New Presenters

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Nothing better than back in the day when you could ring Knowsley and they would pass your comment directly to the studio and presenter to be addressed. Even better when they put you through to speak to the studio staff to get your comment addressed. Then await till returning from a break to hear an answer or we have had a comment from someone asking.
(Just to say heaven forbid I’m certainly not a ringing live on air customer)

Unfortunately these girls will have to be losing QVC an awful lot of money,before anything is done.
Box tickers are very hard to remove,without a big fuss being made.
But turning it around the old shop assistants are hardly,anything to look up to.
You only have to look at recent events,in the past few weeks.
I am a 'shop assistant' and being 64 years of age I guess I'm considered an old shop assistant.

Yesterday I worked 12 hours straight preparing the Christmas lay out in store, and while doing that myself and my team delivered excellent customer service, from advising about educational books to a stressed young mum who's child was falling behind in school to a distressed elderly lady looking for something for her husband who had recently been diagnosed with dementia and everything in between.

We can do this because we have extensive knowledge about all our products.

We had two pallets of delivery to deal but and a young man wanted a balloon bouquet for his girlfriend because it was her birthday and he planned to propose, so he took priority.

It is not the first time you have referred to QVC tat peddlers as shop assistants which I feel is deeply insulting to all shop staff

Please stop using the term shop assistants in a derogatory way about QVC presenters when they are not fit to lick the shoes of the people who work in a bricks and mortar store day after day for minimum wage or are you one of those customers that believe that it is acceptable to patronise and be rude to shop staff because they are only shop assistants?

Having worked in a shop myself, I fully agree with you about the skills needed to be a good shop assistant. I always refer to these Q people as sales people, rather than the word they like to use to describe themselves, "presenters", because presenting is not what they're doing, it's pure selling and QVC is trying to big itself and them up by calling them "presenters". I think the point Old Man Steptoe is trying to make is that they are certainly no better than shop assistants, but I don't think he's trying to be derogatory about people who do that job. I agree - Q sales people wouldn't last five minutes dealing with all the stuff shop assistants have to deal with, then deal with the dreaded targets and reviews after a day of dealing with everything Joe Public throws at them with little job security and poor pay.

I am a 'shop assistant' and being 64 years of age I guess I'm considered an old shop assistant.

Yesterday I worked 12 hours straight preparing the Christmas lay out in store, and while doing that myself and my team delivered excellent customer service, from advising about educational books to a stressed young mum who's child was falling behind in school to a distressed elderly lady looking for something for her husband who had recently been diagnosed with dementia and everything in between.

We had two pallets of delivery to deal but and a young man wanted a balloon bouquet for his girlfriend because it was her birthday and he planned to propose, so he took priority.

It is not the first time you have referred to QVC tat peddlers as shop assistants which I feel is deeply insulting to all shop staff

Please stop using the term shop assistants in a derogatory way about QVC presenters when they are not fit to lick the shoes of the people who work in a bricks and mortar store day after day for minimum wage or are you one of those customers that believe that it is acceptable to patronise and be rude to shop staff because they are only shop assistants?
Unfortunately they are shop assistants,but not very good or knowledgable about any products,in fact without doubt just holding a iPad,with a earpiece getting instructions is just about their capabilities.
As for the term shop assistant what should I call them,please don’t fall down the hole,I’m now offended by the words shop assistant,then the world has gone woke mad.
As for being derogatory I worked in retail until retirement,I have had all sorts of things to deal with good and bad.It comes with the job some people are extremely rude,some are very kind and great to deal with.
Your correct in saying they are not fit to fit to lick the shoes of people working in the retail industry.
Please don’t take my posts as a slight on your goodself.
If you are offended by the term shop assistants then please ignore my posts,it’s easy to be offended if you think it’s aimed at you or any other retail worker,I understand that but please don’t give these people the title of tv presenters.
Just slightly off subject I never had a freebie product in my life from work,that’s the difference between normal retail and the QVC tat peddlers.

I've also done my fair share of working behind a counter, and I agree with all the comments above - from both sides of the argument. Maybe its an 'age thing, but the youngsters who are in retail today don't appear to have the training or 'gumption' in people skills that were first and foremost decades ago when working in a shop.

Yesterday I visited The Range, and a young man served me at the till. He passed through half the items then started chatting to a colleague behind him whilst operating the till, he made a mistake so there was extra time while he recalculated, wouldn't have been necessary if he was focused on the job. Next was Matalan, where a young girl was swigging from a can at the till. A regular till operator at my local Co-op is one level up from the village idiot, its pointless asking her anything as "I don't really know".

I'm not decrying by any means that all retail workers 'haven't a clue', and times change, but the general standard across the board in all industries of customer care is bordering on the non existent, so perhaps those in Management Training are to blame.

As for QVC, well perhaps presenters is a promotion too far, so how about product sellers ?

I never trust anyone who doesn’t like animals 😳
My neighbours don't. They BANG ON THE WALL when Obie barks - admittedly when an Owl hoots/next doors dog barks first/noise on kick out time. He barks even more when they do this. He's thinking of having a poo on their doorstep.....

More importantly animals don’t like them. 🤔
Dead giveaway of devil in disguise

She went to drop in for the booster, most 59 year old won't be 6 months after their 2nd jab yet but she is due to her volunteering 🙄😒
'drop in'....says it all

What’s her excuse for dropping in at the Tory Party Convention?
Back to old June and the booty shaker,I thought June held it together with dignity and grace,under severe awful presenting from her co host.
Where! Link!! What have I missed?

Totally agree! My six are a joy to behold.
six!!! Wow!

It’s a terrible sweeping statement to say you don’t like ANY animal. Its the sort of thing people remember about you, and not in a good way.
Who can even dislike a little bird?

I think standards have dropped in every profession and then you have to factor in those who would have been rubbish even 20 years ago.
Most people in my age group are likely to consider it more than just something to put bread on the table because it’s the way we have been brought up. Lots of young folk are good workers but many more are clueless. I actually find the 40-50 age group are the least likely to put anything more into doing their job than is strictly necessary to not get fired and these are the ones who are in supervisory roles so it’s not a bit of wonder that those they are in charge of don’t know how to conduct themselves.

Regarding Q presenters in the real world of retail- how would Jill F cope in my renovated Marks where they are not allowed to sit at the tills but have to stand their entire shift and at a door where a force 10 wind whistles in every time the door opens when she comes in to the studio half dressed and then complains about the cold the entire show. They don’t know they are living on the pigs back and wouldn’t last a second if they were actually accountable to anyone with half an ounce of common sense and not snowflakes in the gallery.

It sounds like you do a really good job, Susie. A good retail assistant is worth their weight in gold.

Unfortunately they are shop assistants,but not very good or knowledgable about any products,in fact without doubt just holding a iPad,with a earpiece getting instructions is just about their capabilities.
As for the term shop assistant what should I call them,please don’t fall down the hole,I’m now offended by the words shop assistant,then the world has gone woke mad.
As for being derogatory I worked in retail until retirement,I have had all sorts of things to deal with good and bad.It comes with the job some people are extremely rude,some are very kind and great to deal with.
Your correct in saying they are not fit to fit to lick the shoes of people working in the retail industry.
Please don’t take my posts as a slight on your goodself.
If you are offended by the term shop assistants then please ignore my posts,it’s easy to be offended if you think it’s aimed at you or any other retail worker,I understand that but please don’t give these people the title of tv presenters.
Just slightly off subject I never had a freebie product in my life from work,that’s the difference between normal retail and the QVC tat peddlers.
You could call them tat peddlers :)

I'm not offended by the words shop assistant, I'm offended by QVC nonentities who don't know their @rse from their elbow being compared to shop assistants.

My neighbours don't. They BANG ON THE WALL when Obie barks - admittedly when an Owl hoots/next doors dog barks first/noise on kick out time. He barks even more when they do this. He's thinking of having a poo on their doorstep.....

Dead giveaway of devil in disguise

'drop in'....says it all

Where! Link!! What have I missed?

six!!! Wow!

Who can even dislike a little bird?

There you go Blissy...enjoy!

Please stop using the term shop assistants in a derogatory way about QVC presenters when they are not fit to lick the shoes of the people who work in a bricks and mortar store day after day for minimum wage or are you one of those customers that believe that it is acceptable to patronise and be rude to

Noooooooo! I think they sensored it! My, she's a little coarse.

You could call them tat peddlers :)

I'm not offended by the words shop assistant, I'm offended by QVC nonentities who don't know their @rse from their elbow being compared to shop assistants.

There you go Blissy...enjoy!
I've called them that for quite some time. I think that everyone should experience working in retail & other customer service roles; those in the QVC studios wouldn't last a week in a proper shop.

Working on TV and working in a shop is not a fair comparison, they involve very different skill sets on the whole. It's easy to criticise but being able to keep gabbling seems to me be the main one as I realised years ago while watching a newbie on another channel drying up after a few moments and then talking in stilted slow motion while obviously trying to follow instructions through the earpiece. Not every presenter will appeal to all and of course new people will take time to find their way. I expect Ophelia and Annaliese have plenty of fans despite the views on here.

I am watching now where RL is on with one of the new presenters, sorry but that girl is wearing the wrong skirt for her hips, either that or the wrong size. Do any of them look in the mirror before they go on air, or does no-one advise them. Beggars belief.
I don’t like any of the new presenters.

Working on TV and working in a shop is not a fair comparison, they involve very different skill sets on the whole. It's easy to criticise but being able to keep gabbling seems to me be the main one as I realised years ago while watching a newbie on another channel drying up after a few moments and then talking in stilted slow motion while obviously trying to follow instructions through the earpiece. Not every presenter will appeal to all and of course new people will take time to find their way. I expect Ophelia and Annaliese have plenty of fans despite the views on here.
But the point is, they both involve selling, and it's on that basis that the shopping telly sales people are being compared in this thread, since they and their employers have elevated themselves from being mere sales people to being called "presenters" when in fact, skill set difference or no, the end aim is the same - to shift stock, ie to sell, not to "present".

I am watching now where RL is on with one of the new presenters, sorry but that girl is wearing the wrong skirt for her hips, either that or the wrong size. Do any of them look in the mirror before they go on air, or does no-one advise them. Beggars belief.
I don’t like any of the new presenters.
I think Ruth is missing Jackie! No connection between her and O. Ruth is beginning to look mildly irritated !

And spaniel ears is hardly the sharpest pencil in the box. Ruthless should be well able to cope with childish behaviour both in the studio and at home since she has plenty of practice which surprises me as she comes over as quite bossy.

I think Ruth is missing Jackie! No connection between her and O. Ruth is beginning to look mildly irritated !
Ruth was bigging Ophelia up at the start of the show, what a lovely lady O is, met her on her first day blah blah and O bowing down to Ruth. Wondered how long that would last. Didn't see the rest of the show as I had to go to the pub. Mildly irritated doesn't surprise me. I saw it with June and Evie and probably more.

CC

Latest posts

Back