Christmas candles: what do you burn?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've never been drawn to Yankee, although I did have one of their wax tart burners and loads of wax tarts at some stage...I liked some of them, but I ended up getting shot of it when I was having a cull, and the drawers were full of tealights (needed to heat up the wax), the wax tarts themselves, I didn't use it regurlarly enough and the burner, which wasn't that attractive, just looked dusty and unloved..and when I noticed it was chipped, I chucked it out then put the rest - lock, stock and barrel in my charity donation bag. The large candles in the jars to me, as long lasting and nice smelling as they are, to me don't look great around the house, yes I know you can buy fancy containers for them, but I don't want any more stuff, and definitely don't need storage jars. For me the look of the candle is as important as its fragrance. The Slatkin ones look fab, smell great..but I decided..in future I'm going to stick to candles I don't mind chucking out when they're done.

Frankincense, I still miss The Pier, some of the candles from there was so nice. Miss the shop full stop, it went in the crash, but have some lovely pieces of stuff from there.
I loved The Pier & also have some really nice pieces; the best one being our dining table which has a tiled top that's patterned with olives.

Twilight, I’m glad someone else remembers it, my Christmas ornaments are nearly all the Pier, some beautiful ones by Gisela Graham, mind you, went in one year before Christmas and everything was a pound! Got loads of stuff fir the kitchen in the sale too, god I really do miss that place, everyone loved getting gifts from there. Your lucky to have a table, I used to swoon over the furniture lol I still have tissue paper and bags from there !

I have some large jars and I'm either going to sell them, "gift" them or try to remove the wax to use in my electric melt warmer. I got really fed up with the jars, they always tunnel, even though I do everything they suggest. I've just had to repaint the lounge ceiling as the black smoke stain on it was gross and when I put it on a shelf for a bit, I now have a scorch mark on the shelf above!!! Melt warners all the way now.

I have some large jars and I'm either going to sell them, "gift" them or try to remove the wax to use in my electric melt warmer. I got really fed up with the jars, they always tunnel, even though I do everything they suggest. I've just had to repaint the lounge ceiling as the black smoke stain on it was gross and when I put it on a shelf for a bit, I now have a scorch mark on the shelf above!!! Melt warners all the way now.
I have 2 electric warmers. One in the kitchen and one in the living room. Occasionally I forget the one in the kitchen off but never caused a fire. I have broken down big candles to burn in them.

Christmas Memories wax tartlets. Unfortunately I am the only person that likes them so I don't burn them for long. I usually buy them in Debenhams in the sales but our store closed down. Failing that daughter usually takes me to the Yankee shop in Bluewater but that didn't happen this year for obvious reasons so I won't be burning /melting anything this year. Oh I do dislike Christmas with a passion.

The only candle we burn on Christmas day is a big squat one that my mother bought when I was 5 years old. It's lit for Christmas dinner then put out at the end of the meal, ready for next year. It's Swedish, pink inside with frosted white wax outside that glows softly and is absolutely beautiful. My mother passed it on to me, and I'll pass it on to my daughter, and when the wax inside finally burns its last, we'll put a tealight in. The only table decoration is holly or some greenery around the candle and it's such a comforting thing to have on Christmas day.

So, I'm starting off my Christmas countdown burning my festive candles!

I started off yesterday with Sparkling Cinnamon, with no great high hopes... but I was completely won over. I really enjoyed it.

Today it's Holiday Sage which initially I was disappointed with. It's not a "room rocker" and is very gentle, slighly creamy vanilla and soft peppermint with a little hint of spice. Nice.

In November I was mostly using cosy or spicy scents, such as Patchouli, Vibrant Saffron, Driftwood, Warm Cashmere, and Orange Clove from Yankee, plus one called Woodfire from Illume. That's just the large jars. I won't go into the small ones, which really only scent my immediate vicinity.

I agree with you about both of those May. I haven’t started mine yet but have got out some world journeys for burning in the day time as they just don’t get used otherwise. So Danish cookies, Bavarian pretzels and Christmas in Paris can burn away if I’m just lounging around then I’ll be using the Yankee Bundles trio of Warm and Cosy, Christmas Magic and All is Bright during the evenings. Well I’ve got to get the stash down somehow! At the moment I still have a floral one to finish but nearly there!

I would like to ask anyone who burn all these scents, don't you ever get nose blind ??

I am a rare candle burner, and I get the initial whiff of perfume for an hour or so (Yankee or otherwise), then after that its a bit like air freshener, - nothing. Looks pretty, but the smell doesn't last.

I would like to ask anyone who burn all these scents, don't you ever get nose blind ??

I am a rare candle burner, and I get the initial whiff of perfume for an hour or so (Yankee or otherwise), then after that its a bit like air freshener, - nothing. Looks pretty, but the smell doesn't last.
Good question!
Personally, no, I don't get nose blind. I continue to get the scent throughout the day. I burn them for at least 3 hours... and sometimes I burn a different one morning to afternoon.
With some, the scent lingers after extinguishing more than others do, of course.

I just enjoy being enveloped in a cosy scent while I am working, especially on a dingy dank day like it is today in London. Just a bit of a treat as I currently only have a single festive decoration up (cleaning first, decorating second) it just feels a bit more festive.

I'm just burning anything at the moment just to get rid of the damned things! Got a massive 3 wick job that oh brought back from somehere or other, it does have a pleasant but subtle smell but in a massive opaque glass jar you can't really see the beauty of the actual candle. I've got one Harry Slatkin left and have decided that I'm going to gift it, 'cause as much as the other two I used, the smell was strong and pleasant if honest no nicer than the ones I usually burn, and as you know I've no use whatsoever for the beautiful glass jars they come in. I don't get nose blind with candles either, only when I'm testing perfumes.

I am burning a Harry Slatkin Candle and even though it smells ok and has a good throw it burns down far too fast for my pocket to bear...I feel like I am literally burning money its burning that fast...I like most yankees and I do find overall they smell nice and have a relatively good throw..plus I find their better scents on the whole have good base ,mid and top notes. For the money and how long they last I like my Yankees

I went off Yankee candles because, for some reason, they started having an overriding paraffin like smell. I do still have some of the votives in the cupboard. I’m currently burning a gingerbread large jar candle (£4.99 from Home Bargains 😉 ) and it permeates throughout the house. My favourite candles are the vanilla fragrance ones from Milkhouse Creamery which QVC used to sell. When I realised that they were going to stop doing them, I bought a lot at a reduced price and now have a stockpile of them. I reserve those for special occasions as the aroma is really lovely and it does spread all over the house. They were beeswax candles and they don’t “soot” at all.

Latest posts

Back