Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have absolutely no idea why he suddenly appeared in my thoughts, but he did - just as I was being enthralled by the My Pension Expert hour with the expert with the intent and rigid stare and slightly delayed (he’s going to dry up..) delivery. ‘He‘ being Steve Whatley - Mr Zhuzh himself. Checking Pikiwedia, I then realised it is 15 years next month since he died. 15 years!!

Whatever he was like in real life as a person (good or bad), he was probably shopping TV’s most memorable character I have seen in my 20 years plus of watching it. And I am sure - he was very much playing a created persona on QVC and later on Ideal World etc. I couldn’t stand that presenting style, but for some reason, he entertained me at the same time. In fairness, I could also see how much effort he put in to the shows he fronted. Never a lazy host for me. Plenty on IW now I cannot abide, but unlike Whatters, they don’t entertain, and many do just the bare minimum to get by.

Only in his mid-40s when he died, there is a sadness when I think of him now. In the early internet days of shopping telly posting, I mercilessly took the rise out of him. I suspect he probably read what I wrote, and I regret that now. Do you have memories of him?
I remember Steve fondly but it was almost a year before I found out he'd died. I wasn't as big a watcher of shopping channels back then but I'd seen him here and there on them, and of course when he'd pop up on This Morning. I thought he was hilarious on that.
Today's IW presenters are awful and insincere, especially when compared to Steve but also even the old pro's like Paul Lavers and for all the stick she gets, Debbie Flint. I prefer QVC for the presenters, but I watch more IW for entertainment purposes lol

I remember Steve fondly but it was almost a year before I found out he'd died. I wasn't as big a watcher of shopping channels back then but I'd seen him here and there on them, and of course when he'd pop up on This Morning. I thought he was hilarious on that.
Today's IW presenters are awful and insincere, especially when compared to Steve but also even the old pro's like Paul Lavers and for all the stick she gets, Debbie Flint. I prefer QVC for the presenters, but I watch more IW for entertainment purposes lol

Watched QVC a few times way back, haven't watched for years, at the times when the presenters you mention were on it, bought a few items for family, stuff like Hummel etc, oh and bought a Kahuna watch off them, cheap but one of the best watches for work, taken some knocks over the years but still works. :)
Then stopped watch shopping channels until recently, stumbled on a watch show with IW. At first my viewing was for a genuine interest, but as time has gone on it's purely for entertainment value when i need cheering up. :ROFLMAO:
But i would agree, the difference in the presenters and presentation between the QVC of old and IW is night and day, i really don't know how IW get away with half the rubbish the spout, why the likes of ASA don't take some serious action against them is beyond me.

Well tonight should be interesting, Electicianz watches, new one on me, but been going for a few years. Let's see what guff they come out with as they're Swiss designed, but manufactured entirely in Asia:unsure:
Not my cup of tea as they're a bit too gaudy & quartz:rolleyes:

But i would agree, the difference in the presenters and presentation between the QVC of old and IW is night and day, i really don't know how IW get away with half the rubbish the spout, why the likes of ASA don't take some serious action against them is beyond me.
I think it's because on QVC it feels like the presenters try to inform you about the product, giving you all the positives about it and how to use it with some useful tips. On IW they're shouting at you and inferring that if you don't buy the product then you must be an idiot. Yes QVC aren't perfect but they're not doing stupid "WHOOP WHOOP" sounds or yelling at you "JUST BUY IT!!!" while shouting that you must buy one each for half the street as well to take advantage of the easy payments.

I was a big Whatters fan, he wouldnt like the way the channel is run these days.

Used to love his Crazzee Christmas Saturday Night shows, and his book, which he kepted so he could so he could send of Christmas Cards.

I remember finding out watching a Amolite show, and the Guest Ken and Ellis if I remember mentioned it.

I remember him fighting for a 90 day Money Back Guarantee.

Mr Diamonique from his QVC Days, he used to call himself that, He must have been the first host I remember doing fashion being a male, he used to the 5pm Friday slot on QVC, which I believe has only had 2 regular hosts, him and Queen Juila

Well tonight should be interesting, Electicianz watches, new one on me, but been going for a few years. Let's see what guff they come out with as they're Swiss designed, but manufactured entirely in Asia:unsure:

From what i read, info is very scant the quartz movement is based on the miyota 2033, wires etc showing on the watch are just for display/show, have nothing to do with the working of the watch. Seem to be fun colourful gimmicky watches for kids and big kids. ;):ROFLMAO: But if they are sold as being collectable then they really will be taking the piss.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow and Miss High Precision and the Breed watches, just 3 listed so far and all three according to Breeds web site have alloy cases, can't wait to how she describes them as being made of top quality material and compare favourably with top Swiss brands. :D

I used to watch QVC back in the day, bought a few bits and bob's and like Hammy, had a Kahuna watch. I preferred the DIY slot on Sunday mornings with Harry "safety first, diy second" Green. Sarah Green's dad iirc?
He used to make loads of mistakes and it was funny watching him try to cover up:ROFLMAO:

As I always say, taste's subjective, so if you like these fine. However for me they fall into the 'gimmicky' category. I don't fancy a watch where the time part of the face is tiny.

I think it's because on QVC it feels like the presenters try to inform you about the product, giving you all the positives about it and how to use it with some useful tips. On IW they're shouting at you and inferring that if you don't buy the product then you must be an idiot. Yes QVC aren't perfect but they're not doing stupid "WHOOP WHOOP" sounds or yelling at you "JUST BUY IT!!!" while shouting that you must buy one each for half the street as well to take advantage of the easy payments.
Regardless of the actual quality of the products that land on your doorstep, QVC is like Sainsbury's in its approach to selling, IW more like Poundland. They both know their target markets though, so most of it's probably intentional from an IW perspective. I've said before, for me much of it doesn't align. They do nice glossy QVC-esque pieces between shows (not the pieces featuring the presenters may I add) nice and chilled, professional even. Then you get hit with Peter S, Mike M, Paul B doing their barrow-boy routines :(

Only remember Whatters from the Star Trek hours on a Sunday night.

Always pressing the buttons on those that had them. Drove me, mam and dad nuts, but looking back now, he just seemed like a kid in a sweet shop and infinitely better than those we have now.

Well the first Electricianz watch, the Cable one, should cause a bit of interest if you went through airport security with all those cables on show:oops:
It's very nice to illuminate the face with leds, but not the hands?? How do you tell the time at night?

For anyone wanting a gimmick watch, HS Johnsons the jewelers has these watches with a 10% discount which takes them just under IW prices. :)

Oh and just for info as they won't tell you the price, inside these horological wonders, there is the top grade, high precision, £4 (probably cheaper in bulk) Miyota quartz movement.

Well the first Electricianz watch, the Cable one, should cause a bit of interest if you went through airport security with all those cables on show:oops:
It's very nice to illuminate the face with leds, but not the hands?? How do you tell the time at night?

As they don't do anything and only for show, you could remove them before going to the airport and put them back after. :)

Yes I'm watching these watches with exactly the same questions going through my head, namely potential trouble with airport security and a very bright dial light but no hands illumination, etc., and it's basically the same cheap quartz movement in all of them. The yellow plastic ones in particular look like kids' toys even if they're presumably modelled on voltmeters, and it would have been more impressive if there was a date display that looked like a unit counter in an old electric meter but there again this type of watch must have its fans.

Don't know if it was mentioned, might have missed it, but i don't think they actually clarified that the 3v lithium batteries showing on the dial are only for the cosmetic functions of the watch, ie LEDs, they don't power the movement, the movement itself is still powered by a standard 1.55v SR626SW watch battery.

Latest posts

Back