thing. Don’t these people realise we are not remotely interested in their precocious offspring.😇
I didn't find it particularly cute or particularly annoying - but as LATI pointed out, had it happened to a brand ambassador as opposed to the owner of the company, then heads might've rolled. Not very professional, but kids will be kids and I suppose just "going with it" was probably better than saying...go back to bed you little sh*t - I'll deal with you later, or pushing him off screen. GF dealt with it the best she could and I'm sure all the "love him" banter was said through very gritted teeth. Hopefully the child was read the riot act off air, and told in no uncertain terms not to do it again! If it's a regular occurrence then, probably not. I couldn't see Ali Young being able to cover her annoyance so graciously, I think that would've been quite interesting to see!

No wonder there are children who grow up thinking they are No.1 in all circumstances.If you are having an adult conversation what is wrong with telling a child that they need to be quiet and why, not allowing them to interrupt.If it is properly explained to them surely it is part of their social development?

Of course it is. Because if they're not told now, they sure as hell will be later on in life, in many ways, not all subtle. But the point is these selfish parents (it's the parents, not the children, who are at fault) aren't respecting anyone except themselves and their own pampered offspring. And in this day and age, for some, respect seems to mean respect me and mine - I won't do the same for you, but I'm obviously much more important/wealthier/have a better network/have human more rights than you/whatever.

I work in a store that sells a vast amount of children's toys and books so I deal with assorted children every day (when not on furlough) I and my colleagues have come to the conclusion that many parents are scared to set firm boundaries for their offspring in case their kids won't love them.

We often have children being openly rude to us, they will open boxes and wreck displays and not a word of admonishment is uttered by the parent, I would estimate that we write off and bin about £60 worth of stock damaged by children every month.

During school holidays we have young people in the shop obviously being cared for by grand or even great grand parents and the kids take full advantage, I've often heard primary school children demanding an expensive toy and the granny trying to reason with them that it is out of their price range so young person throws a tantrum till they get their own way.

If I'd behaved like that when I was a child my mum would have given me a right ding of the lug, (Norfolk for a clip round the ear)

That is not on SusieSue but I am not surprised children soon learn when they can get the upper hand.How many times do you hear parent etc. giving a request but being totally ignored and the doting Granny on programmes like Place in the Sun saying ‘the grandchildren would love this’ when that is the main criteria for buying a property.This is coming from a non Mum/ Granny but I could never accept a child having control over me.

My mother was extremely strict, too strict really if I’m honest, if we had dared even thinking of talking back or not jumping immediately when told to do something there would have been hell to pay, and I mean hell!

The one thing was if she threatened to take away a privilege then it ****** well was taken away and there was absolutely no discussion or backing down.

This is were I think modern parenting falls down - constantly saying “if you do that again you won’t get ......” but never following through.

I worked with a woman who had 3 kids and they took their iPhones away for a day as a punishment and hid them on the top of the cupboard- half an hour later the kids had recovered them and were using away at them - she thought this was “cute”. If it had been me they would never have got them back, not for the original misdemeanour but for the fact that they deliberately went against my rules as sneaks.

I'm the result of very strict parenting, too. I was strict with my now happy, well-adjusted and independent adult children and if I said something was going to happen if they didn't stop doing whatever, all I had to do was count to 3, but we rarely got to 3 before things were remedied!

I'm the result of very strict parenting, too. I was strict with my now happy, well-adjusted and independent adult children and if I said something was going to happen if they didn't stop doing whatever, all I had to do was count to 3, but we rarely got to 3 before things were remedied!
Children need parameters, not just to make others lives more bearable but to make them feel protected & prepare them for the future. My parents weren't very strict, however, they were a team so we knew that we couldn't play one off against the other & "No" meant "No" & nothing else.

I was scared of my “mother” for want of a better word and told the husband when we were planning a family, that when we have children they will never be afraid of us, and know that they can discuss anything, they’ll laugh every day and know they’re loved and never doubt it for one single second, and violence will not be tolerated, don’t know why I bothered though because the husband is so laid back he’s horizontal 😂
The result being two loving, amazing sons who have done amazing in their chosen high powered careers, same with their wives, they’re great fathers, husbands and sons. They often tell me and the husband that they had a great childhood and the way we brought them up is how they’re bringing their children up.

But then you have our Oscar who’s autistic, if Oscar has an episode when he’s out people will look at our son and daughter-in-law as if their child is unruly, he’s not, he’s autistic. A few months back they we out and in a queue to take him on a little ride in the shopping centre when Oscar was upset by something, the man operating the ride shouted “will you shut that kid up!” My son not wanting to upset Oscar by shouting calmly turned round and said, he’s autistic. When they got home our son and daughter-in-law put in an official complaint, me and the husband were heartbroken because Oscar is a beautiful little boy, he can read like an adult, write, speak French, knows how to operate any piece of technology, photographic memory and he’s only five, his teachers want him to apply to MENSA to take a test. Oscar has two loving parents, who research a lot about autism to give Oscar the best start and progress for his life ahead, they’re so loving, calm and patient, as is Haydn and Roses mum and dad. So when you see a child “acting up” remember that child may have issues.

PS. Longest post I’ve ever done. 😂😂😂

I've had a lifetime of being irritated by having to stop my adult conversation because a child wants attention, then you forget the subject when resuming it. A) it certainly doesn't teach the child any manners, and B) its downright ignorant of the parent to halt the conversation. Many's the time the parent has said "where were we", and I've said "oh, forget it".

Maybe because we were brought up with manners at that early age is why we are so expectant of good practice now. Those that were used to interrupting as children are now adults who speak when its clear you're on the phone, or barge in when you're speaking to other people, and ask for something without a 'please'. Children in soaps and films are notorious for this, its.... "can I have ?", "have you got ?", and never are they pulled up by an adult to say please or thank you. So wrong of the scriptwriters not to address this.

I too would stand quietly while Mum was talking, or if visiting I would sit and behave myself on a chair. I was no paragon of virtue, but when reprimanded was needed my Dad would (like someone above) would count to 3 and the threat of a good hiding was on offer, we always pushed him to 2 1/2 and then fly !!! He never laid a finger on us, but he didn't need to, his voice was enough. Sadly today's Dads are a bit 'wet' if I'm honest.

My friend has three children, two older teens she has with her ex, one younger one she has with her current partner. Her partner lets his child run wild and just throws money at the problem, whatever it might be (mainly broken toys deliberately destroyed in a tantrum) or damage (again deliberate when he doesn't get his own way) to other people's property.

Her older children are well-behaved but want to spend more time with their father (for obvious reasons). She's told me on a few occasions that she hates her youngest and wishes she'd never had him. He's 8 now and quite a large child as food is a bribe for him. They recently decided, (after being told he's not autistic, just naughty, and doesn't have a physical problem causing weight gain, he's just over-fed rubbish) that they're going to start to discipline him. It's not going well as he gets physical with them both when the 'no' word is used.

Unfortunately, they're not alone. Spare the rod and spoil the child. Parents are lazy and clueless and think everything is a big joke. Society isn't helping either. I ran my own business for a while and refused entry to more than two kids at a time due to shoplifting. The parents were not amused then accused me of faking video footage of their precious ones stealing or damaging stock. That was back in the days of proper video tapes that as far as I know couldn't be tampered with. I was lucky I had a good trade so losing some of these types (they were a type without a doubt) didn't bother me - it had the opposite effect as many of my customers would avoid the shop on weekends and after school.

Just as I think shops should be telling people to wear masks and ban those who don't or abuse staff trying to enforce it, I believe shops should be happy to ban people with unruly children. Unfortunately, the mighty dollar is more important than civil behaviour. Like my old customers, I'd started avoiding shops and cafes if it was 'kids time' and go early in the school holidays.

I've made several written complaints over the years. All ignored. I'm fed up with Precious running around shops and cafes bumping into me. I'm not steady at the best of times. And I sure as hell don't want to eat at a table that Precious has been standing on so his mummy can take a photo for Insta/FB then ignore when he kicks a plate of food over.

Shop staff must hate seeing these kids arrive as much as I did. I feel sorry for anyone working in retail these days and having to put up with this sort of crap.

I was scared of my “mother” for want of a better word and told the husband when we were planning a family, that when we have children they will never be afraid of us, and know that they can discuss anything, they’ll laugh every day and know they’re loved and never doubt it for one single second, and violence will not be tolerated, don’t know why I bothered though because the husband is so laid back he’s horizontal 😂
The result being two loving, amazing sons who have done amazing in their chosen high powered careers, same with their wives, they’re great fathers, husbands and sons. They often tell me and the husband that they had a great childhood and the way we brought them up is how they’re bringing their children up.

But then you have our Oscar who’s autistic, if Oscar has an episode when he’s out people will look at our son and daughter-in-law as if their child is unruly, he’s not, he’s autistic. A few months back they we out and in a queue to take him on a little ride in the shopping centre when Oscar was upset by something, the man operating the ride shouted “will you shut that kid up!” My son not wanting to upset Oscar by shouting calmly turned round and said, he’s autistic. When they got home our son and daughter-in-law put in an official complaint, me and the husband were heartbroken because Oscar is a beautiful little boy, he can read like an adult, write, speak French, knows how to operate any piece of technology, photographic memory and he’s only five, his teachers want him to apply to MENSA to take a test. Oscar has two loving parents, who research a lot about autism to give Oscar the best start and progress for his life ahead, they’re so loving, calm and patient, as is Haydn and Roses mum and dad. So when you see a child “acting up” remember that child may have issues.

PS. Longest post I’ve ever done. 😂😂😂

I honestly see your point, Shopps, as my partner's four nephews have Asperger's.

However, there are an awful lot of non-autistic children out there that are allowed to behave in a disgusting manner - you usually see their parents on their phones trying their best to ignore them. Parents of diagnosed children tend to be more engaged with their kids as they know what might be coming. I've found that explaining to people when out with 'the nephews' diffuses the situation with the adults who then react differently to them.

The 'he's on the spectrum' excuse spoils it for the kids with genuine problems.

That all being said, children are fast learners and will find a way round a problem if they can. One hot summer's day when the windows were all open and the children were just outside, Mr C and I overheard our eldest daughter telling the other, "Just remember, Mum's the one you ask if you want to go somewhere, and Dad's the one you ask if you want sweets"!!

Thanks for putting us in the picture, daughter one! That information served your parents well.

My mother laid down the law with no real rhyme or reason. I was quite a stubborn child and felt that if I was given a reason for the “law” I could have accepted it or put forward a case for the defence but she went berserk any time I had the nerve to suggest a discussion, very much her word was the first and last word. Not a desperately happy childhood but by god I was well mannered!

Is it possible to have a happy medium?

My mother laid down the law with no real rhyme or reason. I was quite a stubborn child and felt that if I was given a reason for the “law” I could have accepted it or put forward a case for the defence but she went berserk any time I had the nerve to suggest a discussion, very much her word was the first and last word. Not a desperately happy childhood but by god I was well mannered!

Is it possible to have a happy medium?

As well as you have bad behaved children, some parents are equally as bad, if not worse. As I’ve said our Oscar is autistic, but apart from when he has a major episode which he can’t help, he’s a happy well behaved little boy and his autism is managed. Makes you wonder how some parents would cope with an autistic child, I know my estranged “mother” certainly couldn’t have, she was missing a “love” chip as in she didn’t know how to,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back