Ann Dawson is back

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I don't mind Ann, prefer her to DF and JF who are far too full of themselves.

Someone please tell Alison Young to stop saying 'as well' in almost every sentence. This is more than a stock phrase, it's a recently acquired annoying habit.
Wish Debbie Flint would stop saying um all the time.

These are called filler words & when we use them too often they become crutches or disfluencies. As soon as I read these posts I knew that I'd got a lesson plan about how to avoid them for students preparing for their English speaking modules. To stop using them they should take a small pause so that their audience can digest what's been said, however, the Q is all sell, sell, sell & pauses are probably banned in case it looks as though the presenter has had a lapse of memory.

Katie Pullinger also says “um“ all the time.

The one extra and unnecessary “fill in” word that fortunately I haven’t heard a presenter on QVC say - yet, is “like.” There were some teenagers being interviewed on Five Live and the word ”like” was all I could hear because the rest of their words were dominated by it.

For example, one of the responses to online learning was something along the lines of .....”Well, it’s like not as good as being taught face to face like. Like I also don’t get to see my friends like.”

Maybe it’s a generational thing ...... like. 😉

Katie Pullinger also says “um“ all the time.

The one extra and unnecessary “fill in” word that fortunately I haven’t heard a presenter on QVC say - yet, is “like.” There were some teenagers being interviewed on Five Live and the word ”like” was all I could hear because the rest of their words were dominated by it.

For example, one of the responses to online learning was something along the lines of .....”Well, it’s like not as good as being taught face to face like. Like I also don’t get to see my friends like.”

Maybe it’s a generational thing ...... lik

I’ve noticed of late that a lot of the younger generation start every sentence with ‘so......’.
That is one of my bugbears! And it's not only the younger generation. There's a doctor who regularly appeared on This Morning and EVERY single answer she gave started with 'So.' I can't think of her name but she was on just a couple of months ago - not Zoe or Sara - and although she wasn't old she wasn't in the first flush of youth either.

Listen to any news reader, and their favourite word........ "indeed". Its always after hearing another journalist / commentator give their report, and they say "Thanks very much.... indeed". What does that word mean anyway ? I think they add it on whilst listening to their Gallery producer.

Listen to any news reader, and their favourite word........ "indeed". Its always after hearing another journalist / commentator give their report, and they say "Thanks very much.... indeed". What does that word mean anyway ? I think they add it on whilst listening to their Gallery producer.
They think it makes them sound equally knowledgeable by confirming what the other person has said. Idiots.

Anne, like me is Scottish, we often use phrases like that. Why do people make comments about not liking it. I can tell you English people have some very weird phrases they use, but this is the first time I have passed comment! Half my family on my father’s side are in rural Kent! Half the people I worked with were English, yet I never passed comments on words they used!

Anne, like me is Scottish, we often use phrases like that. Why do people make comments about not liking it. I can tell you English people have some very weird phrases they use, but this is the first time I have passed comment! Half my family on my father’s side are in rural Kent! Half the people I worked with were English, yet I never passed comments on words they used!
I think when you see what are essentially live infomercials, which are very repetitive, speech habits are really highlighted. I don't think it is particularly because she is Scottish.
I like Anne, and prefer her to most of the others. To me it's just picking up any presenter's stock phrases and filler words.

Latest posts

Back