Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm not sure I was actually watching a watch show last night. I appeared to be watching a show about the presenter's duchess er.. marchioness, or was it his goddess? And how wonderful his relationship was, the vital importance of trust (a concept always followed on Ideal World,) and how he had just had the bottom of a passing singer (P.J.Proby?) flashed at him out of camera, which tended to water down what he had previously said.

Back to the actual watches..It was yet another brand I've never heard of, and with a recommended retail price that didn't match what I was looking at. When I looked at the make online it said they were made by an American company in China by a company that produces multiple watch brands.

During the extravaganza of tick-tock relationships love-in, I was surprised not to hear the good old 'we're down single figures' routine (when they only had single figures to begin with, possibly?) this time around. But that one, in particular, would appear on any worth its salt, Ideal World's 20 Golden Greats LP compilation on Ronco, available from all good Timothy Whites. What I did definitely hear said was that the female horology expert was unable to explain to us how a tachymeter on a watch worked. Instead, recommending us to have a look at YouTube. To be fair, I'm not sure either, as it's just a dial I twiddle with furiously when I am at a loose end watching Government lockdown adverts telling me why I should wear a face mask. But I'm not on a programme appearing as a watch expert!!

Mike - " I'm mean honestly £450 is the RRP on these ones."

Liar, the RRPs have no bearing as to the true value or quality of the watches, Resultco President has already admitted that their RRPs have been vastly inflated on purpose so retailers can give big discounts, as customers love discounts.
Agreed. Ties in with the tv prog I watched a few years back re furniture retail. Was very interesting believe it or not. It was mentioned on the prog how, in many maybe even most cases, the starting price for furniture has no bearing on reality as customers are always looking for a bargain. So if you see a sofa reduced from £2000 to £800, in reality it's an £800 sofa all day long. Yes, to satisfy consumer law, they'll sell the sofa at the higher price every now and again, but its not a £2000 sofa.

It's the same with this Black Friday guff. It's been proven time and time again retailers use it to get rid of lines they've struggled to sell i.e. the unpopular stuff. However because it's Black Friday people seem to lose all sense of reality. Not saying there aren't good deals/bargains, however it's not as great as it may seem on the surface.

You'll find a bigger selection at Aliexpress, which is understandable as it's a movement that was born in China.

Her name is Miss H. Precision, aka Emma Boydell.
I know we've said it numerous times, it's the fact the numbers don't align that would bug me. Maybe a nice watch to buy for a child (gimmicky) however that's about it. If the drums turned and aligned with precision then it might be a more tempting proposition, although not for me, maybe when I was 10.

The IW crowd can't have much of a life, Mike M and Emma were saying whenever they have this watch in the building, it mesmerizes people :)

That's quite funny, Morphic followed by Will and Estate planning service. That's one thing you won't have to worry about in your will, is who to pass your Morphic heirlooms on to, cause they'll be dead long before you are. :eek::ROFLMAO:
Mary, you've been left your father's 3 houses and £500,000.
Tom, you've been left your fathers holiday home in Spain and the investment portfolio.
Lucy, you've been left your father's vintage car collection and £100,000.
Bob, you've been left your father's extensive Swan & Edgar, Morphic and Heritor watch collection.

I know this is the IW forum, however I'm sharing this here as other sections get little traffic.

You have to love Gems TV. We're going to talk at you for 2 hours before actually selling you something. We're going to bore, oops I mean educate you about the mines were the raw material comes from. We won't mention the fact the ones doing the digging are probably earning pennies a day. We'll bombard you with science, videos from world experts. We'll tell you how the mine owner is annoyed because he sold us a parcel of stuff last year that he could now be selling us for 5 times as much. We'll set a sense of panic by telling you how certain mines are now closed and will never re-open, thus meaning anything sold from said mines will be worth more and more and more. We'll mention jewelry with the same gems that sells for many thousands of pounds and is worn by A listers and Royalty.

Then, eventually, we'll put a ring up for sale at £39.99 :) :) :)

I know this is the IW forum, however I'm sharing this here as other sections get little traffic.

You have to love Gems TV. We're going to talk at you for 2 hours before actually selling you something. We're going to bore, oops I mean educate you about the mines were the raw material comes from. We won't mention the fact the ones doing the digging are probably earning pennies a day. We'll bombard you with science, videos from world experts. We'll tell you how the mine owner is annoyed because he sold us a parcel of stuff last year that he could now be selling us for 5 times as much. We'll set a sense of panic by telling you how certain mines are now closed and will never re-open, thus meaning anything sold from said mines will be worth more and more and more. We'll mention jewelry with the same gems that sells for many thousands of pounds and is worn by A listers and Royalty.

Then, eventually, we'll put a ring up for sale at £39.99 :) :) :)
When I see Dave Troth, I know it's going to be an education, his version anyway. I also know he's going to say the silver stuff on offer 'should've been set in platinum/gold'

I know we've said it numerous times, it's the fact the numbers don't align that would bug me. Maybe a nice watch to buy for a child (gimmicky) however that's about it. If the drums turned and aligned with precision then it might be a more tempting proposition, although not for me, maybe when I was 10.

The IW crowd can't have much of a life, Mike M and Emma were saying whenever they have this watch in the building, it mesmerizes people :)

I'm thinking that must the same for everyone that bumps into IW experts and presenters, everybody seems to comment on their watches, even when holidaying in far flung countries. Apart from the few folks that know I collect watches, nobody, least of all strangers, make comments on the watch i'm wearing, never had any stranger come up to me and say, hey that a nice watch, very sexy, what is it, where did you get it.

Mary, you've been left your father's 3 houses and £500,000.
Tom, you've been left your fathers holiday home in Spain and the investment portfolio.
Lucy, you've been left your father's vintage car collection and £100,000.
Bob, you've been left your father's extensive Swan & Edgar, Morphic and Heritor watch collection.

Or the father just didn't get on with/like Bob. ;):ROFLMAO:

BTW another brand from Resultco next week, although Miss Gerrards is doing the early evening show and Miss Precision is doing the later show, not sure why Miss Gerrards would be doing a Resultco brand.

Anyway it's Sophie & Freda watches. from their web site looks like a mix of overpriced steel and alloy cases with inexspensive quartz movements. I think Resultco want us to believe that Sophie and Freda are besties and buying a watch is the best gift you can your best friend and every-time you look at the watch it will remind you of them. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

What I did definitely hear said was that the female horology expert was unable to explain to us how a tachymeter on a watch worked. Instead, recommending us to have a look at YouTube.
She'd struggle to explain, with these watches, you need a stopwatch for a tachymeter to work. Pointless having one on a rotating bezel or non chronograph watch. Also one of the watches has half a slide rule bezel again pointless with out the other half, you rotate the bezel against to make the calculations. 🤣

I don't know what point Varney is trying to make -"check out your electric and gas bill, see which one is higher, see which one is the one you'd like to lose. I've got gas and electric and i can see a big difference between those bills. i'm not going to tell you which one is which."

If your gas bill is higher, then it's probably because your using gas for cooking, oh wait, you guys at IW don't use normal ovens, you all use small kitchen appliances for cooking so can't be that, and I can't imagine you have your heating on more than me, considering i'm retired at home a lot and the average temps are slighly higher down where you are than up here.

I think he's telling porkies here.

I've got both Reg, electricity bill is more than double the gas (only for heating), so the last thing I would want is too add substantially to the electricity, which would happen if I changed to heating the house with electric ceramic heaters instead of gas.

Westminster Collection Coins.

I don’t know the experience of buying them via Ideal World, but if you buy from Westminster collections website. I know from experience you will get a letter every other week offering you more coins and offers

Yeah, I collected a coin set from The London Mint, and the amount of offers about other collection was unreal.

Westminster Collection Coins.

I don’t know the experience of buying them via Ideal World, but if you buy from Westminster collections website. I know from experience you will get a letter every other week offering you more coins and offers
I'm not saying you should buy stuff hoping it'll go up in value, however I do wonder how many of these collectible coins will prove to be a good investment.

Bordell - "If you saw these in a jewelers for a £1000 you'd be happy to buy it."

Would I heck as like, and neither would you, anybody paying a £1000 for that Chinese watch needs their head examined and you know it.

Wonder how much Solar time (or the Dartmouth Brands) are paying you to come out with that crap.

So Mike has bought a watch for his son, which will probably another 10 years before his wrists are big enough to wear it, just because he's mad on space and it's got a bit of Mars in it.

If he was that interested in space, you could have just bought him a piece of the Mars meteorite without the watch, bits of the Mars meteorites have been on sale for years.

Haley selling the heaters earlier, usual stuff, Peter V doing his heat party trick thing that's worthy of being on the BBC Royal Institution Christmas Lectures. Haley doing the stuff about not needing to heat the whole house as those of us with central heating do (aye okay Haley, whatever you say.) She then went on with the farcical suggestion of wheeling the radiator from room to room. Given they bleat on about how well the things retain heat, you could surely burn yourself touching it to push it from room to room? She even mentioned elderly people that live alone ... yeah cause it's very sensible for them to wheel a hot device around the house!

Muppets.

p.s. my central heating's on, however the rad in my spare room is off, I'm not heating my whole house ;) better to turn TRVs up and down than wheel a friggin' radiator around the house like Dickensian London!!!

Latest posts

Back