Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Shaun - "Here's a little bit of the incredible brands history"

May as well start with a lie.

Oh new guest, Steve, that'll be to hide The Swan & Edgar and Gamages link. :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO:

They are just ****** con artist, liars, fraudsters etc etc.
Yeah, all joking aside, it's pretty disgusting truth be told. The brand and what those people achieved (originally) has absolutely NOTHING to do with these watches. To see the IW presenter bleat on about the British 'history' of the brand, making a clear link to the watches being sold, is contemptable. I notice they're not saying where these watches are actually made, unless I've missed it. And the way they keep using the word 'engineering' is an insult to skilled engineers everywhere.

What gets me with these 'brand buy-ups' is the fact they usually have nothing linking them to the original brand and personnel. If it was a case of a company closing down and x years later ex employees (managers, shop floor etc) buying the brand and opening a new manufacturing facility, that would be different. In that scenario, they could say with relative confidence 'continuing the brand and its ethos.'

This isn't what's happening here.

And as for all the GUFF about men perving at other mens watches 24/7 and saying how they feel like they should be selling for £100's ... Ha Ha HAaaa. I wonder if they'll start showing 'realistic' RRPs in future shows ;)

Yeah, all joking aside, it's pretty disgusting truth be told. The brand and what those people achieved (originally) has absolutely NOTHING to do with these watches. To see the IW presenter bleat on about the British 'history' of the brand, making a clear link to the watches being sold, is contemptable. I notice they're not saying where these watches are actually made, unless I've missed it. And the way they keep using the word 'engineering' is an insult to skilled engineers everywhere.

What gets me with these 'brand buy-ups' is the fact they usually have nothing linking them to the original brand and personnel. If it was a case of a company closing down and x years later ex employees (managers, shop floor etc) buying the brand and opening a new manufacturing facility, that would be different. In that scenario, they could say with relative confidence 'continuing the brand and its ethos.'

This isn't what's happening here.

And as for all the GUFF about men perving at other mens watches 24/7 and saying how they feel like they should be selling for £100's ... Ha Ha HAaaa. I wonder if they'll start showing 'realistic' RRPs in future shows ;)

That's putting it mildly, quite a few things i would call it but that language is not for this type of forum. ;) :ROFLMAO: It's disgraceful they are allowed to get away with this.

Unfortunately there will be some who fall for this con.

Laugh at the guys story for the Time Guarder, sees the cockpit in the dial and the dark blue of the sky, and waffling on about flying in an aircraft in the war in 1914 and you're being thrown around in an aircraft you needed your watch to be protected and this watch has the crown guard tp protect it.

Which i suppose for IW audience may sound great, but they should be asking themselves:-

a) why has a watch with an flying story have a Diver's Bezel?

and

b) why is he using a story about planes in 1914, when the crown protector is just a copy of Panerai's crown lever guard that they introduced in the 1950s on their DIVER's watch as the lever was designed to add extra pressure on the crown to get a better watertight seal?

A while ago one of the S&E one star reviewers on IW said how disappointed he was that the first 'British made watch' he'd bought had stopped working after only a few weeks. They just deliberately mislead people.

Yeah I've seen their CCCP reviewers saying how glad they were getting their first Russian watch. :oops:

Although we have a laugh at the shows here, it's really a shame that folks, who obviously don't know much about watches, are being conned by these bunch of liars.

I've complained twice (and others here have also complained) to ASA about their watch shows, and both times ASA upheld my complaint but took IW at their word that staff have been made of their error and it won't happen again, yet they have continually gotten worse and worse. 99.99% of their watch shows contain either highly misleading info or outright lies, both from the presenters and pretendy watch expert guest.

The sad (and disgusting) thing about all this deception is that some people, who perhaps haven't that much money, are buying these things, maybe as a present, thinking that they're getting something a bit special.
I'll say first of all I would never make fun of people that are on a budget. Not everyone can afford to buy tier 1 products, much of which cost a small fortune.

However, when I watch selly telly (especially at this time of year) and they bleat on about 'would make a wonderful gift, imagine your nearest and dearest opening this on Christmas morning' I do feel sorry for those that think they're getting a great product.

I picture a gran/grandad buying something like a S&E watch for their grandson, believing the hype. I then picture the grandson opening the present and most likely having to fake his pleasure at receiving the gift!

The sad (and disgusting) thing about all this deception is that some people, who perhaps haven't that much money, are buying these things, maybe as a present, thinking that they're getting something a bit special.
Also Ideal World sell other watches that are at least well-established as reasonable quality items outside of the Ideal World universe such as Mathey-Tissot, Traser and Vostok (even if overpriced), therefore to also sell something like Swan & Edgar amongst them, priced at similar price points to their established brands yet inferior in quality and reputation despite claiming otherwise during their presentations makes it even worse. You simply can't trust Ideal World as a retailer to provide honest advice about ANYTHING when they do something like that (let alone some of the tat sold elsewhere on the channel).

Latest posts

Back