What if...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

back on topic now...:thinking2:

i've been with QVC from just after the start & will hold my hands up to say i was, on occasion, an awful customer for them!

you know when they used to really harp on about using beauty products for the 30 days, giving you time to see results, but don't worry - even if you're at the bottom of the jar, you can still return it. well, i DID! :cool2:

i probably only did this less than 10 times in total, but still mounts up if even a smallish % of buyers were actually doing what QVC was encouraging us to do. but that was back in the boom days & their profit margin has no doubt taken a serious hit in the last 2yrs or so. their Unique Selling Point that was rammed down our throats for years (& various other selling tactics), perhaps doesn't seem such a good idea now does it QVC...

the profit&loss types of QVC are now ruling how our accounts are being ran &, TBH, you can't really blame them...

I've only ever returned two orders and both have been shoes that didn't fit. I'm going to sound like a real old fuddy duddy, but while I know that their unique selling point is try before you buy etc, I feel that it's a bit off to get the goods, use them and then return them. If everyone did that there soon wouldn't be a business. If I make an impulse buy (very rare) then tough on me! Sure return misfits and faulty goods, but is it really on to buy make-up etc give it a good go then send it back? I don't know, maybe that's the whole point of QVC, but it's something I wouldn't feel comfortable about doing.

i definitely agree with you now PP, i think i used to justify it to myself by saying 'they're making loads of money & THEY SAID i could do it etc.' but then, i used to justify quite a lot of my behaviour in my 'bad old' days...

i'd like to think i'm older & wiser these days - i definitely wouldn't dream of doing it now, which i take to be a personal progress!

Aww, Igelkott, I know they way they have gone about it is upsetting, but really, not having an account with QVC is not the end of the world.

?: How?thinking2:

I have never received 'the letter' but a lot of FM's on here who have and also a FM who was refused purchases from Gems TV have said that they feel upset. I would probably feel upset and that would be replaced by anger.

I think that making someone wait two week for 'sentencing' so to speak is not a good way to treat someone. It looks to me as though they want to make Igelkott sweat. I am not saying putting something on checkhold is right or wrong as I have never used it, but I think a letter explaining the situation and asking the customer to only use checkhold if they intend to buy and not use it as a reservation whilst they decide whether they want it would be a better way to go initally.

i definitely agree with you now PP, i think i used to justify it to myself by saying 'they're making loads of money & THEY SAID i could do it etc.' but then, i used to justify quite a lot of my behaviour in my 'bad old' days...

i'd like to think i'm older & wiser these days - i definitely wouldn't dream of doing it now, which i take to be a personal progress!

Hi Lexxy! Good for you on your progress! I wasn't having a go at you btw, it's just I can see where they're coming from with 'the letter'. However they do kind of bring it on themselves with the 30 day mbg and constantly urging us to buy and send it back if it doesn't suit. I guess it's just up to everyone to use it responsibly. That way, if Laura Gellar brings us out in hives or Ojon makes our hair fall out we at least don't lose out financially!

2.2 All orders placed by you are subject to acceptance by us. We may choose not to accept your order for any reason and will not be liable to you or to anyone else in those circumstances. We may also close your account for any reason including the reasons detailed in clause 9.3 and will not be liable to you or to anyone else in those circumstances.

9.3 It is our policy to contact and work with customers whose level of returns is very high. This is to ensure that our prices are not negatively impacted by the cost to QVC of dealing with an extremely high number of returns by a small minority of customers. If a customer continues to return an extremely high number of products to us, we reserve the right to close their account. If this happens the customer’s statutory rights will remain unaffected, orders accepted by us before the account has been closed will be fulfilled in accordance with these terms and individual product warranties will continue to be honoured in accordance with their terms.

14.6 You may not assign or sub-contract any of your rights or obligations under these Terms and Conditions or any related order for products to any third party unless agreed upon in writing by QVC.

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.a...s_Conditions,html?cm_re=Footer-_-Footer-_-TCS

It's their party....... :handshake:

2.2 All orders placed by you are subject to acceptance by us. We may choose not to accept your order for any reason and will not be liable to you or to anyone else in those circumstances. We may also close your account for any reason including the reasons detailed in clause 9.3 and will not be liable to you or to anyone else in those circumstances.

9.3 It is our policy to contact and work with customers whose level of returns is very high. This is to ensure that our prices are not negatively impacted by the cost to QVC of dealing with an extremely high number of returns by a small minority of customers. If a customer continues to return an extremely high number of products to us, we reserve the right to close their account. If this happens the customer’s statutory rights will remain unaffected, orders accepted by us before the account has been closed will be fulfilled in accordance with these terms and individual product warranties will continue to be honoured in accordance with their terms.

14.6 You may not assign or sub-contract any of your rights or obligations under these Terms and Conditions or any related order for products to any third party unless agreed upon in writing by QVC.

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.a...s_Conditions,html?cm_re=Footer-_-Footer-_-TCS

It's their party....... :handshake:

It would be helpful though if they gave you an idea of what sort of percentage they consider high and also tell you what is included in their calculations. For instance, there is no way you would keep shoes or clothing that dont fit, items which arrive broken and you dont want a replacement as you dont trust the design and beauty products etc that are not as seemed...i.e. the ingredients not completly mineral free etc.

Also, it would be more honest of them to say...Terms & Conditions Apply when pushing the MBG.

I am not saying they shouldnt have their T&C's, just not hide them in small print and be a bit more transparent regarding what they actually consider 'extremely high'.

Do QVC forget that as "distance selling" customers we have a right to change our minds or cancel? Also if they don't like the cheque hold system, why dont the stop offering this service?

Qvc could as a sanction withdraw chequehold from individuals, this would stop the "abuse" of this service. I'm sure there have been posts before where this has been done or threatened. A 2 week wait sounds like a warning shot or the account would surely have been closed by now.

Do QVC forget that as "distance selling" customers we have a right to change our minds or cancel? Also if they don't like the cheque hold system, why dont the stop offering this service?

Yes but the OP did not contact QVC and cancel they just left the items in their account until it dropped off after the 10 day period.

Yes cheque was withdrawth by QVC for members on ST.com a few years back. There was talk they were actually withdrawing accepting cheques altogether.

It's not actually a cheque hold system though, it's a cheque payment system. When you place an order and select cheque as the payment you are placing an order, not saying that you might want something and getting them to hold it for you while you decide.

I imagine they are reasonably tolerant if you phone and cancel as that leaves them with a new product they can sell for full price, rather than a return that theoretically goes to the outlet shop and gets sold for a knock-down price. However I can understand how they might be less tolerant if you repeatedly order and just let the 10 days elapse.

When I have returned things they have been in exactly the same condition as they have arrived, however, since my return rate was 50% I still got the letter, unfortunately they don't take into account the condition of the returns. I've always worked on the same basis as if I was returning something in person to a shop. I would imagine that the current recession is making qvc think about the way they operate. Perhaps when they go on about the 30 day money back guarantee there should be a ticker tape disclaimer on the bottom of the screen...
"QVC reserves the right to sell to customers who return more than 50% of their purchases"

When I have returned things they have been in exactly the same condition as they have arrived, however, since my return rate was 50% I still got the letter, unfortunately they don't take into account the condition of the returns. I've always worked on the same basis as if I was returning something in person to a shop. I would imagine that the current recession is making qvc think about the way they operate. Perhaps when they go on about the 30 day money back guarantee there should be a ticker tape disclaimer on the bottom of the screen...
"QVC reserves the right to sell to customers who return more than 50% of their purchases"

They do say (though we know this isn't always the case) that returns aren't sent out again so even if you send things back in a perfect condition they will still lose out.

To be honest though if I got to the point where I was sending back half my purchases I would be having a rethink about what I was buying.

I do think however that returns due to items being faulty shouldn't be taken into account when calculating your returns rate.

Another thought

It just occurred to me also to say that if people put, for example, a TSV item on cheque hold and then let the time lapse without paying for it (also, if they ring up and cancel a few days later, to be fair) it means that an item that I may have wanted and was willing to pay for immediately does indeed go back on sale but at a higher price - I've missed out on a cheaper price through to others being able to hold off and decide later.

I wonder whether QVC should just have done with it and cancel the cheque hold service? As I said, you can't "hold" things in a shop nor, to be fair, on any other on-line shopping site and change your mind later - eBay are very strict about this after you've won an auction item, Amazon needs immediate payment, asos, johnlewis.com (great site) etc etc.

Another thing QVC could do, but don't so far. If you have an item and picked Paid By Cheque, it you actually have a card stored in their system change it to the card payment and ship it out to you. They could do this coming to the 10 days and they have heard nothing from the customer.

Another thing QVC could do, but don't so far. If you have an item and picked Paid By Cheque, it you actually have a card stored in their system change it to the card payment and ship it out to you. They could do this coming to the 10 days and they have heard nothing from the customer.

I was thinking this. Or you would think that they could set parameters on the account so that if someone indicates they want to pay by cheque the website or Customer Service people say sorry that option is not available.

It just occurred to me also to say that if people put, for example, a TSV item on cheque hold and then let the time lapse without paying for it (also, if they ring up and cancel a few days later, to be fair) it means that an item that I may have wanted and was willing to pay for immediately does indeed go back on sale but at a higher price - I've missed out on a cheaper price through to others being able to hold off and decide later.

That's one reason why it's worth using waitlist/advanced orders for a TSV that you miss out on. I wanted the GHD TSV and missed it, so went on advanced orders.Luckily, someone cancelled a chq hold order appx 5 days later, so one was showing in stock. I rang CS, they converted my advanced order to take the one in stock, and reduced it to the TSV price!When I looked back at the product, it was showing as waitlist again, so it was just a stroke of luck!CS could only do it coz I had actually placed an order, so it's worth thinking about.

It would be helpful though if they gave you an idea of what sort of percentage they consider high and also tell you what is included in their calculations. For instance, there is no way you would keep shoes or clothing that dont fit, items which arrive broken and you dont want a replacement as you dont trust the design and beauty products etc that are not as seemed...i.e. the ingredients not completly mineral free etc.

Also, it would be more honest of them to say...Terms & Conditions Apply when pushing the MBG.

I am not saying they shouldnt have their T&C's, just not hide them in small print and be a bit more transparent regarding what they actually consider 'extremely high'.

I would add that the majority of customers don't read the T&C's and I have never heard of the presenters adding a word of caution while promoting the "special QVC 30 day MBG" with regard to the letter. Has anyone else????? Personally I have never used a product then returned it, I tend to like it & keep it or hate it/ have size issues etc and I do see this as my customer rights provided item is returned in a timely manner. I use cc or dc, never used cheque hold

Last edited:
I would add that the majority of customers don't read the T&C's and I have never heard of the presenters adding a word of caution while promoting the "special QVC 30 day MBG" with regard to the letter. Has anyone else????? Personally I have never used a product then returned it, I tend to like it & keep it or hate it/ have size issues etc and I do see this as my customer rights provided item is returned in a timely manner.

I'm the same, just couldn't do it, even though I've heard presenters say things like 'wear the ring, see if your friends admire it (implication being that they would be bound to admire it) and if you're still not happy - send it back'

I rarely return items and if I do it's always clothes. The last things I returned were two tops which were lovely and fitted everywhere beautifully, apart from the armholes, which were nearly down to my waist (bizarre!).
Again, I have to say that QVC has always been great with me. We have to collect all parcels from the P.O. in the nearest village and it's only open 'til 2, mon-fri. First though, the postman has to leave a collection ticket in our mailbox. He doesn't come out if it's too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry.......we're lucky if we get mail once a fortnight! Because of this, I can't always return within 30 days. However, the first thing I do is ring QVC and explain that the return will be late and they are always fine about it.
I think the mistake the OP made was to just let things slide, with no contact and I don't think that it is acceptable.

Latest posts

Back