Tony Diniz - Lack of Credibility        

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Meeshoo Guest

Default Tony Diniz - Lack of Credibility

Would any gemstone buyer worth his/her credibility tout this as:-

"Top neon blue"
    "This is IT in terms of Paraiba Tourmaline"

I really must look up the definition of "neon" because Tony Diniz and I seem to differ on what it must mean.

Sorry for the rant guys but selling this pathetic attempt of "paraiba" is just embarassing. I feel so sorry for the customers paying over inflated prices for rubbish gemstones. Quite frankly this jewellery channel are extracting the urine at the expense of their customers.

Oh and he's just sold a windowed cluster pink sapphire ring (heated/treated) saying how special the sapphires are (whilst selling the ring for 129!). No Tony. Unheated/untreated sapphires are NOT special. They're faked up rubbish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paraiba you're having a laugh.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	3152  

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been to Brazil, but I will be interested to see what colours the "neon" signs are there...... nothing like we know them in the rest of the world, it seems!

Post Thanks / Like

I remember Judy Mayfield selling PT a few years ago on IW,they were from Brazil and were Neon,I haven't seen one since on a shopping channel,I believe the African variety don't have the Neon brightness and I also agree that Diniz is an American salesman misleading people into parting with hard earned cash for what they may think is the Best.We all know that insurance valuations don't mean a thing,ask a jeweller what he will pay you for it and then I think you will get the real value.

Meeshoo Guest

NannieA - the Mozambique Paraiba rivals in terms of "neon-ness" if that's a word! lol I've got both Brazilian and Mozambique PT and there's no difference for great quality pieces. I'll post up some photos (sorry for all those who have seen them before) so you can see! Totally agree about Tony Diniz being a glorified salesman.

TONY DINIZ again - is now saying that the Emerald in the screen grab below is a top quality Emerald and if you had it appraised, it would be valued between 6,000 and 8,000 PER CARAT. No no no no no. Sooooo wrong!

At least he said that the lack of inclusions is what you want but this was a pale minty green and he said it was "top colour". OMG what? No it's not! Tony, perhaps you should look at the 2nd photo attached below - this is a top quality Emerald. Perhaps on your next buying trip you should take it for reference purposes?

Name:	Emerald.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	3153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Emerald Ring1.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	3154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paraiba Tourmaline 1.87ct.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	3155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paraiba Tourmaline 3.45ct_1_1_1.JPG 
Views:	251 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	3156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paraiba Tourmaline 18.34ct on hand_1_1_1.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	3157  

Last edited by Meeshoo; 28-06-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am no expert but that paraiba in the 1st shot looks more like aquamarine to me.....in fact put them side by side you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference I reckon!

Post Thanks / Like

Have you seen the 20 plus carat ring they are selling later tonight? Clear as a bell.... a glass bell! I will try to watch though, in spite of myself: there is a strange fascination in hearing what nonsense they will spout next.
    Watching doesn't mean buying though!!

Meeshoo Guest

Here we go .......... the glass paraiba!

I believe it's 20+ carat? Just proves size isn't everything!!! :)

Mine is 18.34ct and whilst it's pretty it's no way a top class specimen. It's nicer IRL and has good brightness and colour for its size.

Name:	Paraiba by Tony Diniz - Paraiba by Meeshoo.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	3158  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meeshoo View Post
    Here we go .......... the glass paraiba!

I believe it's 20+ carat? Just proves size isn't everything!!! :)
    Well, only in boxes of chocolate and tubs of ice-cream.... "in my opinion" :blush:

If Tony is going to waffle, I wish he would at least waffle consistently.... one minute the price he has seen stones at in a fancy store is 8k dollars a carat, then $15k ......... or...he has been offered $1200 a carat for this, then, twenty seconds later, $5000....... if any of this were true the amounts would be the same each time of telling :headbang:
    Personally, if I had been offered x thousand dollars a carat for a stone I would have sold it for that price, rather than the tens of pounds they are flogging them for ! What sort of business man makes that kind of deal?
    "I have contracted to bring them to you" he says, all the while complaining he wouldn't sell for so little......:taphead: I know ten year old kids who can cut a better deal than that..... witness the prices they charge for chores!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nannieA View Post
    I remember Judy Mayfield selling PT a few years ago on IW,they were from Brazil and were Neon,I haven't seen one since on a shopping channel,I believe the African variety don't have the Neon brightness and I also agree that Diniz is an American salesman misleading people into parting with hard earned cash for what they may think is the Best.We all know that insurance valuations don't mean a thing,ask a jeweller what he will pay you for it and then I think you will get the real value.
    I have a Judy Mayfeild PT and i adore it! it is very neon although these pics don't really show it, never seen anything close on Rocks and Co! maybe Tony would benefit from a look at Meeshoos collection! love the Paraiba ring Meeshoo now thats Neon Tony take note!

Name:	161.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	3160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	163.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	3161  

Post Thanks / Like

OMG Meeshoo, your rings and stones are beautiful. If they ever need a good home then they tell me Dunfermline in Scotland's nice :Happy1:

As for that Rocks Colombian Emerald - when I looked at the screen shot I thought it was a Siberian Emerald until I read the graphics!! It doesn't look any better than the $28 Siberian Emerald pictured below!! Even their Photoshopped picture looks nothing like a Colombian Emerald!

They were trying to sell a multi stone Paraiba ring today for 999. I think it was 12 stones totalling 1.64 carats or thereabouts. My hubby happened to come in when it was on and his exact words were "that's a hell of a price for White Topaz"!! He then went on to ask why it had different coloured bits in the middle of the stones - that's a window to you and me lol! I wouldn't have given 99p for it!

As far as Tony Diniz is concerned - for someone who is supposed to have been in the business of gem hunting for 12 years he has a severe lack of knowledge to say the least! Anyone who can sit on national tv and sing the praises of a poor coloured, highly treated, badly cut gemstone obviously has no pride in their job! Either that or they just don't really have a clue what they're talking about! Mind you, he could just be deliberately talking sh*te like the rest of them because they all think we're a bunch of numpties who know nothing and believe every word they say!!

Gemcherub love your ring it's a beautiful colour, lucky you!

Name:	$28 Siberian Emerald.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	3159  
    Last edited by Klosblue; 28-06-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Gemcherub's ring