Tanzanite AAAA Ring Has Lost Its Vibrancy

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Pre 2020 I removed all jewellery as soon as I came in and if I was not going out then I never put any on even a wedding band

I do this, too. I hate wearing rings around the house. I'm careful to look after all my jewellery. Getting soap under a stone is a pain to clean out whatever Alexis L'Occitane says.

I'm also careful when wearing them. Unlike my partner's mother who merrily scratches every car door she opens and gouges deep scratches into the inside of my windscreen by wiping her rings on it. I'm sure she does it deliberately as I've asked her to be careful and not to wipe the screen (which I keep clean and ensure is cleared of condensation/ice/snow before it's driven). I open the door for her, too.

Covid has been great - the perfect excuse to not give lifts! I wish I was agile enough and didn't need to consider a wheelchair. I'd buy a Smart Car and sod giving lifts to someone who insists on lighting up every single time then rolls her eyes when I say no, saying she forgets I have asthma.

I don’t actually know who owned my wedding band. The original no longer fitted and when my gran and then my mother died both rings were put away and got mixed up. i then gave one to my sister and wore the other but as they were the same narrow plain band i couldn’t tell which was which.

I’m shocked at this Tanzanite issue. In all the years of watching Q’s presentations I’ve never heard them mention it being a softer stone, likely to have fissures or must be kept away from water. Some of their tanzanite pieces are a couple of thousand pounds plus. 😱🤬

Sorry for the change of direction but has anybody been watching "All that glitters" on BBC2? It`s a bit like the sewing bee but for jewellers. Each week they`re given set tasks and one is declared jeweller of the week and another gets sent home. Worth a watch for anybody who likes jewellery and there`s some talented people on the programme.

I've never taken off my wedding ring & with the exception of when I'm having a shower or in bed I've continued to wear my jewellery whether doing housework, gardening or those exciting trips out to shops or for a walk.
I have taken my wedding ring of 3 times. Twice when I was expecting the Twirlettes and I was admitted to the hospital with pre eclampsia, my fingers were swollen. The 3rd time was in hospital again for a "ladies procedure".
Unlike Mr Twirl who lost his original wedding ring while swimming in the sea at Camber Sands. He now has a cheap Argos replacement that is bent out of shape. When I was working I kept offering to get him a new one but he declined as this one is comfy. He has such large fingers for a small chap that it isn't easy to get a ring to fit him anyway.

I am another who always takes rings off when washing hands. I even did it when going into a shop and putting sanitizer on. The former just wanted to make sure my fingers dried the second to make sure it was rubbed in all over my hand and fingers.

It is not just Q that does the OMG Tanzanite bow down and worship. Gems or TJC never ever have mentioned it being soft etc. There are other stones which are really soft and should only be earrings or necklaces, Apatite is not that hard and I do own a ring the gold is a great weight, and it was bought from Q years back. So far my treating it with a little care has kept it looking good. Kyanite is also a gorgeous bright blue stone that on Gems they used to compare to AAAA Tanzanite but much cheaper is also a soft stone and again earrings and necklaces but the jewellery shopping channels all sell in rings with no be careful message.

I did and enjoyed the craft side of it but I think the presenter is a huge turn-off, whoever she is. Probably someone very famous who's passed me by.
I completely agree. I am not a fan of hers anyway, but she was just so wrong for the show, imho. I reckon in future I am going to listen to the brief then FF to the resulting pieces so I don’t have to listen to her being so sardonic. The difference when compared to the atmosphere on the Sewing Bee!

I have taken my wedding ring of 3 times. Twice when I was expecting the Twirlettes and I was admitted to the hospital with pre eclampsia, my fingers were swollen. The 3rd time was in hospital again for a "ladies procedure".
Unlike Mr Twirl who lost his original wedding ring while swimming in the sea at Camber Sands. He now has a cheap Argos replacement that is bent out of shape. When I was working I kept offering to get him a new one but he declined as this one is comfy. He has such large fingers for a small chap that it isn't easy to get a ring to fit him anyway.
Oh I have just remembered that I had to remove it last year for my MRI scan so that is once for every decade that we have been married, not too bad.

I must admit I`m not a fan of the presenter on All That Glitters either. She tries to be funny but isn`t and she comes across as being a bit wooden in her style of presentation. Mind you she`s American and their humour is much different than ours.

Vienna she is Canadian/Irish. If you have iPlayer look at last weeks Have I got news for you and compare that face (recorded the day before) and last night (recorded 6 months ago).

She is often on 8 out of 10 cats. She is one of those who deliberately courts controversy like Clarkeson. Originally she was funny enough but has become a bit of a parody of herself.

Love these type of programs, sewing bee, and portrait/landscape artist / bake off etc. It’s so nice to be able to just sit and watch a gentle hour with no shouting/ swearing/ violence/ murders/ unnecessary sexual content, and most of the rubbish that makes me change channel. It’s so nice to see people genuinely try hard to excel in whatever they are doing.

I'm glad to read these posts because I bought a Tanzanite when it first became popular on QVC. Yes they look gorgeous when new, but the stone did lose its sparkle later. So clearly water ruined it, which for the money I paid was a disaster. I knew pearls and opals should never be near water, but not tanzanite. I also have a good size diamonique tanzanite ring of a realistic size and always looks good and is surrounded by realistic "diamonds".

As for heated treated stones. Most gem stones are. I remember when QVC first started to do every available gemstone under the sun, and Charlie Brooks did a show on Blueberry quartz. He maintained the colour was as found when mined and wasn't heat treated. I did some research and found that yes it was heat treated, so wrote to QVC with a copy to Trading Standards. (I also discovered that there is a RED tanzanite). There was no retraction from QVC, BUT the very next Blueberry show it was confirmed that the stone was heat treated.

Yes, Blueberry Quartz is heated treated amethyst. I bought one in clearance way back very simple east to west stone and tiny diamonds swiss set at the sides. My birth stone is amethyst and that is why I wanted one.

brissles on the Gems channel they sell bi colour Tanzanite as well.

Opals love moisture just not water. Seem if you do not wear them the can become brittle.

I was always surprised at Jill F’s engagement ring as I thought that MoP/Opal (not sure which) wouldnt have been the most suitable for everyday wearing.

She has had it in the jewellers for long periods (months) at least twice since I’ve be watching her which makes me think it must be a nightmare with all that gloop she slaps on!

I'm glad to read these posts because I bought a Tanzanite when it first became popular on QVC. Yes they look gorgeous when new, but the stone did lose its sparkle later. So clearly water ruined it, which for the money I paid was a disaster. I knew pearls and opals should never be near water, but not tanzanite. I also have a good size diamonique tanzanite ring of a realistic size and always looks good and is surrounded by realistic "diamonds".

As for heated treated stones. Most gem stones are. I remember when QVC first started to do every available gemstone under the sun, and Charlie Brooks did a show on Blueberry quartz. He maintained the colour was as found when mined and wasn't heat treated. I did some research and found that yes it was heat treated, so wrote to QVC with a copy to Trading Standards. (I also discovered that there is a RED tanzanite). There was no retraction from QVC, BUT the very next Blueberry show it was confirmed that the stone was heat treated.
It did state on the Anchorcert ring passport about being heat treated which I believe most Tanzanite stones are but Cobalt coating which is placed around the girdle of the stone to enhance the colour of lesser quality stones is not acceptable. I am not saying that mine had this cobalt treatment but apparently it wears off after a few months, the same time frame as when mine started losing its vibrancy so it does make me wonder.
Tanzanite stones cobalt treated.png

Latest posts

Back