Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I just flicked over to the repeat showing of their Cozee Home rip off bedding, teddy fleece. Looked disgusting and didn't hang right on the bed so you can imagine what it looks like when you get it home.
But then they quickly showed a weighted blanket and Shona said "Now there's lots we can't tell you about this but do your research". Yes Shona, there's lots you can't say because it's made up bollocks. Just like there's lots you're not allowed to say about your inversion tables or vibrapower plates. If there's lots that you cannot say then those claims have not been scientifically proven. Example, if you were selling paracetamol you could say these cute headaches and flu symptoms because that's been proven. You're selling quack products and hinting that they would cure this or that when they do nothing of the sort.
"Do your own research" Unfortunately when you tell someone to do their own research the vast majority just Google it and believe the first website they come across. Now if I was to search online for benefits of inversion tables /vibratingplates/weighted blankets etc, the first 10 or 20 websites I hit would be either companies selling those products themselves so giving it the hard sell, or scam websites wanting your details.

It is strange that you don't hear much of the watch club these days, was heralded as a big deal when they launched it, you hear nothing about it these days. Most of the VTs they show of Loyden etc are the same old ones, doesn't seem to be any made recently. To me, Igor always looked bored & disinterested when he was on IW.
Yeah, it's sad that a lot seem to have been swayed into believing they are building a collection of highly desirable watches, every one an investment and future heirloom. I know not everyone can afford to spend much on collecting watches, but for around the same money or just a bit more, as they are spending on IW for the likes of Swan & Edgar, Reign, Shield, Heritor etc, they could actually put together a rather nice collection of affordable watches from the likes of Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio, Wenger, Tissot, Rotary, Bulova etc.
Loyden's collection must have cost a fair few thousand to assemble in the last few years, i would imagine the cost to insure them would have dropped substantially as they're value has plummeted. But i suppose at the end of the day if he is happy then that's all that counts to him. One thing that does annoy me though is his revues, they are more like sales pitches than actual revues, full of Peter Simon?Reynolds snippets like, "you can't go wrong, just buy it", "Buy this watch as it will be a collector item never to be repeated", "You have your money back guarantee So just buy it!!!", "just buy it you know it makes sense" and my fav "Kevin Reynolds is the go to guy".
I'm not one to defend IW as you know, however maybe the watch club gatherings have been postponed due to covid? It's a possibility. Out of pure curiosity more than anything else, I would be very interested to know how many buyers of these watches would still be so eager to buy if they were shown where the watches are manufactured, what they're manufactured of and the true story behind the brand names. As you say, if folk are buying them eyes wide open then fine. However I suspect many are falling for the sales guff which is a shame.

I mentioned before that I fell for it many years ago, sales guff that is. Arranging double glazing for my mum's house. Salesman said 'our installers will be at your house for around 5 days, carefully uninstalling the old windows and installing the new.' Also 'your door install will be so unique I'll be arranging for a pic to be taken so it can be featured in our trade magazine.' Ok truth be told those statements didn't overly influence me or my mum, we went on quality of the product which was at the time head and shoulders above others, although we paid a pretty price for it.

Oh btw, the installers were in and out in approx. 2 days and did we ever see a photographer? What do you think ;)

I just flicked over to the repeat showing of their Cozee Home rip off bedding, teddy fleece. Looked disgusting and didn't hang right on the bed so you can imagine what it looks like when you get it home.
But then they quickly showed a weighted blanket and Shona said "Now there's lots we can't tell you about this but do your research". Yes Shona, there's lots you can't say because it's made up bollocks. Just like there's lots you're not allowed to say about your inversion tables or vibrapower plates. If there's lots that you cannot say then those claims have not been scientifically proven. Example, if you were selling paracetamol you could say these cute headaches and flu symptoms because that's been proven. You're selling quack products and hinting that they would cure this or that when they do nothing of the sort.
"Do your own research" Unfortunately when you tell someone to do their own research the vast majority just Google it and believe the first website they come across. Now if I was to search online for benefits of inversion tables /vibratingplates/weighted blankets etc, the first 10 or 20 websites I hit would be either companies selling those products themselves so giving it the hard sell, or scam websites wanting your details.
Very good point. Notice how they use words like 'should' 'could' 'might' etc, all non confirmatory. Ensures they can wriggle out of any complaints, lawsuits etc and as you say, much of what they spout hasn't been scientifically proven, so they can't use words like 'will' ... except when selling wills that is :)

I'm not one to defend IW as you know, however maybe the watch club gatherings have been postponed due to covid? It's a possibility. Out of pure curiosity more than anything else, I would be very interested to know how many buyers of these watches would still be so eager to buy if they were shown where the watches are manufactured, what they're manufactured of and the true story behind the brand names. As you say, if folk are buying them eyes wide open then fine. However I suspect many are falling for the sales guff which is a shame.

I mentioned before that I fell for it many years ago, sales guff that is. Arranging double glazing for my mum's house. Salesman said 'our installers will be at your house for around 5 days, carefully uninstalling the old windows and installing the new.' Also 'your door install will be so unique I'll be arranging for a pic to be taken so it can be featured in our trade magazine.' Ok truth be told those statements didn't overly influence me or my mum, we went on quality of the product which was at the time head and shoulders above others, although we paid a pretty price for it.

Oh btw, the installers were in and out in approx. 2 days and did we ever see a photographer? What do you think ;)

Yeah, that's a very good point, plus Reynolds was off ill for a long spell last year, so that plus the Covid restrictions have more than likely had an affect on the group meetings etc.

I also think, that adding to the confusion for less knowledgeable buyers who have started collecting on IW, is that you have three quite different types of watch brands mixed together and described as collectable timepieces by IW and their presenters/guests. Decent watchmaking brands, average fashion brands and then the con artists brands, all are given the same sales patter, all are hailed as luxury collectable timepieces, with great history, heritage and inspirational story behind the brand and watches, etc etc, all should be insured and a guaranteed future heirloom etc, but in reality only a few watches for the first group have any chance of meeting those claims. I'm pretty sure if folks actually new the true story behind some of these con artist brands they would be less likely to be buying them, they would be just as well going down the high street and buying Accurist, Sekonda, Pulsar, Daniel Wellington, MVMT, etc and build a watch collection from them, as they have about the same collectible worth as the con artist brands.

On mike's Almaz.

Kev - "Last few pieces in world"
Mike - "we only have whatever is left in the world of this watch, i'm not talking of over egging the pudding" "only a handful left, last in the world"

Yeah, i believe you, definitely the last stock in the world.

Ok bored now, that's enough, what a way to start a show, with a big fat lie.

Watch shows the only ones I can stomach tbh

yes lots of lies rubbish told but sadly that is the norm on most channels (even QVC slip into it sometimes)

Types like Mason and Simon seem very unlikeable to me but the longevity in a tough sales environment and the amount of prime time hours they get tell you one thing they sell

Mike - Ladies get one for your fella, he'll think you've spent thousands.

Kev - "Mike we never get these back, once they've left the building they're gone"

Oh really, i must be imagining this returned Vostok for sale on IW ebay site.

PS

Where's emotions gone to?

Watch shows the only ones I can stomach tbh

yes lots of lies rubbish told but sadly that is the norm on most channels (even QVC slip into it sometimes)

Types like Mason and Simon seem very unlikeable to me but the longevity in a tough sales environment and the amount of prime time hours they get tell you one thing they sell

But that very fact also says a lot about folks buying watches from IW.

I find Rob Locke by far the worst on any possible level

Watch some of the collectable shows the ego knows no bounds his complete disdain for the viewers his constant one-upmanship. Him saying it doesn't matter if idiots put stuff in baskets (its 3 am Rob some viewers might be a bit not with it) because the system ignores them. Two minutes later completely going against that and pseudo threatening viewers if they don't check out.

I actually quite enjoy watching Gary Ashburn I hope he isn't being paid by the word.

Why does Kevin think the Mathey Tissot Rolly is the only Rolex lookalike in the world?

Can get thousands of versions lots cheaper than the Tissot some more, I personally think the Rolly is a decent looker but lets not pretend nobody else can do it
I have 4 Steinharts, all better value for money IMO than MT, and with ETA movements

Why does Kevin think the Mathey Tissot Rolly is the only Rolex lookalike in the world?

Can get thousands of versions lots cheaper than the Tissot some more, I personally think the Rolly is a decent looker but lets not pretend nobody else can do it

I've a couple of the Automatic Rollys, very good watches, but as you say, there is a huge selection of similar watches, both cheaper and dearer out there.

It is always on air whenever I catch the shows

Quite a few shows where he said it was going to sell out and he wouldn't get it, it was still available to buy the next day. Yet in the next Vostok show he would repeat the same story of it sold out before he could get it, just a big lie.
He's supposed to be friends with Kevin Reynolds, so if he was really desperate for the watch then Reynolds would have gotten him one, after all IW don't stock the VE watches, it's Kevin's company that holds the stock and distributes them, so he could easily have kept one aside for Mason.

Quite a few shows where he said it was going to sell out and he wouldn't get it, it was still available to buy the next day. Yet in the next Vostok show he would repeat the same story of it sold out before he could get it, just a big lie.
He's supposed to be friends with Kevin Reynolds, so if he was really desperate for the watch then Reynolds would have gotten him one, after all IW don't stock the VE watches, it's Kevin's company that holds the stock and distributes them, so he could easily have kept one aside for Mason.
If you ever have the inclination..... I record the collectable shows as stated above Locke (with an e remember) will tell you this won't be available tomorrow apart from the odd one-off which does sell 85% will still be on the website the whole of the next week

Latest posts

Back