Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yesterday a woman was seen in Aldi with 80, yes 80, tins of tomatoes. The manager was called to the checkout & took 76 tins back to the shelves - I'd have made her do that & supervised her stacking them correctly. I don't know if she had still got them in her trolley or had put them on the belt 🤣

Oh T, I’d have given anything to have seen that.........oh the shame. 😂 😍

Own up - - - - who is advertising for a date in this thread??;)

View attachment 18494
I've just told Graham that I'm being asked if I want to date a local mature woman :eek: but I'm probably too mature for them !!! and not something that would float my boat anyway.

Yes I have frozen semi skimmed but we also have soya milk which I have not tried to freeze.
Why don't you have a milkman ? I've had a delivery of milk all my life, and they deliver groceries too, so I have eggs once a fortnight.. Never any problems.

I haven’t seen milk deliveries in Northern Ireland for at least 15 years and probably a lot longer than that. Cheap loss leaders in supermarkets and corner shop/petrol stations was the death of them. Unlike England we don’t have a choice of dairies.

I wish this weather would improve so I could at least work in the garden if I’m going to be stuck at home, there are only so many cupboards you can (or want)to clean out.

I can`t remember the last time I saw a milkman where I live. When we were kids we used to find the milk frozen in the bottles on the doorstep and my Mum used to leave egg cups out for the milkman to place over the foil tops because the birds pecked through them and if you weren`t quick enough to rescue your milk off the step during Summer it would turn sour in no time. We didn`t have a fridge when I as really young and I can remember we had a large steel pan filled with cold water which Mum stood the milk bottles in.
I must say milk tasted much better back then or maybe that`s my childhood memory of it. Milk wasn`t expected to last longer than a day or two because it wasn`t filled with preservatives like it is now and the sell by dates on the modern day plastic bottles are days if not weeks.
Our local farmer delivered the milk and his 3 sons were his unpaid helpers. He had a flat back small truck, no electric milk float back then and his lads would jump off the back of it, hands and arms full of bottles and scurry off like billiard balls in all directions, placing full bottles on doorsteps and lifting empty bottles in one smooth movement. They`d jump back on the truck which never stopped moving and their Dad stayed behind the wheel the whole time.
His sons were just kids, in fact one of them was in my class at Primary school and they`d do the milk round before school in the morning and then help around the farm after school and at certain times of the year such as lambing or hay making they wouldn`t even arrive at school. Their Dad just presumed that they`d finish school at 15 then work on the farm so in his eyes school wasn`t important.
Around a month before Christmas he`d come around every Friday evening to collect his milk money off customers like he usually did but he`d have one of the lads with him writing in a notebook who wanted to order a turkey or a goose for Christmas. He bred them and delivered them oven ready on Christmas Eve. My Mum said Farmer Riley yes that really was his name, couldn`t read nor write as he`d spent his life working on the farm firstly with his own Father and then running it himself so barely had any schooling but she also said he was tighter than a duck`s arse and could reckon up to the last penny and knew to the halfpenny who owed him what and exactly how much.

I can`t remember the last time I saw a milkman where I live. When we were kids we used to find the milk frozen in the bottles on the doorstep and my Mum used to leave egg cups out for the milkman to place over the foil tops because the birds pecked through them and if you weren`t quick enough to rescue your milk off the step during Summer it would turn sour in no time. We didn`t have a fridge when I as really young and I can remember we had a large steel pan filled with cold water which Mum stood the milk bottles in.
I must say milk tasted much better back then or maybe that`s my childhood memory of it. Milk wasn`t expected to last longer than a day or two because it wasn`t filled with preservatives like it is now and the sell by dates on the modern day plastic bottles are days if not weeks.
Our local farmer delivered the milk and his 3 sons were his unpaid helpers. He had a flat back small truck, no electric milk float back then and his lads would jump off the back of it, hands and arms full of bottles and scurry off like billiard balls in all directions, placing full bottles on doorsteps and lifting empty bottles in one smooth movement. They`d jump back on the truck which never stopped moving and their Dad stayed behind the wheel the whole time.
His sons were just kids, in fact one of them was in my class at Primary school and they`d do the milk round before school in the morning and then help around the farm after school and at certain times of the year such as lambing or hay making they wouldn`t even arrive at school. Their Dad just presumed that they`d finish school at 15 then work on the farm so in his eyes school wasn`t important.
Around a month before Christmas he`d come around every Friday evening to collect his milk money off customers like he usually did but he`d have one of the lads with him writing in a notebook who wanted to order a turkey or a goose for Christmas. He bred them and delivered them oven ready on Christmas Eve. My Mum said Farmer Riley yes that really was his name, couldn`t read nor write as he`d spent his life working on the farm firstly with his own Father and then running it himself so barely had any schooling but she also said he was tighter than a duck`s arse and could reckon up to the last penny and knew to the halfpenny who owed him what and exactly how much.
Another Vienna classic. I love them.

If London is put under lockdown will the Q still broadcast?
I can see hours being reduced. I also know that freelancers have been let go in some areas at VERY short notice...so some things will likely be curtailed. Even though presenters appear to be freelance, I bet it doesn't apply to them, more's the pity... I expect we can expect to see no Julia or Ali K, as their previous treatment will still leave them vulnerable. Probably expectant mums or mothers with young kids will be absent too. So I'm expecting omnipresent Chloe and Debs!

Could conscious be the catalyst for the end of Q, or are they hoping all those confined to their homes will be beguiled into buying more stuff? Not sure what the sales pitch will be!

A couple in ALDI today had a full box of tinned Mackrel the checkout operator only allowed them to have four. They said they were for their greyhound.
I imagine the dog has breath-taking farts if they are genuinely feeding it mackerel...!

Well, more emails Liz Earle and staff at counters no touching.

Selfridges are closing all their stores.

Nars is closing their warehouse.

Hermes is a cracker. They are delivering but if they need a signature the driver will be signing and leaving your parcels in a safe place even if you have not safe place ticked. So the usual throw it over the gate and run.

M&S we will carry on keeping our customers served but staff will be taking more care with hygiene(wearing gloves) handling stuff. No bra fitting well they are crap going by my friend getting it down.

Gary Neville the footballer is closing his hotels but keeping them open for NHS staff free of charge to stay in if they cannot get home. All his staff are being paid their full wages even if laid off until everything is back to normal.

I haven’t seen milk deliveries in Northern Ireland for at least 15 years and probably a lot longer than that. Cheap loss leaders in supermarkets and corner shop/petrol stations was the death of them. Unlike England we don’t have a choice of dairies.

I wish this weather would improve so I could at least work in the garden if I’m going to be stuck at home, there are only so many cupboards you can (or want)to clean out.
My Granddaughter her husband and 12 year old and 3 year old are in isolation since Monday when the little one developed a cough. They’ve already made sour dough bread, scones and cup cakes. They’ve had a concert and a drawing pictures of family members session. They are having a play dough session today and the board games are on standby. We are have conversations on Alexa but trying to keep everyone upbeat is not easy especially when we are staying indoors ourselves. I think I might put the Christmas tree up this weekend lol. 🎄🎄

How are all the ****** people you see with these laden trolleys finding the goods to stockpile? Our local shops have none of the main items being bought and I cannot get a home delivery before the 8th April. My neighbour has just caught the bus to Asda so I asked him for a status report when he gets back. He asked me if I needed anything which I don't but he has to carry the stuff anyway. For a joke I felt like saying just some loo rolls and hand sanitiser please!

My ex once told me he used to shoot blue tits off the milk bottles. His mother would go nuts if he broke the bottle.

Now. apart from the fact that I didn't dump him immediately (I was 13 at the time - young and extremely stupid), what else was wrong with that sentence? Why the hell didn't his mother take the gun off him? I went on to marry that man (I needed my head read and should have listened to my mum who always told me he was a ne'er do well. Mum was always right). He was a bit psycho while we were married. He was an absolute nightmare while we were divorcing. I bitterly regret those wasted years but I'm older and wiser now (a lot of one, a bit of the other :LOL: ).

Our milkman was amazing, too. Always put the egg cups on the bottles to keep the birds off, never missed a day no matter what the weather and we live rurally on a mountain so snowfall was often heavy. Amazing bloke. Ranks up there with our current postie. I remember mum putting our milk in an old tin bath of cold water whenever the electric was out (frequently when I was a child).

Does anyone remember milk freezing so hard it would rise tower-like out of the bottles?

I'd heard recently that a local had started a milk and bread round but he's not quite up with us yet. I'll definitely be putting my name down!

I saw this care home on news at 10 last night and it was wonderful to see how happy the residents were after getting their letters and cards. Now school children are going to be at home for weeks it might be an idea for them to draw pictures , write letters or make cards for either this particular home or others. As I said in an earlier post my hubby is a part time taxi driver who regularly takes people to visit spouses or family in nursing or care home but so many have now been told they can no longer visit and are really upset their loved ones won`t get to see them.
It also might be good for any older people who are self isolating to do the same because the care home have said many of their residents want to reply to people.
Below is the link to the news article and I`ll also cut and paste what the home have written on facebook which includes their address.

Can we ask you for a favour? We have restricted access to our home but that doesn't mean we aren't sociable. Could you take the time to write to us? A card, a letter, a drawing? Tell us where you are. Who you are and tell all of our residents a bit about your day? What you like doing and if you send your address we can write back too. All ages most welcome. We can share some on here too.
We might be behind closed doors but we've got lots of people who would love to hear from you.
Address is
Swarthmore Care Home
31 Marsham Lane
Gerrards Cross
Buckinghamshire
SL98HB

Ps. Be great if you can share this post.. Be nice to get some post from near and far.. always something to discuss!
Thankyou 😊
From all of us at Swarthmore

Do you find the predictive t3xt/auto spell check dreadful? I’m using an iPad but unless it is a fluke it only got this bad since the new forum.
It bounces about all the time,no thank you button . I have found when replying to a post the emoji button,along with rest,are greyed out. I'm on android and and auto spell seems to be ok.

Yesterday a woman was seen in Aldi with 80, yes 80, tins of tomatoes. The manager was called to the checkout & took 76 tins back to the shelves - I'd have made her do that & supervised her stacking them correctly. I don't know if she had still got them in her trolley or had put them on the belt 🤣
Been shopping this morning,total mayhem. Most of the fridges and freezers completely empty,no milk,yoghurt not much bread but replenty of fruit and veg. Managed to get an online shop from Tesco on 6th April, of the main supermarkets that deliver they were the only ones we could access. Ocado's site was closed and the others said to try back later

I can't copy the picture, so here is a link to my local rag reporting on video about a golden toilet roll which has mysteriously appeared in front of the museum.

This was posted in the WRONG thread.

I've reposted it so this could be DELETED by an admin.

I may have posted this previously in the wrong thread.

Here is a link to my local rag and a tongue in cheek video by one of the reporters about a new statue which has mysteriously appeared.

Cartoon toilet rolls 89968331_31320963.jpg

Latest posts

Back