Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I shall have it too. I don’t remember anyone having a choice about the polio and diphtheria jabs we got in my childhood. We were just lined up and filed in... I don’t even know if parents were told it was happening. You just knew that your children had these jabs at various ages. And wasn’t it illegal to refuse the BCG thing? I may well be imagining that!

I cannot wait to get the shingles jab!!!!! I was so fed up when I got shingles in January.
Funnily enough, I was only talking about this to my husband yesterday. We had all the jabs at school, no warning, just lined up without ceremony or fuss - job done! ( I’m talking about the 50’s and 60’s) I don’t recall my parents being informed, and if they were, didn’t have any choice in the matter, but polio was rife in the 50’s, so I suppose our parents would have been only too glad for the vaccination

I‘ve lost count of the number of jabs that I had as a child. Dad was a consultant physician and the S.E. head consultant for infectious diseases. Whenever there was an outbreak of a disease, mum and I got inoculated and dad got called to the hospital where the patients were. From memory, it was in Dartford.

Sadly, smallpox was one of those diseases, although thankfully it’s now been irradiated, and over the years I had smallpox inoculations. They weren’t injections though. A drop of the vaccine was put on the upper arm and then the arm was scratched so that the vaccine entered the skin. Dad also worked alongside the W.H.O. and dealt with polio, diphtheria, and smallpox cases, as well as other unusual tropical diseases so injections were part of my childhood.

I just wonder what he’d make of this current pandemic but, if he was still alive, he’d have been “at the coal face“ so to speak.

I suspect that at some point in the near future we`ll all be expected to produce a vaccination certificate alongside our passport before being allowed to travel/sail/fly to outside of the UK.
The problem could be that fake certificates could be available on the internet for people who don't or won't have the vaccine. We are hoping we can have it as soon as possible.

Volunteer recruitment is usually a key delaying factor in trials. I was recruited onto a clinical trial in April 2009. When I finished the trial, had my operation and my follow up treatment, it was October. Not a single person had signed up for the trial in that six month period! Not only do you need to fit the eligibility criteria, you have to consent. So actually, when you need a decent quantity of test subjects in the trial due to the stage it has reached, that's why you wait years, probably more than for funding reasons.

I must say that all the vaccine good news has totally lifted my spirits. That is more important to me than Christmas... and I still have no idea if I will spend it at home or at friends.

Our lockdown starts tonight. My credit union are staying open last time it was all done over the phone, unlike the banks which did stay open. I got my Canadian Xmas cards posted yesterday in the hope they actually arrive.

I have a hair appointment for the 16th Dec when the hairdressers are supposed to open that week. If not the hair clippers will be coming out.

I‘ve lost count of the number of jabs that I had as a child. Dad was a consultant physician and the S.E. head consultant for infectious diseases. Whenever there was an outbreak of a disease, mum and I got inoculated and dad got called to the hospital where the patients were. From memory, it was in Dartford.

Sadly, smallpox was one of those diseases, although thankfully it’s now been irradiated, and over the years I had smallpox inoculations. They weren’t injections though. A drop of the vaccine was put on the upper arm and then the arm was scratched so that the vaccine entered the skin. Dad also worked alongside the W.H.O. and dealt with polio, diphtheria, and smallpox cases, as well as other unusual tropical diseases so injections were part of my childhood.

I just wonder what he’d make of this current pandemic but, if he was still alive, he’d have been “at the coal face“ so to speak.
Yes I remember having all those vaccinations and as I said earlier the Smallpox Primary one as an adult to get a Visa to visit the USA.Polio was a real scare in the 50’s, I was on holiday with my parents one year in Scarborough and became ill, they were really concerned it was Polio.It wasn’t but remember going to the Drs for the vaccinations.Also the TB ones at age13.I had a friend who lost a kidney with TB and knew someone who had to spend time in a Sanitarium.So I will be adding COVID to the list as soon as possible.

I'm with you LATI. I won't be first in the queue and I want to see if there are actually any side effects. I'm also a wee bit sceptical about the speed this vaccine is being rolled out. However, that's just me. My mum took thalidomide in the 60's as it was hailed as a big breakthrough. It made her worse so she stopped taking it and thankfully none of her children were affected.

CC

I remember having the smallpox vaccination too. My mum took me to the surgery as there was a scare about it at the time.

Our two doctors here weren’t very keen on having the covid jab, in fact I think lots of medics feel the same. But I think I shall go when I get the call.

I completely understand the reservations. But just as the lockdown "cure" being almost as devastating as the disease doesn't prevent most of us complying...we are aware of the bigger prize at stake... what is the alternative? Months or years of social separation and lockdowns until we are satisfied it's safe?
Nothing in life is risk free. I think the vaccine is a risk worth taking, personally. We all have to weigh it up for ourselves and hope enough of us take the plunge to allow life to become recognisable normal soon.

We`ve just found out we`re back in tier 3 again. Luckily my hairdresser can reopen because otherwise I`d resemble Ken Dodd by Christmas.
Yep same here Tier 3 . Not sure why as rates gave dropped dramatically.

I remember having the smallpox vaccination too. My mum took me to the surgery as there was a scare about it at the time.

Our two doctors here weren’t very keen on having the covid jab, in fact I think lots of medics feel the same. But I think I shall go when I get the call.
TB jab at school. We all had it unless the test (shick test was it) turned red.

Dear god I despair. On tipping point - what rank in royal peerage is above Earl and below Duke? Answer corporal! Same youth when asked a question with 3 options discarded Japan because “it isn’t an island, it’s inland”

ILATI thalidomide was banned in Germany in1957 or 1958 but the UK still prescribed it until the early 60s as they paid no attention papers being written on the side effects. And it is still around I worked with a woman who suffered awful migraines and was given thalidomide she just had to sign an agreement not to get pregnant this was in the early 90s.

So that problem was countries not sharing info, with something like vaccines it will happen pretty quickly because of the internet.

There are still people who refuse to get the flu jab but suddenly this year they were rushing to get it.

Latest posts

Back