Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Of course Mike Mason, doesn't care what folk say or think about him, he has the brass neck to go on TV and openly deceive and misinform viewers (and he's not alone in that dept) in an attempt to encourage them into buying IW products, he's got no scruples or conscious, if he did, he wouldn't be saying and doing what he does. Like most conmen, who don't give two hoots about their victims, I doubt very much the views of others bothers him in the slightest.

Talk about 'conmen' and 'victims' is going too far.
People do actually receive the goods they order you know- let's not get carried away.

Talk about 'conmen' and 'victims' is going too far.
People do actually receive the goods they order you know- let's not get carried away.

Well you are entitled to your opinion, but I have to disagree with it and I bet quite a few on Trust Pilot would also disagree.

From the dictionary:-

Conman - a man who cheats or tricks someone by gaining their trust and persuading them to believe something that is not true.

Victim - a person who is tricked or duped.

Both of those statements have been shown to be TRUE of certain shows on IW.

Whilst folks indeed, receive the goods they ordered, are they receiving the quality of goods or goods that are of the true value, to which the presenters have alluded to? Answer to that is NO, especially in relation to quite a few of their watch shows, or are you saying it's quite acceptable for a presenter to say that a £150 watch that is nothing more than high street affordable fashion watch at best, or just equivalent to Ali express watches is on a par with a £4000 luxury Swiss watch.
On an odd occasion you could give the benefit of doubt to the presenters, but it's virtually every show where the quality and value of an item is vastly exagerated to give the impression the buyer will be getting an extremely high quality product at a fraction of it's true value.

Well you are entitled to your opinion, but I have to disagree with it and I bet quite a few on Trust Pilot would also disagree.

From the dictionary:-

Conman - a man who cheats or tricks someone by gaining their trust and persuading them to believe something that is not true.

Victim - a person who is tricked or duped.

Both of those statements have been shown to be TRUE of certain shows on IW.

Whilst folks indeed, receive the goods they ordered, are they receiving the quality of goods or goods that are of the true value, to which the presenters have alluded to? Answer to that is NO, especially in relation to quite a few of their watch shows, or are you saying it's quite acceptable for a presenter to say that a £150 watch that is nothing more than high street affordable fashion watch at best, or just equivalent to Ali express watches is on a par with a £4000 luxury Swiss watch.
On an odd occasion you could give the benefit of doubt to the presenters, but it's virtually every show where the quality and value of an item is vastly exagerated to give the impression the buyer will be getting an extremely high quality product at a fraction of it's true value.
Yes - the sales methodology is toxic, we can certainly agree on that.
Also the after sales and customer support is , by most accounts , terrible.
My point is that if you order a watch , an iphone or whatever you do receive said item - a conman victim scenario is when they take your money and leave you with nowt.
I imagine that most customers are more or less satisfied , or the business would have gone under.
Also ..... the contortions of the presenters really do provide terrific entertainment:):):) !!!!!!

Yes - the sales methodology is toxic, we can certainly agree on that.
Also the after sales and customer support is , by most accounts , terrible.
My point is that if you order a watch , an iphone or whatever you do receive said item - a conman victim scenario is when they take your money and leave you with nowt.
I imagine that most customers are more or less satisfied , or the business would have gone under.
Also ..... the contortions of the presenters really do provide terrific entertainment:):):) !!!!!!

That we can all agree with. :ROFLMAO:

I get what you're saying, and for a lot of products the over exaggeration doesn't matter to much, although i don't subscribe to the notion that you have to be left with nowt to be conned or a victim, you can have received an item and still have been both.
It's when it comes to more expensive items, ie watches, as you know i like my watches, i really do feel they are seriously conning folks on a lot of these shows, yeah the customers end up with a watch, but it certainly not of the quality or value that was described, and it's that description/advice which is what they the viewers are making their decision to purchase on.
Imagine some parents, want to by a watch as a present for their son, maybe his 21st, oh look a Swan & Edgar watch, presenter/guests says it's a £400/£500 watch massively discounted as an introductory offer to £150, they say they are a long established british watchmaker with four generations of watchmaking experience, only use the best materials, hand made on a par with top Swiss brands, that's great, a quality watch at a bargain price, son will be pleased, wonder how they would feel if they knew in reality it was a £20 rebadged Ali Express watch. Bet they would feel conned. ;):)

Anyway, we can agree to agree on some points and agree to disagree on others, to hot to be on PC typing the day, nae often we get these temps up here. (y):)

I tend to think that if IW is selling a product by a manufacturer that you can do some research on then you are on safer territory. So if it's by Tefal, George Foreman, Bamix etc then you have some assurance of quality and can do genuine research for comparative pricing. Its when the branding is unfamiliar that I think people are more successful duped. Often the IW price on branded items is the best available so then the choice is for us to take the 'risk' with choosing IW to be the supplier.
The issue with plants seems to often be that the studio sample is the best of the nursery or has been grown on to show what the plant will look like. Couple that with delivery delays and poor handling by the couriers and its going to end in tears.

Well it's Ballast watches tonight, a lot of them look like Fat Face watches, don't like those either. MM has just gone into a "I don't care what people say about me, or think about me" tirade, perhaps he does read this forum:unsure::ROFLMAO:
I have always believed the MM read this forum, years ago there was a fan of his on here, defending everything he did, who I believe was him.

I would assert if someone sells you a product and, as part of their sales pitch, they inflate the actual worth of said product to a significant extent (knowing their information isn't necessarily 'fact'), then you have been conned. If said information influenced your buying decision and led you to buy, you are a victim of the con. Yes it's maybe low level stuff compared to multi million pound global cons, however it's still a con/victim scenario.

I recall years ago my mum was getting double glazing, well not for her it was for the house :) We asked how long the work would approx. take and the salesman said (I almost remember it verbatim!):

'Oh I reckon for your size of house they'll be there for at least a week. They're highly skilled tradesmen. They'll gradually chip chip away at your existing windows before taking great care when installing the new ones. And, because your installation is quite unique, I'm going to arrange for it to be photographed for the monthly trade magazine. The front door combination you've gone for is totally unique.'

The men where in and out in 2 days and no one with a camera ever appeared :)

Innocent exaggeration to help get the sale, or low level con tactics? I know what I think.

Great entertainment on IW on ITV last night in the wee small hours.
Becque and fitness guru Tim were selling ...…. the Teeter Inversion thing.
Needless to say they both claimed to have bought it themselves.( Becque claims to have bought everything he presents , and usually adds a bit of made up detail ,as though that makes it more credible.)
Tim told a convoluted and uncovincing story about how he has lent his to a friend who has a hip problem.
The two of them were hanging upside down like bats telling us how great it is.
Becque was doing his meltdown routine - they didn't have enough stock left to get through the show.
Miraculously though, and to everyone's surprise and relief the stock held out.
Phew !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow....iPhone 7 128gb (refurb) only £279.99 and available on 4 flexi payments.....amazing (not)

Alternatively, go to Amazon and buy a brand new one for £299.99 with 5 interest free payments available. I hate that viewers will get suckered in by such a terrible purchase.

In a way part of this goes back to the con/victim thing. Peter S stood there presenting last night, voice strained, saying along the lines of:

'and you know, at present these iPhone 7's are just SO hard to come by, now's the time to buy' or words to that effect.

Quick check on Google, lots of places selling them at comparable prices or cheaper. No I can't comment on the quality (in terms of how well refurbished) but that aside other places WERE selling them. So not exactly hard to come by.

On about Peter during there matress hour last night, he started talking nonsense, then whoever was in sound, must have clocked on, and started playing that music Hovis had in there adverts in the 70/80s his ramble had sod all to do with mattresses, and they done a close up almost just with his on screen gross, Imagine what the guests must think.

I notice just after doing 2 craft shows the other night, Rob Locke is getting slaughtered on the Craft Telly forum, he made. It all about him

In a way part of this goes back to the con/victim thing. Peter S stood there presenting last night, voice strained, saying along the lines of:

'and you know, at present these iPhone 7's are just SO hard to come by, now's the time to buy' or words to that effect.

Quick check on Google, lots of places selling them at comparable prices or cheaper. No I can't comment on the quality (in terms of how well refurbished) but that aside other places WERE selling them. So not exactly hard to come by.

And to think just a week or so ago, they were telling us we didn't need to spend money on dearer premium brand phones, when the Alcatel £59 phone would do all the functions most of us need from a phone. ;) :ROFLMAO:

Funny how one day, higher spec, higher price, premium brand is not what you need, next day it's high spec, high quality cameras it's what you need so just buy it.

On about Peter during there matress hour last night, he started talking nonsense, then whoever was in sound, must have clocked on, and started playing that music Hovis had in there adverts in the 70/80s his ramble had sod all to do with mattresses, and they done a close up almost just with his on screen gross, Imagine what the guests must think.

I notice just after doing 2 craft shows the other night, Rob Locke is getting slaughtered on the Craft Telly forum, he made. It all about him

Although we moan a lot about the presenters, this just reinforces my opinion that what is wrong with Ideal World isn't solely restricted to the presenters and they are only a small part of the problem. We can debate whether it's con/victim or call it something else, but the fact it is allowed to happen and the stupid monologues, lies, misinformation etc, are not only condoned but played along with, just screams to me that those behind the scenes are every bit as bad maybe even worse than the presenters, the back room staff (producers, managers, buyers etc) may be the main instigaters for the problem.

And now we have them selling a Beldray 16" pedestal fan.
Really wonder if any regular viewer would even look at this item, as for the last fortnight Ideal World have done all they could to rubbish pedestal fans, basically been calling it old tech and crap, in favour of the Boneco air shower fans.
But I suppose when you've no Boneco's left, pedestal fans are great again. :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back