Missing wedding rings

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Oh it is I used to take it regularly to have the scratches polished out .
When we got married there was either 9ct or 22ct wedding rings. I wasn't keen on the 9ct ones
9ct - a pale comparison. Precious little gold in it.
Linked to this subject I don’t see why, in 2022, women are still adopting the use of the word Mrs. Why is it only women that declare marital status via their title? . All women should have just one title as men do.
I believe 'Ms' is the title used for women other than Miss or Mrs.

9ct - a pale comparison. Precious little gold in it.

I believe 'Ms' is the title used for women other than Miss or Mrs.
My point was that it shouldn’t be Miss, Mrs or Ms, it should just be one title used by every woman, and I don’t mind what that title is. I have used ’Ms‘ since I was 18 years old but so often get ‘is that Miss or Mrs ?’. A man even said to me recently ‘oh you’re one of those’ when I gave my title as ‘Ms’. it’s an equality issue. Imagine a 58 year old unmarried man still called ‘master’ as a title. Or imagine men being asked to adopt new titles that declare marital status after they marry, not gonna happen!

I’m not really sure what you would use other than Joan Smith but then we are get into what you identify as (but we won’t go there yet again!)

The whole Miss, Mrs, Ms can be annoying. I recall my sister who is married getting really annoyed when filling in some form on a website. She is married but goes by her maiden name, so usually just puts Miss X as that is how she has always been know. This form wanted your marital status so she answered married and form told her she couldn't be Miss X had to be Mrs, except she is not Mrs X, she is Mrs Y yes but not Mrs X. Oh and Ms was not an option on this website.

When I married Mr V I never changed my name. I still use my married name from my first late husband. I was married to him for 32 years, have been married to Mr V for 11 years and if me and Mr V last another 21 years and reach 32 years married then I`ll change it to his. Mind you by then he`ll be touching 100 and I`ll be in my 90`s so we`ll both probably have forgotten our own names if we live that long. Joking aside, I really couldn`t be bothered trying to get used to another surname and having to change all documents such as passports, banks etc etc so I just kept the surname I was used to and had used for a long time.

Very sensible Vienna. The hassle of changing everything put me off as well. I didn't change because I like the name better than my own and everyone knew me as that name rather than my maiden name so why rock the boat.

CC

So did I. It was a lot easier than changing all my bank accounts, legal documents, online accounts etc., etc.
That is main reason by sister kept her maiden name, the hassle of changing everything, plus when she got married she had been known by that name in her industry of work for 15+ years.

"Few people realise that ‘Mistress’ is the root word of both of the abbreviations ‘Mrs’ and ‘Miss’, just as Mr is an abbreviation of ‘Master’. ‘Miss’ was adopted by adult women for the first time in the middle of the 18th century. Before that, Miss was only used for girls, in the way that Master is only ever (today increasingly rarely) used for boys. To refer to an adult woman as a ‘Miss’ was to imply she was a prostitute."

The above is taken from this very interesting read......................

A colleague of mine got divorced and reverted to her maiden name. She then remarried within two years and changed her surname again. To say the children in the school were confused was an understatement as she’d had three different names during their time in the school. That’s another reason why I kept my married name. The children had enough to cope with, with the National Curriculum, without having to deal with new surnames for their teacher. 😉

I changed my original surname to my step-dads surname as our real father didn’t have anything to do with us. I then married and changed to first hubby’s name. When we divorced I changed back to step-dads surname. Remarried again but couldn’t be bothered to change it straight away. Also, I had gone out with my 2nd hubby very briefly when we were at school and he loved my surname then. However, my new mother-in-law didn’t like me and didn’t think we’d last so I changed to new hubby’s name to make a point and to annoy her as I then had the same name as her (we do get on now) 😂😂 We have been together for 24 years so will be keeping this current surname. So, I have had 5 surnames to date.

I also have to take my wedding ring off when I put handcream on as I get eczema. Last year I lost it after taking it off. We searched everywhere for it and after 3 months we bought a new one. Literally a few days later my hubby foind it wedged up against the skirting board at the back of the bed. No idea how it got there. Hubby has a wedding ring but only wears it when on holiday. He’s an engineer and won’t risk losing his finger.

Latest posts

Back