Blue Fire Opal - Help!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Pimms

Registered Shopper
I flicked up the website and saw that this was selling http://www.rocksandco.com/Jewellery/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=089 564 and even as I changed TV channels to get a look, my finger acted completely independently to the rest of me (including my brain) and I bought it. I've been looking out for this off and on, in white gold, but I've no idea how long it had been selling, or what kind of prices it's been selling for, or anything at all, really. It was £199 and I don't know whether that was outrageously expensive and it will need to go home on the next train, or whether it was the right sort of price. Has anyone else bought this?

I blame it on Gems - if they'd had their whole Alexandrite hour, I would've watched that and been out in the kitchen making a cup of tea when the fire opal came on, instead of web-and-channel hopping.

Last edited:
Hi Pimms, good to see you about. I have no knowledge about blue fire opal so can't say whether it's a good deal or not but I will say that it looks absolutely gorgeous. Get it home by which time I'm sure Meesh will have helped out. I will say that sometimes it doesn't matter to me if I've paid over the odds if I love the piece and feel that I may not see another like it for some time. What does annoy me is buying something that is claimed to be rare only to find nothing else on screen for weeks. I can't say I've seen blue fire opal before though, let us know what it's like IRL. :spider:

Although it is very pretty, I think it may be a bit pricey Pimms. The majority of the cost is in the stone given the tiny gold weight and the usual diamond "dust". Hopefully Meesh is around to lend a hand.

Argey x

Thanks all. I know that with a pendant of this style I'm only really paying for the stone, but what I really wanted was a ring anyway, so if it's going to be re-set, the less wastage the better, but the only other blue fire opal piece I can remember seeing was a yellow gold ring, and I can't for the life of me remember how much it went for. I'm with you BC (hi!) in that I don't mind paying a bit over if it's gorgeous, but I don't want to pay silly money. I'll have to wait and see.

Thanks Argey - that's exactly the ring I was thinking of. Hmmmm - bigger stone than mine, and more gold..... I'll still have to see :)

I bought a blue, fire opal ring. I bought it because Rocks & Co said it was a small deposit and they had no idea if they could ever get such a gem ever again...so I went for it. I love opals so I felt I just had to have it in my collection, whether it will prove to be an investment piece or not I just don't know, but I know I would kick myself if I didn't get it now while it was available. I'll be interested what others think. I'll post a picture later but I have to go out now.

Honestly? I wouldn't pay that much. It's very expensive. However, if you LOVE it and have to have it then the cost is (almost) irrelevant if you can afford it.

As for blue opal, I'd say that you should only buy it/keep it, if you like it. Forget about whether it's rare. There are "rare" gemstones that never have any value.

In terms of an investment piece? There's really no such thing with jewellery/gemstones. There are some exceptions but they're few and far between. Blue Opal wouldn't be in that category I'm afraid.

DSC00378.jpg
DSC00380.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00377.jpg

The reason I was attracted to this stone was because it was an opal and as it is my favourite gem, that was the main attraction even though there is no colour play. If they had said 'aquamarine' I would not have paid £199 for it, even though that was the price...and yet, I guess to be honest...that is what it reminds me of. I paid for it purely because they called it 'blue fire opal'. I'll probably never get what I paid for it but as I have no intentions of ever selling it...the value, to me, is having a new, unusual opal for my collection. We all have our moments of weakness.

Huggles, I think it's beautiful. I think I was first attracted to the stone for the same reason as you - I love opals. I also love cool blues, so when I saw the blue I thought it was lovely and that I would be able to wear it tooIf it looks like aquamarine that's fine by me - I would know it was an opal! It's also nice to know it's untreated.

I agree that it's best not to try and buy 'rare' stones for investment purposes. On the other hand, if someone offered a nice big Russian Alexandrite at a knock-down price, I think I'd be forced to reconsider :D

I flicked up the website and saw that this was selling http://www.rocksandco.com/Jewellery/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=089 564 and even as I changed TV channels to get a look, my finger acted completely independently to the rest of me (including my brain) and I bought it. I've been looking out for this off and on, in white gold, but I've no idea how long it had been selling, or what kind of prices it's been selling for, or anything at all, really. It was £199 and I don't know whether that was outrageously expensive and it will need to go home on the next train, or whether it was the right sort of price. Has anyone else bought this?

I blame it on Gems - if they'd had their whole Alexandrite hour, I would've watched that and been out in the kitchen making a cup of tea when the fire opal came on, instead of web-and-channel hopping.

Hiya Pimms, afraid I have no knowledge of Blue Fire Opals but I really did like what I saw posted in the earlier thread.
So unusual to see an Opal that isn't opaque, but judging from the link it appears to have a lovely icy blueness
and the faceting gives it lots of personality. I'm wondering if this stone is better set in white gold as it looks so
well suited in your link. :33:

Has Indigo ventured an opinion as yet? If you do get it home, I would love to hear what you think of it and
will keep everything crossed that its all you wish for. I've also impulsively 'bought' something after suddenly
happening on a presentation......and I've been delighted with the outcome. :D

Btw...what happened in the Gems Alex hour, did it finish early? I missed it unfortunately.....:31:

Hi Sacha,

Indigo doesn't yet know of my reckless spending, as she's in Spain. If she'd been here she might have made me sit on my hands. It's all her fault.... The pendant's definitely coming home now, so I'll let you know.

The Gems Alex hour was a complete non-event lasting 20 minutes and a few rings, one of which was already on the web. It really was very odd. Angeline spent the rest of the hour selling little animal boxes.

Sorry to hijack your thread ............. Just had to say that they've had some really large carat sizes in Alex floating around the web for the last 100 years. They're so expensive though which is probably what's putting people off. There's something (not Alex) that I've had my eye on for 18 months waiting for the price to come down (no chance I think) but they never seem to budge in price!

Sorry to hijack your thread .............
That's OK :) You'd think they might have included the web auctions on their mega sale - if they're making way for new stock this would seem an ideal opportunity to blow the dust off some of those pieces that have been there at least since I started buying from Gems and probably quite a bit before that. At least those ex-display Alex earrings seem to've gone!

Hi Pimms,

R & C sold a white gold blue fire opal ring just one auction before the pendant, they were a match. It, like your pendant, was beautiful, I had trouble controlling my finger and would have loved to purchase it. If my memory serves me well it went for £229. Whether it's truly rare or not I have no idea, but for what it's worth, IMO, it's a really beautiful gemstone, so enjoy it.

In all honesty I know nowt about blue fire opal - zilch! But I do know I think its looks stunning and I'd love to own a piece myself. I wil do once we are free of paying 2 mortgages! (still can't sell our old house - well we coud at the most stupid price I've ever heard of but thats not going to happen!).

Latest posts

Back