Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I don't often look at SCW's top 40, but I had a look today.

So how many of these groups do you recognise? Me - - none!

24kgoldn feat iann dior, cj, dua lipa feat dababy, digga d, masked wolf navos, tom grennan,jason derulo feat nuka, duncan Laurence, tom grennan feat ella Henderson, dua lipa, joel corry feat mnek, ava max, the weeknd, glass animals, fredo feat dave, sza, digga d & aj tracey,central cee, cardi b, atb feat topic & a7s, doja cat, shane codd, hvme feat travis scott, medusa feat dermot kennedy, riton & nightcrawlers, the kid loroi, tiesto,nathan evans feat 220 kid & bill & ted, lil tjay feat black,oliva, rodrigo

The person called feat seems to be very popular.

Yes. I always check the tops of jars when I (used to) shop at the supermarket.

One of our suppliers, Crown Cork, did a talk where I worked (not my department but I was interested as my mum kept a huge pantry). Dented tins are fine as long as they can't be depressed like the button in the top of a jar. If a tin has either/both ends bulging out throw it as it won't be safe.

I follow my mum (a young woman during the war) and stockpile. We live in a rural area and risk getting snowed in every winter so a good stockpile is common sense (though I go a bit OTT). Some of my mum's stuff were war survivors! Tins of dried egg comes to mind. Her old pantry was a joy to peruse, though some here would shudder at the age of some of her cans - they pre-dated BBE dates. I just finished a can of soup that had somehow missed my rotations. It was BBE 2006 and was fine. I'm about to use the last of my 2015 stock now.

Do you rotate your stock when you buy offers, Strato?

Mr AE worked with an ex-milkman who would dump milk down the drain on the day the date expired even if it was perfectly good. That's a crime in my book! If it doesn't smell off or go lumpy it's fine. WTF did people do before they milk was date-stamped? They used their nose and their common sense. Though common sense seems to be going the way of the dinosaurs these days.

I am annoyed at Tesco, though. I've never had a problem with milk going off before the date before I was shielding and relying on deliveries but I've had milk delivered twice in the last 6 months that's gone off a few days before date - which tells me they're not storing it properly.
Well I would not be able to smell it as I have very little to no sense of smell.

I'm a bit of a strato. If it's in my cupboard I'll eat it. I had to cut the mould off the cheese the other day to make my cheese on toast. I'm still alive. I am also eating up the last of my stockpiled from last year goods. The only thing that doesn't go out of date in our house is the wine 🧀🍷🍷

CC

My mum was a cheese addict and never had a problem cutting mould off it. There were multiple types of cheese in her fridge, all wrapped in foil. Some inevitably got mixed up and left in the back but if mum fancied that particular type she'd have it mould or not.
Well I would not be able to smell it as I have very little to no sense of smell.

Mr AE has very little sense of smell/taste so always has to have hot or very tasty food. However, he can smell turned milk. Not as quickly as me but if he pours some into a mug and then sniffs he can detect it.

Lumps in tea are a dead giveaway!

My mum was a cheese addict and never had a problem cutting mould off it. There were multiple types of cheese in her fridge, all wrapped in foil. Some inevitably got mixed up and left in the back but if mum fancied that particular type she'd have it mould or not.

Mr AE has very little sense of smell/taste so always has to have hot or very tasty food. However, he can smell turned milk. Not as quickly as me but if he pours some into a mug and then sniffs he can detect it.

If I see mould on hard cheese & I can cut away an inch to salvage the remainder I'll keep it; the same applies to apples & carrots because they've got a firm texture. If I see green on potatoes they get cut up & put in the compost bin.

🤮
If I see mould on hard cheese & I can cut away an inch to salvage the remainder I'll keep it; the same applies to apples & carrots because they've got a firm texture. If I see green on potatoes they get cut up & put in the compost bin.
what is the danger associated with green taters pls?

🤮

I know they're supposed to be poisonous but I've forgotten how. I was advised to avoid potatoes as I have high potassium levels so maybe it's that.

Greenies and peelings are great for the compost as they're supposed to be poisonous to rats, too.

I do this, too. The joys of being brought up by a family who lived through war rationing.

Or maybe I'm just tight 😂

I posted the following on the Liz Earle thread. It might actually be relevant to the Stockpiling thread as costs are going to rise. I wonder what the effect on the German supermarkets will be?

I use catheters so buy Andrex wet wipes when they're £1 (or any other makes that are on offer). They've been packs of 40 for at least a decade as I discovered them when I went shopping with a friend in London where they were giving them out. I noticed on the Tesco website yesterday that they've gone down to 38.

Whether you voted to leave the EU or not it's undeniable that prices are rising.

🤮

Potatoes are a member of the nightshade family & all the plants contain solanine; the toxins cause nasty abdominal problems but can affect the central nervous system. Potatoes that taste bitter shouldn't be eaten either & if the eyes have sprouted they can also be a source of the poison. I don't eat crisps but have always thrown away any that had green edges so that my Mr T & the children didn't eat them. Exposing potatoes to the light isn't a good idea, we have a pantry & I keep ours in black cotton bags inside a wooden crate.

An inch?? To be exclaimed like in that famous play "A Handbag!!" Or to quote Tony Hancock, that's almost an armful :)

I cut away the thinnest sliver I possibly can, probably about 1mm / 16th inch.

An inch?? To be exclaimed like in that famous play "A Handbag!!" Or to quote Tony Hancock, that's almost an armful :)

I cut away the thinnest sliver I possibly can, probably about 1mm / 16th inch.
By cutting away an inch you're ensuring that all the spores from the mould have been removed. I love Oscar Wilde & The Importance Of Being Earnest is one of my favourite plays & my dad would often say that line from The Blood Donor.

Ridley Scott produced it. I had heard so much about it and because I knew the true story wanted to watch, and then it popped up on RTE the Irish channel. It's the everyday life of the sailors which is very true to how they did live back then. And trapped in the ice not knowing what is coming.

Then add the monster.

The cast all first class.

I am planning to watch it on iPlayer but it doesn’t sound like my cup of tea at all. However the reviews were good so I shall put aside my reservations. Usually things filmed in terrible Arctic conditions just make me feel really cold! And I did read somewhere that the lighting and sound left a lot to be desired so I hope it isn’t another Jamaica Inn. I don’t mind using subtitles at all but my TV doesn’t seem to like very dark shows!

I always like money-saving tips, such as cutting open your "empty" toothpaste tube so you can scrape another week's worth of paste from the inside.

But this is the best tip I've come across so far, and it would also work for making cups of tea, boiling rice etc.

Cartoon pasta water 156988654_10.jpg

Latest posts

Back