Chat room update

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

just had a read of the chat on rocks tv, only for 5 mins, but i noticed that one of the people who it seemed to me was casuing probs yesterday when i read for 10 mins is doing it again, moaning about st.com! it is so childish, and not at all helpful IMHO, i really thought they would have given up moaning about now. its easter, chocolate ahoy! not a day for moaning

Yep - apparently they're not happy with st!

My personal view is yes, you are right, you are absolutely entitled to offer suggestions and express a view (we all can) but my concern is you were recommending doing away with chat without considering whether the business might suffer due to its abolition. My post sought to encourage the Rocks team to explore whether there is a business benefit that is being overlooked before taking any action. They do not want to be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, after all!

Business has suffered with chat. I don't buy from them anymore and a huge number of others don't either. They've also lost potential favourable advertising because of chat. If it were your business, would you keep it faced with that?

I wasn't recommending anything. I was making suggestions. There's a huge difference.

Hi everyone... Happy Easter to all!!

"Has everyone who doesn't like to chat at all...remembered there is a turn off the chat button...It's always been there!

Mirabelle.

Business has suffered with chat. I don't buy from them anymore and a huge number of others don't either. They've also lost potential favourable advertising because of chat. If it were your business, would you keep it faced with that?

I wasn't recommending anything. I was making suggestions. There's a huge difference.
You seem very passionate about your suggestions - I get that! But to answer your question, I would not just dump chat without doing my homework first. The situation is not black and white. Business has suffered because of inappropriate chat - not chat generally yet it seems clear that the ability to chat while shopping IS a major draw for those customers who continue to shop with Rocks regularly. I recognise this and I am sure that Steve does too (which is why chat has not been done away with yet). What I am saying - and what Steve seems to have said - is that they have implemented this new system, which aims to remove/reduce inappropriate chat from the Rocks chat room and they will give it a bit of time to see if it addresses this issue. I think that is fair enough and I am not sure what is wrong with saying - and doing - that. I am a business consultant and I would never recommend getting rid of something before understanding all the ramifications for a business. I am not sure what is wrong with saying this either. Steve is a business man and he gets this, which is why he has not just arbitrarily closed chat down (even though he probably could!). Yes, he is rightly upset about losing the advertorial but he is also cautious. His attitude is sensible.

As stated previously, I realise some people find chat off putting, but not everyone does. That is a fair - and accurate - comment. At the very least Rocks might wish to explore why that is and what does and doesn't work before taking action (and it seems this is what they intend to do). They may be able to incorporate the elements that work well into whatever they decide to take forward. that would be the most sensible way to proceed.

I am not saying they should keep chat, I am not saying they should not implement your suggestions. What I am saying is the team will want to assure themselves that whatever action they take is going to benefit everyone - new and existing customers - and not alienate a new or existing group of customers for different reasons.

PLEASE!!! Remember, we ALL have different opinions on different issues here, CHAT included. In its current form its not right, and possibly in its current form, for business sense reasons Steve would be better to get rid of it IMVHO. The whole situation is a double edged sword and i'm sure whatever decision is reached by Steve and the team it willl never please everyone.

I'm not defending or criticising anyones opinion here,but with everything we ALL have different views and opinions and just because people disagree it dosent mean either is right or wrong.

Thanks Steve for the thread. Now only if you had e-mailed us all prior to introducing of chit chat some of the reasons we might not be at this stage :)

Hello Rocks & Rockers!

Such a shame that it has come to this. I can understand Rock's management team being annoyed and disappointed by the loss of a major PR opportunity. Personally, I like the chat, or did. I think that maybe I have been fortunate, in that, I have rarely been "in" when episodes of bullying have been taking place. However, I have come in shortly after incidents and the atmosphere has been uncomfortable, particularly when I get along fine with both / all parties involved. I really don't understand or condone cyber bullying and I feel that bullying should not be tolerated. Wiggi was also something I really enjoyed during it's short existence, another good, family feeling facility destroyed by bullies. I have never fallen out with anyone but then again I don't take the chat room too seriously. It is a chat room, not a soap box, pulpit or a place to hold court. I don't like the double chat rooms but that is just my own preference and as has been rightly pointed out many times, it is the Bennett's decision to make. Perhaps when the dust settles it will work better, I sincerely hope it does.

We all love our Rocks jewellery, so let's not all kill our own golden goose!

Inge :)

Inge - I think you've hit the nail on the head. When it works, it works well. When it doesn't it has disastrous consequences.

I have no idea how the Bennetts will resolve this but I'm sure they'll find something that works for all.

I think it's the old addage, people don't like change, when Rocks format changed from a rising auction to it's current status there was similar uproar from regular users, some left and have not reappeared but most returned and spend just as much.
I, in theory, have no problem with 2 chat rooms, it's the way that this was done which has infuriated people, an e.mail would have smoothed the path considerably, Rocks usually have no problem sending e.mails to promote any events that are forthcoming !!!
I do empathise with the loss of the advertising and yes, chat has sometimes been like NHS Direct or The Samaritans, at such times I chose to not read it, 2 chat rooms does address this problem but to have random poofing, by anyone, of a post from Rockschat to Chitchat is somewhat ill conceived. Many people who buy from Rocks are housebound and Rocks chat does give them another interest, fortunately I am not housebound, but the loss of chat could affect their lives greatly. I have witnessed inappropriate chat/bullying on a few occasions and yes it does need to be curbed, but this should be done by properly appointed moderators and persistant offenders should be banned whether or not they spend £1000's at Rocks or not.

I think it's the old addage, people don't like change, when Rocks format changed from a rising auction to it's current status there was similar uproar from regular users, some left and have not reappeared but most returned and spend just as much.
I, in theory, have no problem with 2 chat rooms, it's the way that this was done which has infuriated people, an e.mail would have smoothed the path considerably, Rocks usually have no problem sending e.mails to promote any events that are forthcoming !!!
I do empathise with the loss of the advertising and yes, chat has sometimes been like NHS Direct or The Samaritans, at such times I chose to not read it, 2 chat rooms does address this problem but to have random poofing, by anyone, of a post from Rockschat to Chitchat is somewhat ill conceived. Many people who buy from Rocks are housebound and Rocks chat does give them another interest, fortunately I am not housebound, but the loss of chat could affect their lives greatly. I have witnessed inappropriate chat/bullying on a few occasions and yes it does need to be curbed, but this should be done by properly appointed moderators and persistant offenders should be banned whether or not they spend £1000's at Rocks or not.

I agree that people don't like change, and often huff and puff if things arn't how they want them to be, but generally the threats such as i'll never shop there again are usually idle. I have done it myself in the past, swore i'd never shop in a certain clothing shop again due to terrible tcustomer service, but i have done, once i calmed down!
I understand your point about some people being housebound, and how a chat room could be a great outlet for them, but there are sites such as this one that are designed as chat rooms, rocks tv is first and formost a jewellery retailer. Perhaps there are better places to discuss certain issues, such as proper chat sites.
The two rooms thing mightwork well in time, when people have calmed abit and are abit more used to it. I agree that the trouble makers on rocks chat should be banned, i have noticed one person in particular in the last 2 days, and i only went on for 10 mins at a time! It is such a shame that a minority is spoiling things for others who enjoy the chat facility.

Last edited:
I received Steve's post as an e-mail after I contacted him about this, and I daresay so has everyone else who did the same. I also got this one from him (I'm sure he won't mind me copying it here):

Hi Jacky

many thanks for the email, we are working hard at coming up with a new chat format. There is nothing stopping people having banter with the presenter as before, maybe something has got lost in translation whilst i have been away. But things have to change, the Chat is important to us all, but is has lost us so many customers through improper use and a new solution has to be found.

Regarding upward auctions i am afraid i can't just switch the technology back on as it requires a completely different format.

best wishes and happy easter

Steve

(I put that sentence in bold)

Pity about the upward auctions though...

So - it looks like we don't have to only talk about jewellery in the Rocks chatbox...:1:

I suggested in my reply to him, that he e-mail everyone and ask them personally to keep away from the medical stuff, politics and relationships, which ought to eliminate some of the problems. So people can still talk about pets, what they had for dinner (me making custard at 11pm caused uproar - what's wrong with that lol), or general small talk without getting heavy.

Most internet forums have moderators who are also part of the community, so that's not new and should be accepted. Some people acting as mods though, might be more tolerant than others, but as he said, he can't pay staff to do it.

I really think people should grow up and not go complaining to Rocks about what goes on in Chat. Bullies only continue if they get a reaction. In any case, it's type on a webpage, no-one is in your living room bullying you, and you don't have to turn on the chat if you don't want to. I've usually come in on the end of some drama or other, but tbh I can't see that anything very dreadful has been said when I've been on there. It's difficult to get one's meaning acoss in a very small space without emoticons to help, so it's possible people are misinterpreting some things? Sorry if I sound insensitive, and cyber bullying is unncessary, but we need to keep a sense of proportion surely? Maybe I'm fortunate nobody's tried bullying me, but if they did I'd simply ignore them. (Someone tried it on here once...)

It was unfortunate the magazine caught a convo about verrucas! I think they over-reacted too, though they were probably focussed on jewellery and glamour at the time and the subject took them by surprise...Let's hope Rocks can persuade them to run the article after all. Fashion mag staff evidently don't live in the real world of verrucas and such like!

People need to be made aware that this is a jewellery channel and certain subjects aren't acceptable or appropriate. I personally wouldn't be put off by what people chat about, and have joined in convos about partners and ailments too, but sometimes I've thought come on, this is supposed to be about bling!

Have just caught up with this thread. I'm very sorry about the loss of the magazine article - sounds as if they were being rather precious!
I have no idea why customers have been complaining to Rocks about Chat as I stopped joining in ages ago when the first problems started, so I'm rather out of the loop.
I do feel that because the Bennetts have always been so inclusive, some customers feel they have a right to dictate how various aspects of the company are run - surely it is entirely up to the Bennetts what they do. We have got so used to being consulted, we seem to automatically expect it now - it's not a Co-operative! Steve's top priority always has been and I'm sure always will be, top CS - that's just his style. I'm sure he is really struggling with how to keep as many customers as happy (for as much of the time) as he possibly can, a juggling act that was never going to be easy.
As M4G rightly pointed out, there could have been much better moderation from the beginning. I was often annoyed by the constant demand for items in Chat whilst I was going through Live Help or emails. If the presenters had simply applied this rule without exception, the whingeing could have been stopped from the start. Consistency amongst the presenters has also been somewhat lacking.
Moderation by a team of customers is a good idea in theory, but as it's live chat I can't see how it would work in practice - how could you make absolute sure (rather than just hoping) there was always someone to cover during live hours (the chat could be suspended whilst Rocks is off air)?
I do hope it's all sorted soon because the current atmospere seems to be bogging the whole company down.

It was unfortunate the magazine caught a convo about verrucas! I think they over-reacted too, though they were probably focussed on jewellery and glamour at the time and the subject took them by surprise...Let's hope Rocks can persuade them to run the article after all. Fashion mag staff evidently don't live in the real world of verrucas and such like!

I totally agree with the above, whilst I also think that too much info about peoples ailments can be offputting to many. The light hearted banter about general topics should do no harm to the business side of things and keep people on site whilst waiting for items that interest them to be auctioned.

"Moderation by a team of customers is a good idea in theory, but as it's live chat I can't see how it would work in practice - how could you make absolute sure (rather than just hoping) there was always someone to cover during live hours (the chat could be suspended whilst Rocks is off air)?"

Chat has already been suspended whilst off air due to some inappropriate late night chatters.

I have no problem with customers being moderators but disagree with them being anonymous, if chatters knew a moderator was present any "bad behavior" chatters could damp down themselves with the knowledge that it would be zapped into oblivion.
But logistically it would take a large number of moderators to ensure that all chat, both chat rooms, was adequately policed for 12 hrs, 7 days a week.
As regards request, it should be made known that this cannot be done directly to the presenters through chat and ALL the presenters should adhere to this who in turn should reinforce this to all chatters who request through this manner.

Last edited:
Inge - I think you've hit the nail on the head. When it works, it works well. When it doesn't it has disastrous consequences.

I have no idea how the Bennetts will resolve this but I'm sure they'll find something that works for all.

Yesterday afternoon was one of those times when it did work well ... there was loads of chat about the jewellery as well as daft banter with Jamie and Haydn and I really enjoyed being part of it ... and, oh yes, I bought 2 lovely rings. :D

Just caught up with this thread. I seem to remember that the lovely pregnant lady (whose name, unfortunately, I can't remember :eek:) who tried to keep the chat on the topic of 'bling' in the very early days of RocksTV, was vilified by 'outraged' customers. I believe she was sent on early maternity leave because of the dreadful kerfuffle, she certainly disappeared very quickly. I thought she was right at the time, and now it seems Steve agrees. I hope she gets an apology.

It was Sherridan, P-a-L, and I agree that what happened to her was disgraceful. She was a friendly, helpful member of the team and an apology is in order. I wonder what happened to her?

Thanks Calvin - I was out in the garden when it came to me - Sheridan! Just came back in to post it and found you beat me to it. I agree, she was a delightful girl, and she was right.

It was Sherridan, P-a-L, and I agree that what happened to her was disgraceful. She was a friendly, helpful member of the team and an apology is in order. I wonder what happened to her?

She was in the studio one afternoon not so long ago with her beautiful little baby. Maybe she's still on maternity leave or has decided to be a stay at home Mum.

Latest posts

Back