Crosses - opinions please

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hey Klos,I bought an alexandrite cross quite a few years ago and ended up giving it to my grandaughter,I always felt like a hypocrite when I wore it ,being an atheist.
So,now,even though I think they are really pretty and great value I know I wouldn't wear it.

Hey Klos,I bought an alexandrite cross quite a few years ago and ended up giving it to my grandaughter,I always felt like a hypocrite when I wore it ,being an atheist.
So,now,even though I think they are really pretty and great value I know I wouldn't wear it.

Yes I'd feel the same NannieA. They do have some lovely ones though but sadly not for me.

I am a Christian, and when I wear a cross (which is by no means all the time) I do associate it with my faith, as well regarding it as a beautiful pendant in its own right. (I have an exceptionally lovely Judy Mayfield one with rainbow sapphires and diamonds.)

Like Rosie the Poet, I'm not sure I'd want to wear one if I weren't Christian, and when I see someone else wearing one I do wonder if they share my faith. Having said that, I also know that a lot of people wear them for fashion alone, as the cross symbol has become a part of our culture aside from its immediate religious connotations. (Interestingly, I noticed that crosses were very popular in Japan when I visited a few years ago, and Christianity is very much a minority religion there.)

So I guess it's up to you. But don't buy one if you don't feel comfortable with it - you'll end up not wearing it, and it will just sit in your jewellery box.

I agree with you Miss Magpie. I am also a Christian, and I do wear a small white gold cross most of the time. I was in Cyprus a few years ago and an old priest who was selling oranges noticed my cross and started gabbling on in Greek, he shook my hand, indicated to the cross and gave me a free bag of oranges. So I think that the cross is an international symbol of Christianity and if you wear one, unless you're going to "go punk" people will automatically make the assumption you are a religious person. So if in doubt don't buy it or as Miss M says it will just sit in your jewellery box, and there are so many other lovely things you could spend your money on.

I would say I was Agnostic I always wear crosses and its simpley because I like them, I used to only wear a celtic cross as I was worried wearing a "normal" cross would be wrong in some way.
I now wear what I want and do not care what others think,I adore my emerald cross and its rarley of my neck, I have a geisha tattoo and I am not japense.

Wear it if you like it

xx

Latest posts

Back