Shimoyo Rubellite - thoughts?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yes I agree MM. The rings that I saw in a previous show were much more pinky toned and if the prices weren't so silly...........:54: :pPC:

That's where we differ then! I intensely dislike the pink tones - to me that's not what Rubellite is about. If I wanted that, I'd get a pink tourmaline!!!! Same family after all! I much prefer the raspberry purple tones. Mmmmmmmmmmmm! Thank God we don't all like the same things!!! lol

Absolutely Meesh cos then we'd have to fight over em!! :D Btw I LOVED that last gent's ring, pity it was sooooooooooooooo hooooge. :pPC:

Did you see the trilliant at the top of the hour Sue? That was very pink and reminded me in design of your tanzy.

A piccie request for Meesh.....

I watched some of tonights show, also switching between the new Tanzys' presentation on GTV1 (with the sound turned down.........presenter gabbling and gesticulating too much!).

It was interesting to see this new Rubellite as I've always had a liking for this stone, but am very fussy about the colouring. So can I ask you a big favour Meesh..........you got a gorgeous pearshaped? pendant from Gems......in quite an elaborate setting.......earlier last year maybe? You did show us a pic of it and to me that was the epitome of what colour a Rubellite should be. Any chance of seeing that again? Pleez?

I watched some of tonights show, also switching between the new Tanzys' presentation on GTV1 (with the sound turned down.........presenter gabbling and gesticulating too much!).

It was interesting to see this new Rubellite as I've always had a liking for this stone, but am very fussy about the colouring. So can I ask you a big favour Meesh..........you got a gorgeous pearshaped? pendant from Gems......in quite an elaborate setting.......earlier last year maybe? You did show us a pic of it and to me that was the epitome of what colour a Rubellite should be. Any chance of seeing that again? Pleez?

Do you mean my ring Sacha? That's a pear cut. I do have a couple of pendants but I don't think I have a pear shaped one. I did buy a loose stone (not from Gems) and was going to have that made into a pendant but didn't get round to it!!!

Anyway, here's the ring. It's a bugga to photograph. I adore it. No brown at all. So you can compare prices this was (if I remember) about £450 ish and is 5ct of loveliness! Almost eye clean, it has a tiny inclusion up by the point of the pear that you can see in some lights - you can see it clearly in this photograph but IRL it's not as noticeable. I'd describe it's colour as raspberry with red and pink flashes. Absolutely NO brown whatsoever.

Rubellite-1.jpg

See how you can't see the inclusion in this photo?
Rubellite5.jpg

Do you mean my ring Sacha? That's a pear cut. I do have a couple of pendants but I don't think I have a pear shaped one. I did buy a loose stone (not from Gems) and was going to have that made into a pendant but didn't get round to it!!!

Anyway, here's the ring. It's a bugga to photograph. I adore it. No brown at all. So you can compare prices this was (if I remember) about £450 ish and is 5ct of loveliness! Almost eye clean, it has a tiny inclusion up by the point of the pear that you can see in some lights - you can see it clearly in this photograph but IRL it's not as noticeable. I'd describe it's colour as raspberry with red and pink flashes. Absolutely NO brown whatsoever.

Rubellite-1.jpg

See how you can't see the inclusion in this photo?
Rubellite5.jpg

Very many thanks for the lovely pics Meesh, this stone is indeed beautiful with lots of colour saturation and yet has the clarity so that the facets can be seen. I don't know why I thought it was a pendant, but I do recall how pretty the setting was....perhaps it was an oval?? However, this ring displays brilliantly the wonderful depth of colour and different hues a very good Rubellite can have.....so again.....many thanks indeed. Much obliged.

Sacha - you are most welcome. You've got me thinking now! Do you mean this stone that I bought loose and then was going to make into the pendant that I mocked up a piccie of below?

I do have an oval pendant - it's not great quality (but doesn't go brown) and I like the setting. Photo of that one as well!

RubellitePear272ct.jpg

RubellitePearDesign.jpg

Rubellite_1_1.jpg

Sacha - you are most welcome. You've got me thinking now! Do you mean this stone that I bought loose and then was going to make into the pendant that I mocked up a piccie of below?

I do have an oval pendant - it's not great quality (but doesn't go brown) and I like the setting. Photo of that one as well!

RubellitePear272ct.jpg

RubellitePearDesign.jpg

Rubellite_1_1.jpg

Very many thanks again for these lovely pics Meesh. I wish we could scroll back through the threads but I guess it was pre forum crash time. I seem to recall that you showed us a couple of shots and one was more of a side view and I remember commenting how pretty and intricate the surrounding setting was.... it was like a halo round the stone. I'm sure it was on the Gems forum but can't recall if you said it was snatched from the website (pre change) or from a live auction. However I'm still delighted to see the pics you have already shown us and the loose Rubellite I am sure will make a gorgeous piece of jewellery in due course.

Indeed Miss Magpie that necklace was quite magnificent. Very regal.

Oh I'm so sorry Sacha, I honestly don't know which one you might be thinking of. I'll give it some thought and rummage about to see if I can find which piece it might be!

I agree Miss M, the necklace is divine BUT where on earth would you wear it? I mean, how many red carpet / state visits do we all do? Do you think it would be over the top to wear to Asda?

Well I watched most of the 6pm show on the laptop while cooking dinner (and had Gemstv on the telly to gawp at the Tanzanite) and couldn't believe the prices!!!! Whilst I didn't hate the design of pendant although a tad too large even for my taste - the stone was dead IMO :gasp:

I did like three cushion cut ring designs, but two of them had dull stones (893 873 and 683 871 which were £1149 and £779 :faints: ) and if I had more money than sense I might have gone for 739 340 but in reality even if I won the lottery I couldn't justify £879 for it!

Like Meeshoo says, some were so pale pink that, pretty as they were, shouldn't even be called Rubellite, let alone given those ridiculous prices.

Nope, I don't feel as if I've watched something I will be longing for but can't afford, my little sparkler will do me just fine. :heart:

Missed seeing the necklace though................................... :sad:

Its still on Lynda....now dropped to £13,799. :11:

Tony's beginning to look as sick as a parrot!

Its still on Lynda....now dropped to £13,799. :11:

Tony's beginning to look as sick as a parrot!

Damn and blast! I take so ruddy long to write a post!

I didn't know it was going to be on again, I could have had it on in the background as I'm on the laptop anyway (Rocks and co aren't on my cable tellybox :sad: )

They're trying to flog a ginormous Tanzy now, 15+ carats including the diamonds, shame there's only one, I'd like one for each hand. :rofl:

Channels used to compete to sell at the lowest prices, now I think they are trying to top each other to see who can get the highest :rolleyes:

Yes I'd give that stone a home, not too enthralled with the design though. :pPC:

Hi Everyone:

Just want to thank you all for your interest in Shimoyo Rubellite. It truly is an incredibly beautiful and rare gemstone, and as I’ve said previously, it’s collectively the best Rubellite I have ever seen (and I’ve seen a few :4:). But much like a fine bottle of wine, you get what you pay for. The simple fact is that we can’t get anymore from this deposit (it finished April 2008) and with little fine Rubellite coming out of the ground from anywhere else, good quality demands a premium. Many of you know me, so when I tell you I’ve secured a Shimoyo Rubellite for my wife’s (our) collection; I hope this reinforces how special it is.

As I’ve said previously, Shimoyo Rubellite is characterised by its ‘classic’ colour and along with its exceptional clarity, these attributes define this gemstone. While you should be aware of the marketplace dynamics, colour preferences in gems are subjective (what is awful to one can be attractive to another). The ideal Rubellite is generally regarded as an intense raspberry that is not too dark or too light, with no brownish tints.

While the 18K Shimoyo Rubellite & Diamond Yellow Gold Pendant (Item Number: 770 656) is at the darker end of Rubellite’s spectrum, like Tony, I saw no brown when I had the opportunity to see this gemstone in the flesh. I see a lot of gems, but a 27 carat plus Rubellite with such a gorgeous atypical clarity (for this variety) finds a special place in your memory. After all, fine Rubellite, especially over 4 carats, is a veritable scarcity. In nature you rarely get everything perfect together and in this case, its size and quality made it easy to forgive and embrace its rich colour.

One common question is what is the difference between Pink Tourmaline and Rubellite? After recognising that red and pink are technically the same colour, Rubellite is distinguished from Pink Tourmaline by its deeper tone (darkness of a colour) and greater saturation (strength of a colour). To help, I’ve included a nifty colour chart to show you where Pink Tourmaline ends and Rubellite begins in my latest book ‘The Clever Gem Buyer’. You can access the webpage version here http://www.rocksandco.com/book2/book-s2-19.asp?page=s2-19. I recommend that anyone interested in Rubellite gives this read. Lastly, I’ve attached another picture of that stunning Shimoyo Rubellite necklace.

Thanks again for all your feedback and support. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Wishes,

Gav

Attachments

• SR-12.jpg
    SR-12.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 284

Latest posts

Back