Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Right at the start of the Heritor show Nanty said something along the lines of ‘Throughout the show we’ll be checking the prices on the Heritor website to show you are saving hundreds of pounds’

What a schnide little rat he is(n)

And that is exactly what the CEO of Resultco (Heritor's owners) said their philosophy was, their web site prices have been enhanced so their dealers can offer big discounts, because customers like discounts. Implies they are getting a real bargain.

“Today’s consumer needs to satisfy their mental state to want a discount when making a purchase. To aid the retailer we enhance the retail price with an expectation that the dealer will discount at purchase. We allow the dealer to promote Heritor based on design and cost.”

Lot of schnide rats out there.;)

Well, you’ll be lucky if there is much value left in a years’ time, let alone in thirty or forty years’ time, in 2050 there won’t be any monetary value left to de-value for the watch in question. It may have sentimental value because their Father owned it but that’s the only value it will have, apart from being a bit colourful there isn’t anything remotely special about it, it’s got a bog standard Chinese case and movement. The chances are that it won’t be working or at least not working well and will need a service, which will likely be more than the initial or future value of the watch.

I'm sorry, but I must disagree. Many of the presenters who have offered these masterpieces of horology to the discerning buyer have intimated that they are solid financial investments! I mean the collector is off to a running start as far as their investment is concerned simply because of the fact that they have been able to purchase these fantastic timepieces at vastly reduced rates - just see the manufacturers own websites if you don't believe me! Hats off to IW buyers for their ability to secure such merchandise at £100's below RRP!

A short while ago Shaun mentioned that the watch he was selling (I forget the model name - the one with the enamel embellishments and opening back) could be engraved on to personalise.

Now, thirty or forty years down the line, after the owner has died, and their children roll up at the jewellers to cash in on their heirloom, wouldn't having it engraved devalue it?

Surely future watch connoisseurs would rather invest in vintage masterpieces of horology which do not bear someone else's name?!

Sorry but you're wrong on this. 100% wrong. Here's why. Such is the true value, rarity and heritage of these timepieces, they will in reality only be bought by genuine A list global superstars, royalty and the worlds multi billionaires. We know this because IW occasionally show a sheet of A4 with badly photoshopped yachts, supercars and mansions along with some of the watches they sell. This tells us the calibre of who is actually buying these watches.

So, the point I'm making is when the engraving will very likely say something like 'To William from your gran, The Queen' it's hardly likely to impact the value, if anything it will greatly increase it.

Just thought I should point that out to you :)

And that is exactly what the CEO of Resultco (Heritor's owners) said their philosophy was, their web site prices have been enhanced so their dealers can offer big discounts, because customers like discounts. Implies they are getting a real bargain.

“Today’s consumer needs to satisfy their mental state to want a discount when making a purchase. To aid the retailer we enhance the retail price with an expectation that the dealer will discount at purchase. We allow the dealer to promote Heritor based on design and cost.”

Lot of schnide rats out there.;)

In a way this statement is disgusting, regardless of the fancy management speak wrapped around it, and strengthens the point I made a couple of weeks back. Across the retail world, RRP's often mean diddly squat these days. It genuinely frustrates me the way they frequently reference the RRP and/or IW 'usual price.' To sell a watch, mattress whatever and say 'look, you're saving £500' is in reality a falsehood as the product will never, or very rarely, sell at the higher price.

WAKE
UP
WORLD

and breathe ...

Sorry but you're wrong on this. 100% wrong. Here's why. Such is the true value, rarity and heritage of these timepieces, they will in reality only be bought by genuine A list global superstars, royalty and the worlds multi billionaires. We know this because IW occasionally show a sheet of A4 with badly photoshopped yachts, supercars and mansions along with some of the watches they sell. This tells us the calibre of who is actually buying these watches.

So, the point I'm making is when the engraving will very likely say something like 'To William from your gran, The Queen' it's hardly likely to impact the value, if anything it will greatly increase it.

Just thought I should point that out to you :)

You do have a valid point here. I can imagine - thirty of forty years down the line - there will be timepieces coming on to the market which will have been owned by superstars of today and personalised with such messages as 'To Kanye. Happy Birthday. Love Kim'. I would imagine that these will pass through the leading auction houses though.

Given that money is no object for these sort of buyers, my guess is they purchase direct from the manufacturer. They'd really be kicking themselves if they ever tuned in to IW and saw the fantastic savings on RRP which are always available on luxury timepieces.

Strange comment from Miss Gerrards there, commenting on the sub dials on the day & night watch, she says "we have the Day/Night indices as well at 4 o'clock ", Indices, since when did Indices become sub dials. :confused: Geesh would have thought our resident horology expert would know the difference between sub dials and Indices on a watch.

Really are shocking these so called experts. :ROFLMAO:

Hayley's really taken with the Constantin Weisz watches, great gifts or Father's day presents she says, once you buy one you''ll buy more. Maybe she should put her money where her mouth is, and buy one for her partner Sean. I'm pretty sure he would be ecstatic wearing one of these Limited edition, hand made, luxurious timepieces, would certainly be a step up from that crappy Longines Hydroconquest he usually wears . :ROFLMAO:

I had to giggle the other night when Shaun was presenting a watch show, can't remember the brand. He said to the brand expert along the lines of

'And you know Bob (name made up as can't remember :) ) how long have you been bringing watches to us now? And for all that time, never once have I handled a watch that, you know, has felt as though something might fall off. And never once has anything broken.'

I thought to myself talk about clutching at straws to find stuff to say! And if the best thing you can say is 'bits don't fall off' maybe don't bother saying anything at all!

Then on one of the other shows the brand expert (woman, don't know her name either!) decided to drop the name Faberge in when describing some of the case work as it reflected a technique Faberge use. May well be true, however I just thought to myself here we go, yet another sales technique they use i.e. referencing genuine tier 1 brands. Subconsciously trying to make the viewer/buyer think the product they're looking at is on a par with. I used to dip into TJC and they do the same. 'Look at the design of this gold necklace we're selling you for £99.99. Now look at this gold necklace, the SAME GRAM WEIGHT, selling on a well known retailers website for £9,999.99. They're practically identical!'

YAWN ...

Then on one of the other shows the brand expert (woman, don't know her name either!) decided to drop the name Faberge

Are you absolutely sure she didn't mean.....
51M17H7PoiL._SY355_.jpg

I had to giggle the other night when Shaun was presenting a watch show, can't remember the brand. He said to the brand expert along the lines of

'And you know Bob (name made up as can't remember :) ) how long have you been bringing watches to us now? And for all that time, never once have I handled a watch that, you know, has felt as though something might fall off. And never once has anything broken.'

I thought to myself talk about clutching at straws to find stuff to say! And if the best thing you can say is 'bits don't fall off' maybe don't bother saying anything at all!

Then on one of the other shows the brand expert (woman, don't know her name either!) decided to drop the name Faberge in when describing some of the case work as it reflected a technique Faberge use. May well be true, however I just thought to myself here we go, yet another sales technique they use i.e. referencing genuine tier 1 brands. Subconsciously trying to make the viewer/buyer think the product they're looking at is on a par with. I used to dip into TJC and they do the same. 'Look at the design of this gold necklace we're selling you for £99.99. Now look at this gold necklace, the SAME GRAM WEIGHT, selling on a well known retailers website for £9,999.99. They're practically identical!'

YAWN ...
That made me remember a watch show a while back, some car related make, cant remember now, had a brake disc and caliper on the face, anyway, the disc part was held by screws inside the case, and I noticed one of the screws rattling around the case as the presenter showed it. Quality? HA:rolleyes:

DP on the Black and Decker air conditioner...."please hurry and checkout your baskets. We were only able to secure a very small number of these and you're saving hundreds of pounds"

Or if you get stuck, they are £15 more on Amazon :cautious:

Vol au vent was the best "it's only "X" decibels" turns it on and it sounds noisy! Normally their mics don't pick up much background noise, but this thing could clearly be heard whooshing away.

That made me remember a watch show a while back, some car related make, cant remember now, had a brake disc and caliper on the face, anyway, the disc part was held by screws inside the case, and I noticed one of the screws rattling around the case as the presenter showed it. Quality? HA:rolleyes:

Probably DeLorean, bit like Constantin Weisz, German outfit who make all sorts of claims, big, brash and made in China.

Reynolds is back with a double watch show tonight, half with Peter Simon and half with Mason, what's the chance Mason's most desired Vostok will be on the show, and we'll get him pleading with viewers, "please don't buy so I can get one, they always sell out and never any left for me", yet despite his claims, it continues to be on IW web site for sale and has been for months.

I feel like having a whip round and buying that ruddy watch for him :D

Mike Mason says he doesn't want you to feel in any way hurried or pressured but exactly the opposite is reality. I flicked over a few times before bed last night and with his arms flailing, each time I turned over, check out, check out, check out, interspersed with how they're having trouble getting the stock. This was the bike and vacuum. I felt exhausted and went to bed!

DP on the Black and Decker air conditioner...."please hurry and checkout your baskets. We were only able to secure a very small number of these and you're saving hundreds of pounds"

Or if you get stuck, they are £15 more on Amazon :cautious:

Vol au vent was the best "it's only "X" decibels" turns it on and it sounds noisy! Normally their mics don't pick up much background noise, but this thing could clearly be heard whooshing away.

'I SAID IT'S REALLY REALLY QUIET! NO .…. NOT QUIT ..... QUIET!!! NO ..... NOT QUILT .... Q U I E T !!!'

Latest posts

Back