Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It's a Lada Kev, not a Trabant 🙄
Their information on trending watch case sizes seems to be out of date 🤔 trending sizes are going down, 42 to 36mm😎
Thank you, knew it weren't a Trabant which I linked to Eastern Germany, forgot about Lada🤔
Whats all this rubbish about watch sizes😬 when I was actively collecting, mainly then vintage watches over 10 years ago 42mm was considered large and 38mm typical for a chrono. With regular 3 handed watches being smaller. So don't know were this kadet sized case comes from, he keeps spouting on about. Bigger the case bigger the movement spacer nothing to do with having special sized cases to fit. I for one are not keen on these over sized watches. 43mm plenty for me 🤭

Here's a picture of my watch
800px-Flavor_Flav_of_Public_Enemy.jpg

As you can see, it tells the time. Though, not as good as those on Ideal World.

Thank you, knew it weren't a Trabant which I linked to Eastern Germany, forgot about Lada🤔
Whats all this rubbish about watch sizes😬 when I was actively collecting, mainly then vintage watches over 10 years ago 42mm was considered large and 38mm typical for a chrono. With regular 3 handed watches being smaller. So don't know were this kadet sized case comes from, he keeps spouting on about. Bigger the case bigger the movement spacer nothing to do with having special sized cases to fit. I for one are not keen on these over sized watches. 43mm plenty for me 🤭

Just my opinion, but as men's dress watch sizes seemed to increase from the smaller 34/36mm sizes of yesteryear to the bigger 38-41mm of today (as Ronzy said this is slowly reversing), i always assumed the cadet/kadet size (around 36mm-38mm) was more a lady's size as against the larger gent's dress watch size of today, of course that's was just the way i picked up on things as i couldn't really find any difinitive info on it. But watching IW, Peter Simon seems to label a lot of watches as cadet, from 40mm to 45mm, think that is mainly because it's a word he's picked up and that sounds good and the audience will be oblivious to what cadet actually refers to size wise, a bit like when they use "Bombay glass", when there is no such thing, it's just domed glass, just used to impress viewers without actually meaning anything.

For me, and the average person (small to average wrist size)

36mm - 40mm is ok for Dress watches, prefer 38mm max but as long as lug to lug length is below 50mm then 40mm is ok, any bigger then it isn't a dress watch any longer.

38mm - 43mm is a good size for diver's watches, Pilot watches, or Auto Chronos etc. Personal preference is 40mm for Diver and 42mm for Auto Chrono.

Once you start getting bigger than that then, unless they have short lug to lug, you really need to have large/huge wrists or you have watches that look way too big for or over hanging your wrist.

I think, just my opinion of course, that many of these brands on IW (or online in general) with the bigger watch case sizes that are made in China, most of these brands seem to concentrate around 45mm mark and up, and it is easier and more economical to produce bigger watch cases, which are easier/simpler to add finishing (big square or slightly rounded edges, brushing, polishing/ plating etc) and will accommodate a bigger range of movements and dial styles than say smaller case sizes, which will only accommodate smaller movements, need more skillful better finishing, reduce amount of dials styles that can be accommodated, etc. So for these brands to get watches at low prices they get whats easiest for the back street watchmakers to produce/offer wholesale, ie big and bulky, make them gaudy add useless sub dials and inner and outer bezels to hide the fact that they really are low quality, don't have good case finishing, quality movements etc.

That's not a tourbillon watch, just an automatic open heart watch movement, seller is just trying to con folk, quite a common practice on Ali etc to see open hearts described as tourbillons. All you see moving in an open heart movement is the balance wheel spinning back and forth and the escapement is rigid in place, which is what the video on that page is showing. In a tourbillon the whole escapement including the balance wheel is rotating, If you watch the video on this tourbillon watch you see how it should look. :)

But 100% agreed with the point you're making, they don't have to cost thousands and can be had for a few hundred, which the link above shows.
I had already placed an order for 1,000 of the Ali ones before I read your post. However I'm not worried, I've been engaging with IW and TJC, they advise me they'll put my watches on at £249.99 with an RRP of £1,249.99 :)

Kev's clutching at straws now with the union flag watch 😂 now he says he over ordered 🙄 what he means is, nobody bought one 🤣

What they don't seem to realise is apart from a few of their brain dead cult followers, nobody is interested in adding a watch with Ideal World engraved on it, to their collection.

What they don't seem to realise is apart from a few of their brain dead cult followers, nobody is interested in adding a watch with Ideal World engraved on it, to their collection.
I'm not so sure. I can imagine it playing out something like this a hundred years from now on the Antiques Virtual Reality Roadshow ...

The watch as a standalone item is nice enough and probably worth in the region of £1,000 so not an entirely bad investment by your grandfather. However we then turn it over and see this ... the Ideal World 21st Anniversary case back. As many of us know, Ideal World was the world's foremost shopping television channel back in the days when television existed. People watched the channel and bought the high quality items offered. This changes things. Remember I said 'worth £1000'? Well, that case back increases the value to £75,000, and I'm being conservative with that valuation.

If you don't already, I'd strongly suggest you put this watch on your household insurance.

;)

LMAO :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Elixinol guy on just now and I don't know what's funnier.

a) He's slicked his forward hair to hide his receding hairline. (looks worse than Peter Simon)

or

b) He's wearing an Captain America watch (From Invicta, the original "let's make watches huge & gawdy with ridiculous RRPs" brand, perfect watch to wear on IW, fits in well with their own offerings. ;))

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm not so sure. I can imagine it playing out something like this a hundred years from now on the Antiques Virtual Reality Roadshow ...

The watch as a standalone item is nice enough and probably worth in the region of £1,000 so not an entirely bad investment by your grandfather. However we then turn it over and see this ... the Ideal World 21st Anniversary case back. As many of us know, Ideal World was the world's foremost shopping television channel back in the days when television existed. People watched the channel and bought the high quality items offered. This changes things. Remember I said 'worth £1000'? Well, that case back increases the value to £75,000, and I'm being conservative with that valuation.

If you don't already, I'd strongly suggest you put this watch on your household insurance.

;)

That was funny. (y):ROFLMAO:

On a serious note, thing is, it was never a £1000 watch in the first place, has two things against it being worth anything near £1000, one being the movement, they showed the back of the watch (probably never thought folks would realise) and it's the lowest of the four SW200 grades you can get, most watches you'll see in the say £500-£1000 range will have the second level grade (elabore grade) in them. And second, it's only PVD bronze plated case, for a £1000 you'd expect it to have an actual bronze case. All in all take away the IW engraving & flag and at most you would have a £400 - £500 watch, maybe slightly less. ;)

Reynolds is getting worse with his exaggeration, stories and just overall presentation style, really is turning more and more to the dark side.

Reynolds is getting worse with his exaggeration, stories and just overall presentation style, really is turning more and more to the dark side.
like the Aviator divers style watch for some countries military, they made 20,000 of. Turned it over and it said words to the effect " thank you for serving your country". Not what you would expect on the back of a military issue watch. No issue numbers and would it have "Military Edition" printed on the dial, I doubt it. Looked to me like a present for when you finished your service. Might be wrong🤔

like the Aviator divers style watch for some countries military, they made 20,000 of. Turned it over and it said words to the effect " thank you for serving your country". Not what you would expect on the back of a military issue watch. No issue numbers and would it have "Military Edition" printed on the dial, I doubt it. Looked to me like a present for when you finished your service. Might be wrong🤔

That wasn't too long ago was it? Seem to remember something about that, according to Reynolds was only available to the military it was made for, but Reynolds had manged to get hold of some, no mention of what military it was for if i remember, i had doubts about the watch too.

Being the billionaire that I am, I have decided to get into the watch making business.

Thinking of calling them Wang, made and sold from Switzerland of course. First off the 1p per hour production line is Roll. You have to put it on your insurance though to buy one, £1299 down from £1299.99.

Being the billionaire that I am, I have decided to get into the watch making business.

Thinking of calling them Wang, made and sold from Switzerland of course. First off the 1p per hour production line is Roll. You have to put it on your insurance though to buy one, £1299 down from £1299.99.
You can't call them Wang, it is the name of a computer company.

Latest posts

Back