Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I sometimes use EZP but when I do they are my only debts and then I could have chosen to pay in full upfront.I once applied for a store charge card and was denied until they did additional checks.I was mortified but then I probably ‘didn’t exist‘ in credit terms?That’s my understanding anyway!A reality check for anyone ordering a lot from Q is to add up what has been spent in P&P! The cost of just trying that face cream might be around the £10+ mark.

They’re also going on non-stop about using EZ pay. I can just imagine the poor customers who bow to the pressure and end up struggling to meet the payments after Christmas. In this current climate, with so many people being made redundant, I don’t think it’s a good thing to encourage people to do this. Fair enough for a couple of items, but I’ve no doubt that some customers will be buying everything on EZ and then getting into difficulty later on.
We are also encouraged to buy more than one (with a theatrical hand flourish) because of easy pay. ‘You can get it (🤑a sixty quid item) home for just FIFTEEN POUNDS! Why not buy two! Stock up your present drawer! buy a couple for teachers/dustmen/friends! hurry before it goes limited!’ No wonder people get into debt
I agree with both of you that that they shouldn’t encourage easypay to such an extent. However people do have to take responsibility for their own actions and only buy what they can afford.

I sometimes use EZP but when I do they are my only debts and then I could have chosen to pay in full upfront.I once applied for a store charge card and was denied until they did additional checks.I was mortified but then I probably ‘didn’t exist‘ in credit terms?That’s my understanding anyway!A reality check for anyone ordering a lot from Q is to add up what has been spent in P&P! The cost of just trying that face cream might be around the £10+ mark.
I think if you don’t need easypay it’s not a problem but if you really need it then maybe you shouldn’t use it.
Martin Lewis likened your store card situation to someone in the pub asking to borrow a tenner. If it was Fred and he did it quite often but always paid you back then you would probably say yes. If it was someone you didn’t know and you had never loaned money to you would probably say no as you would be unsure whether they would repay it.

Donna, I just read that post on the Q visitor posts. What is going on? The presenters CLEARLY say you can use something, really test it out, under the MBG and now the official letter refers to a sample! Now I wouldn’t want to take the p*ss and use something for 30/60 days then return it when I found it perfectly OK, but the presenters make no qualification in their description of what you can do. Burn your set of candles, really trial that moisturiser etc. We have all become aware over the years that there is a gap between what they say on air and what Q actually mean, but I think this is the first time they have actually said in writing that what they really mean is a sample. Well, we all know how piddling beauty samples can be! So I would take it to mean a moisturiser can be used once, perhaps twice. Yes, you can really see results by then, lol

As someone said in reply you need to use for 30 days as the skin takes that long to know if a product is working. I know some brands Charlotte Tilbury give samples of foundation with an order to try to make sure you have the right shade, then if not return the full size and they will send the correct shade. You get one use of them.

I no longer have a credit history & with the mortgage long gone & being retired won't need one. I think there will be many people getting a nasty reality check over the next few months & having several EZPs going out from a shrinking bank account or a rising credit card debt will take the shine off those QVC purchases that looked so good when the tat peddlers were 'earning' their commission.

The only time I use EP is if it an expensive item (usually electronic) I want to try but have doubts if it will actually do the job and it reduces the amount I have to fork out and get refunded. This happens about once every couple of years and it’s usually Mr L looking at a security camera or similar.

otherwise I rarely buy at all and then only things I know there is a 99.99% of me keeping.

As I said earlier in this thread(I think it was this one?) when I first joined QVC I had a debit card they would not take so had to send a cheque and used to think that is not fair I can't get easy pay. Then when I moved to a Visa Debit I could but never really took easy pay, I remember getting an Elemis Xmas one years back and it was £9 or under for 4 months which was February the following year! By December I just wanted the ****** thing over with. Tell the truth I did not trust QVC if I phoned up and paid the rest off not to continue taking the easy payment amount. Two easy payments I can perhaps handle but it would be once in a blue month I use EZ now

Someone flashing a pic of themselves at the Ritz hotel and admitting they`re dressed top to toe from QVC. It`s a cold shoulder Nina Leonard get up with moda in pelle shoes and one of those awful bright red lips clutch bags which remind me of those balloons you buy for hen parties or valentine days.

Not once but twice! I was expecting someone older (don’t ask why!)

TBH that’s probably the best Q fashion can look in real life, and she seems to be enjoying her day.

An Irish lady was ranting about Butler and Wilson pins which had different countries. They did the Republic of Ireland with a crown above, she was saying the Republic should not have the British crown and why did they not do Northern Ireland which was the Red Hand Of Ulster? Someone answered saying it was the B&W crown which they used and not the British crown. All very political

An Irish lady was ranting about Butler and Wilson pins which had different countries. They did the Republic of Ireland with a crown above, she was saying the Republic should not have the British crown and why did they not do Northern Ireland which was the Red Hand Of Ulster? Someone answered saying it was the B&W crown which they used and not the British crown. All very political
I saw that Donna and thought “get a life” have we not all been through enough over here and things like covid don’t respect borders or religion.

' Aww poor Kathy getting emotional xx Loving the foodie shows, spent and not regretting anything this year! '
I can't be fussed looking for this, did anyone see poor Kathy, who I've always thought had a swinging brick, & can tell us why she got emotional?

' Aww poor Kathy getting emotional xx Loving the foodie shows, spent and not regretting anything this year! '
I can't be fussed looking for this, did anyone see poor Kathy, who I've always thought had a swinging brick, & can tell us why she got emotional?

Had QVC on in the background and Jackie said that Kathy got a bit emotional when tasting an apple pie because it reminded her of her mum whom she lost fairly recently.

Had QVC on in the background and Jackie said that Kathy got a bit emotional when tasting an apple pie because it reminded her of her mum whom she lost fairly recently.
Thank you Toril. I'm in a hard-nosed mood & if I compared a mass produced product to something my mum had made, she was an outstanding cook, she'd haunt me!

My mum was a fairly plain cook but her apple tart and steak and kidney pie were to die for and I’m not a great pie person, she never weighed anything yet they were always perfect.
I've always thought some people have a magic touch when it comes to making pastry. I enjoy baking & one of my best buys from the Q was my Kitchenaid but even using this with mum's pastry recipes, so keeping the fat cool & the mixing time short, I don't come anywhere near her standard.

I didn't see this but found the item & hers is the only review, even though she didn't say if she's bought one so yet another comment pretending to be a review. Looking at the pins old Simon doesn't appear to have thought through the top bit, especially as Wales had a dragon with the others having crowns.

I've always thought some people have a magic touch when it comes to making pastry. I enjoy baking & one of my best buys from the Q was my Kitchenaid but even using this with mum's pastry recipes, so keeping the fat cool & the mixing time short, I don't come anywhere near her standard.
Can’t say magic touch but I was always better at pastry ( cold hands) my Mum made the sponge cakes.I remember my Bacon & Egg Pie with rough puff pastry and us making butterfly buns ( loved the glacé cherries). Everything was home made we didn’t need to diet, how come?

My Mum baked once a week and she`d spend hours making fairy cakes, jam tarts, pies, shortbread plus she made her own sponge puddings and spotted dick and also bread pudding. She never used scales but measured by hand and she never used an electric mixer or a hand whisk, only a wooden spoon.
Her custard was to die for and every year she made her own Christmas cake, Christmas pudding and enough mince pies to feed a small army. I dislike dried fruit so I never liked any of those but she`d send me to elderly neighbours houses with tins or tupperware boxes filled to the brim.
We had an elderly neighbour who we kids called Aunty Mary and she lived with her handicapped sister called May and before Christmas my Mum would tell our coalman to drop off a sack of coal for the sisters and she`d put together a hamper of home made bakes plus chocolates and a bottle of sherry and send one of us round with strict instructions not to drop anything ...... or else !
There was another elderly neighbour who lived alone and mum always invited her for Christmas dinner but she`d never come and so one of us had to dash around there on Christmas day with a plated dinner for her. Her husband had died and she was childless but she`d never come and join us for the day and preferred to stay at home listening to her radio. She lived very frugally, her house was always freezing and badly needed decorating, she`d go to bed by 7pm and she wore the same clothes long after they were patched or repaired.
The only relative she had was a sister who lived at the other end of the country and when she died in her 80`s she left many thousands of pounds plus her house to the sister she hadn`t seen for years. Back then it was common for wills to be published in the local papers and it gobsmacked everybody in the area to see how she`d lived like a pauper but had been sitting on such a lot of money.
My Mum literally shook her head and said what a waste as Nelly could have ended her days warm, comfortable and well fed but chose not to and whenever my dad had a moan about Mum piling on the coal on the fire or cooking up a huge meal or buying a new Winter coat for one of us instead of handing one down from an older sibling she`d cut him short and say " My name`s Grace not Nelly and I`ll be buggered if somebody`s spending it after I`ve gone !" and she meant it.

Latest posts

Back