Indian shopping channel set for Monday launch        

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Graham Guest

Default Indian shopping channel set for Monday launch

wws sky shopThe UK's first Indian shopping channel WWS Sky Shop (World Wide Shopping) is set to launch on Sky Digital on Monday (11th August).

The channel, which has been testing off the Sky EPG for the past few days, has confirmed to BizAsia.co.uk that WWS Sky Shop will be available on EPG 681 this week. It will compete directly with mainstream giants QVC and Ideal World as the channel will sit within the main 'Shopping' genre of the EPG.

WWS Sky Shop claims to be the market leader in the Indian teleshopping industry with a full range of unique and innovative products at affordable prices, the products includes a complete range of herbal and health care products including several kinds of fitness equipments.

Whilst the channel promotes it products on ZEE TV India, Sony Entertainment Television Asia India and STAR Plus India, it doesn’t have a 24-hour channel of its own. However this will now change with WWS Sky Shop experimenting a full time service in the UK for the first time. Initially some shows will be shown in pre-recorded format but it is expected a move towards live programming will be implemented later.

Apurva Meratia of WWS Sky Shop told BizAsia.co.uk how excited the team was to launch in the UK. "This is a very happy occasion for WWS and we're looking forward to competing with the other UK shopping channels. This is the first of a kind in the UK market -a teleshopping channel from India. We're hoping this will prove a grand success."

In the UK, there have been two attempts at Brit-Asian teleshopping, both of, which proved unsuccessful. Vectone Mall was the first to step foot into the teleshopping foray, followed by Apna Bazaar. The first closed within weeks of launching, whereas the latter had a longer run but eventually was removed from the Sky platform in April last year.

Full video and audio testing can be tuned in by following the steps below:

• Using your Sky Digi remote, go to Services Menu
    • System Setup (4)
    • Add Channels (4)
    • Enter the frequency: 11.307 (V), FEC 2/3, Symbol Rate 27500
    • Find Channels and Press SELECT
    • Highlight "53340" service and press Yellow button.
    • Return to Services Menu
    • Other Channels (6) on STB / (8) on Sky+
    • "53340" should be listed and available

Story reproduced with kind permission of www.bizasia.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what it was called but I have seen another Indian shopping show selling Indian jewelery.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

should be fun to watch!

Post Thanks / Like

oh dear

listen for :-

'your slender collar bone'
    'your shopping friend'
    'goes lovely with your black outfit or your white coloured outfit'

i see green skin coming across the land - and you can only shop with them if you wear black coloured outfits, or possibly off-white outfits.

still - it killed ten minutes LMAO
    Last edited by vegasplayer; 12-08-2008 at 03:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down What a load of rubbish

Having read the write up I extolled the virtues of this "exciting" new channel to a lifelong friend who moved to England from India when she was 7. She was thrilled to think that there would be a TV outlet for Indian products because although she is very westernised she is proud of her heritage and like to buy genuine Indian items whenever she can.

She phoned me this morning to say how upset she was at the total lack of professionalism displayed by the presenters and their demeaning and degrading attitude towards women. As the owner of many amazing pieces of Indian jewellery she was alarmed to see the rubbish they are trying to flog! Intrigued by what she meant I had a look for myself and was appalled. I lost count of the times I heard the words "your lovely slender" neck or fingers. Everything is described as beautiful, lovely, stylish, unique,priceless and it twinkles like stars. Yee Gods its carp! None of it is real apart from the gold (hopefully) and the coloured stones are described as red colour, blue colour, green colour etc. with no attempt being made to liken it to say amethyst or sapphire.

I can see this channel falling foul of the ASA very quickly if they persist in describing items as 9k Diamond Y Gold Ring or American Diamond when in fact it is CZ. Although the price gives it away, I have seen a couple of items today where initially the only mention of CZ was in a written weight description. It was not until well into the sell that it was actually verbally explained. So far all I have seen is tack, pure unadulterated tack, and everything carrys P&P of 5.99!!

If this channel thinks it will give IW and QVC a run for their money they are very sadly mistaken. I'll be generous and give them 6 months max.

Post Thanks / Like

I just found this channel whilst skimming through the channels. I looked at the website, which is very poorly designed (most of the links don't even open). I would guess that, from the product descriptions, they might find themselves in trouble with the ASA.

Example:

"Hi Grow is a revolutionary product which increases height growth hormones in your body and gives a perfect height to your personality without any side effects."

and

"No wrinkle is an ayurvedic face cream that removes wrinkles & gives you a new, attractive & glowing look. "

And if you want to improve your living standards:

"Brisk walker is revolutionary exercise equipment which helps the user to maintain a healthy body and to lead a healthy life with high living standards."

Hmmm ... so I can be tall (I'm 4ft 11, so anything more than that would be an improvement), wrinkle-free and have a high living standard just from buying these products.

Post Thanks / Like

I watched the shopping channel when in India. Rubbish presenters rubbish products. couldn't believe it when I read it was being launched here. Some Indian jewellery is very nice but defo not like ours.

Post Thanks / Like

they also say
    " This is WWS - Just Dial it, thats right, just dial it!"

Middle England...left a bit, no, right...
    Post Thanks / Like

popped over to take a peek this afternoon.

oh dear...i'll be generous & give it 6 weeks, at the very most. truly awful & toe curling to watch.

Middle England...left a bit, no, right...
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG!

i seem to be drawn to 681 like a moth to the flame!

today's speil for a 9.99 faux pearl pendant & earrings -

"beautiful enigmatic pearl designer jewellery...solitaire sized pearl in the middle & is surrounded with diamond like shiny crystals...on a silver coated chain...just look at it on my slender collarbone...here at WWS, just dial it!"

**i must not watch any more** :p