Wheel of Deals

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I own four Morganite rings bought years back, 3 from Gems. There is more colour from those in yellow gold, the one in white gold still has colour. None are peach pink but a soft pink. I have one bought from eBay which was a TSV way back on QVC as I remember the ring not on easy pay mid-month and £90+ at the time so was out for me. On eBay under £50 large stone and white gold, the colour is pale pink no peach.

Any I have seen on Gems when flicking in recent years are all much paler than all of mine.

I agree about the ligt box, it does make you questioin why the item is not being shown in the flesh, so to speak. Also about the talking incessantly, often about nothing to do whatsoever with the piece they are selling. When they do wheelie hours, they rabbit about the item but the camera is still showing the wheel and you get to little, sometimes no shot at all of the piece, yet people are still buying.

Monday nights on Lifestyle are a laugh - refurb hours! I mean wth? The wheel is sold out, usually completely before the hour begins, without even seeing items at all. You can change your mind if you decide against a piece but there is this wierd frenzy to secure your piece first. By the way, what is refurb all about? These items have poor metal work or damaged stones, chips in them, earrings that are not matched pairs, pearls and stones of different colours. There is nothing refurbished about them at all. Refurbishment is when a faulty item has been repaired / rectified (or am I wrong?) but this is just second rate tat being sold as seen. Shoud be illegal under the trades descriptions act.

Last week, Jake Thompson-Bennett was whipping viewers into a frenzy over a show called "pearls by appointment". Constant references to famous pearls of course and HM the queen and her pieces, exquisite. Then, he peddles Gemporia's offerings. Pearls were set in 9ct gold, low gold weights, naturally. The pearls, instead of being professionally drill set and secure, were glued in-place! Would Lizzie II or any other lady of discernment have glued pearls in their collection, erm.. probably not. Yet of course, the hyped-up audience were snapping them up, lunacy imo. I genuinely feel sorry for the customers who find their pearls are missing, dropped out because Gemporia can't be arsed to set them properly.

Has Kate McCarthy lost the plot? I used to like her but over the last few months if I catch her hours, she annoys the heck out of me. She keeps saying "hello, hello, hello" to the pieces and even saying "she", personifying the jewellery. That and the constant hair flicking / fiddling. She is not alone in that habit, Adina is always fiddling too. Tie the sodding hair up! I tie my long locks up for work, it wouldn't do to be messing with it all night.

Anyway, I have vented and it feels good lol. xx

I own four Morganite rings bought years back, 3 from Gems. There is more colour from those in yellow gold, the one in white gold still has colour. None are peach pink but a soft pink. I have one bought from eBay which was a TSV way back on QVC as I remember the ring not on easy pay mid-month and £90+ at the time so was out for me. On eBay under £50 large stone and white gold, the colour is pale pink no peach.

Any I have seen on Gems when flicking in recent years are all much paler than all of mine.
I wish I had gone for the motganite way back in the day when we got decent stones, well set in a good amount of gold but that ship has sailed and I missed it. The stuff they push now seems like very small, pale stones, usually set in a minscule amount of rose gold. I think the rose gold reflection gives the stones the false appearance of having more colour than they do.

You did bloomin' well on the ring from eBay. I will have to have a surf but am broke this month, so will have to wait. January is so long. We get paid the week before Christmas and then not again until the end of January, I try to stretch it out but I always fail and end up with something like £20 in my account by payday!

I never noticed how much Adina fiddles until I read this forum. I do remember a comment getting through on screen complaining about her fiddling with her hair. It came on and went off really quickly, but she saw it. I really do watch too much Gemporia lol. My husband jokes we should have a drinking game for every time she says the phone lines have gone ballistic.

Funny story: the pendant was so small that when the recipient opened her Christmas present she exclaimed: "How lovely! You got me stud earrings! But.... Where is the other one?"

Yesterday I caught them selling Malawi Garnet jewellery. I am a huge fan of garnets. The funny thing is that one of the rings I bought from them last year was a Malawi Garnet and, although lovely (this is the only thing I bought from them that was without problem), it looked nothing like the lightbox filming they showed- both yesterday and when I bought it, to be honest. I know someone that also bought a Malawi garnet from Gems a while ago and it looks exactly like mine. In other words, no purple hues and certainly not the blue and green hues she mentioned at some point! Of course these are natural stones and colours may vary, so I spent the entire show trying to see properly in the presenter's hand to see if it was a lightbox issue or a real difference in colour. However, she had the rings on camera for such a short period that I couldn't reach a conclusion.

Oh yes, I forgot to say all the pricng errors they make, if it were true they would have been out of business many moons ago! Seriously, who falls for that crap? As you say Deasmum, the stuff is barely flashed on the hand , if at all in some auctions, often just the light box. Then when a ring is shown on the hand, it is kept constantly moving, never kept still. I think this is a deliberate tactic. I read a review online a long time ago from an ex-Gemstv producer. Apparently, keeping the piece moving makes it appear to sparkle more and hides obvious imperfections in the stones. The chap said that Mr Bennett specifically trained his staff to do that and called it spin doctoring. If true, that is shameful behaviour and personally, I know who I would believe. I used to have to pause the telly in a hope of seeing the tem when still but it is absolutely no guarantee that your piece won't be a dud. I like garnets too and I am pearl obsessed but Gemporia's pearls can be a lottery in terms of quality, even Charlie Barron's offerings. This morning when I got home from work, it was all Nilamani, isn't that just dressed up Kyanite? They were comparing it to Kashmiri sapphire, spin doctoring again!

Talking of annoying overly used phrases like Adina's "the phone lines are rammed" phone lines, or in meltdown, we can but hope! What about Hattie's constant use of "here today", that one drives me bananas.

I remember once when they said the phone lines were rammed and they showed the call centre (before Covid) and the room was half empty like half of them had gone on a break and the two in there didn't even look like they were on calls. All that was needed was a tumbleweed to blow through.

Favourite phrases of Adina's (other than the phone lines have gone ballistic of course) - heirloom jewellery, museum quality, this is genuinely the best one I've ever seen, we will never see this again. Of course we will see it again, it will be on Angeline's show tomorrow!

I was flicking around channels last night during an ad break.

This is one that really does make me PMSL is Adina showing a piece then straight to Tiffany's website same stone. OH, this is $6,000 (cheap for Tiffany) ring and our one is £249! They just love to show Bulgari, Tiffany etc jewellery pieces and unless the customers are really stupid must know there is no comparison between the quality, gold weight or platinum to their now wafer thin gold or even now mainly in silver. Oh, and the carat weight and always diamonds on the Tiffany etc sites whilst they do zircon. Nothing wrong with zircon, I have two blue zircon rings bought years back, but the idea they push that they are as good as diamonds is stupid. No, it is more profit for them, as zircon is a cheaper stone.

Oh, I am so angry today! My mother was caught up in the hype about Minas Gerais Kunzite and bought a piece of jewellery with the stone. It was shown as pink if not lilac on TV and on their little films on the website.... What my mother received today was completely colourless. It looks like a colourless piece of glass in a brilliant cut. Seriously, what a rip off! Of course my mother is now going to return it, but if feefo is right we will not see a refund for quite some time. There are many people on feefo saying that refunds take about 3 weeks when not more.

I've sent a few things back since Christmas. I've been waiting just over a week for the first one and haven't received an email that the refund has been processed yet. If the ring is faulty though, they will refund the postage too

Oh, I am so angry today! My mother was caught up in the hype about Minas Gerais Kunzite and bought a piece of jewellery with the stone. It was shown as pink if not lilac on TV and on their little films on the website.... What my mother received today was completely colourless. It looks like a colourless piece of glass in a brilliant cut. Seriously, what a rip off! Of course my mother is now going to return it, but if feefo is right we will not see a refund for quite some time. There are many people on feefo saying that refunds take about 3 weeks when not more.
That’s terrible but I’ve been gobsmacked a few times by their gems being diluted looking. They sit there with glee, don’t know how they can do it, it’s a con. No wonder they very often only show the piece fleetingly unlike the lightbox.

I absolutely agree, Mommabear!
But is it just me or the Deal or More Deal is not exactly the most successful event? It seems that often they don't succeed in persuading viewers to play the game with them. Twice already I have seen a member of staff, in a conspicuous red jacket, choosing from the boxes because they didn't have a viewer to do it. And on other occasions I heard the presents saying they were struggling to find people to play the game...

I absolutely agree, Mommabear!
But is it just me or the Deal or More Deal is not exactly the most successful event? It seems that often they don't succeed in persuading viewers to play the game with them. Twice already I have seen a member of staff, in a conspicuous red jacket, choosing from the boxes because they didn't have a viewer to do it. And on other occasions I heard the presents saying they were struggling to find people to play the game...
I watched the cameraman open a box earlier, nobody on the phonelines. The box had a £1 off and Angeline told the cameraman to pick another box as £1 off was rubbish. (Don’t put it in there then 🙄) The next box was 40% off but to be honest, the silver bracelet they were selling was only worth what the eventual price was anyway. I wouldn’t say it was in any way exciting or a great deal, not the ones I’ve seen anyway , no wonder there’s not many takers.

Hello again! I am currently watching Gemporia and they are selling sapphire earrings set in silver... For 249 pounds! Is it just me or they are selling silver jewellery at the price they would previously sell gold one? I know that the sapphires are high carat stones, but still...
I would not pay so much for silver, I confess

Shocking prices. I didn't see the show but I can believe it. They are very often claiming that the stones are so exquisite that they should be set in 18ct gold or platinum. If that were true, they would be. I think it is just lies and the prices are grossly inflated. I am with you, I wouldn't pay those prices for stones set in silver

Latest posts

Back