New Presenter

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

This section of the forum is becomng very familiar. Hmm, let me see ............ oh yes, it used to be like this on Rocks & Co. How very odd!
10.gif

Re your other question - No I don't have children but if I did I would encourage them to be open and honest just like mum.

probably a good thing then, if you think you speak openly and honestl. Looking at some of the comment written on this forum i think it comes across as bullying. The comments arent as you said "feedback or criticisim" they are are personel and unkind! If i over heard my child speaking like you do id be mortified at the awfull job of parenting id done.

Niffy when I replied to your post I at least had the deceny of saying 'Hello' and at no point in my post did I criticise you so I see no need for you to criticise me. I am NOT working as a sales girl on TV nor am I doing any other job on TV, I am purely a member of this forum expressing my opinion. To confirm that I speak open and honestly, like Meeshoo I am 99.9% certain that you are either Mrs Norris herself or one of her lackys. Oh don't worry though, we're a bit long in the tooth not to recognise this as it's happened so many times in the past. Funnily it's always the same - new person, first posts, accusing us of bullying then making attacks on us personally. Water and duck's back comes to mind.

Nothing we have said about Mrs Norris is untrue. She DOES have fake tan, she DOES have fake nails, she DOES wear low cut tops, she DID slag off other channels when she was Queen Bee at Rocks & Co (before they got fed up with her), and she DID do the dirty on someone who is well respected and loved on this forum. So, Ms Niffy/Mrs Norris, which of these statements are incorrect?

Niffy has now been banned for the second time in as many days.

I do not agree with many of the comments on this forum but I believe that if you appear on TV they you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Anyone can come on here and have a different point of view, BUT when you get personal to other members that is different, which is why Niffy has gone!

Well, I've missed all this today, which is a pity as I could have had a field day with Niffy's comments, once I'd managed to stop laughing at the spelling, grammatical errors, and complete lack of literacy, that is...
Niffy, were you by any chance responsible for the banner headline on the revamped Gems site, the one that says "YOUR spoilt for choice"? Excellent work if you were since it says everything we need to know about the 'new Gems', lazy, slipshod, poorly managed, and, apparently, staffed by illiterate youngsters on some sort of Government Training Scheme. One would think that at least one of the supposedly well-educated people at Rocks/Gems, (they are, after all, supposedly knee-deep in barristers) would have noticed such a glaring mistake before the new site went live, but I suppose that as long as the money is rolling in, it matters not whether the site looks professional or like something put together by chavs on a day-release scheme.

Many people would be put off from posting on this forum because of the increasingly vitriolic and personal attacks on both presenters and other members. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, and absolutely I agree that if you work in front of the camera than you have to accept criticism. However, speaking for myself, I feel very uncomfortable expressing an opinion here which is against the small majority view, as I find the responses quite unpleasant and demeaning, and lacking in the humour found on other parts of the forum. I appreciate this won't be a popular view but I doubt that I'm the only one who feels like that.
I agree that Victoria Norris overdoes the fake tan and the eyebrows, as far as acrylic nails go I'm sure for lots of presenters they are simply more practical for the job. As far as strappy tops go, I really don't see how they can be compared to what women wear (or don't wear) on an "adult" channel. They certainly don't offend me, each to their own of course. As for what may or may not have gone on behind the scenes in gems tv in former times, unless anyone has an impeccable, impartial source I would suggest they are most unlikely to know. I have no idea how "lovely" or "genuine" any of the presenters are in real life. I may like how they come across on screen but I couldn't know what they are like in their personal dealings. When they go on tv to sell they are doing an acting job, in essence. I suspect VN went back to gems cos they made her a very good offer.
I'm prepared to believe that she did genuinely think some of the gems at rocks tv were better quality than some of the stuff at gems tv, as they certainly looked it at times. But whatever, even if she was trying it on, at least she wasn't suddenly flogging iron fairies and hidden "treasures". I don't see why she should be singled out, they are all as bad as each other in that respect - in my opinion of course. And of course we all have to earn a living.
Personally, in my opinion, I would rather see attractive people presenting jewellery on these channels, it is a luxury good after all and they are essentially selling a fantasy.
I will not bother posting again, I know my views aren't in harmony here with the general consensus and it just isn't worth the bad vibes.

You can certainly express your views Bunnytown and it would be a very boring world if we all agreed.

Whilst I understand what some of us have said about Norris may not be to your liking, you've also criticised presenters in your posts (i.e. your post about the Artscape TSV etc). If you like a presenter then of course negative comments rankle.

I'm assuming when you say that personal attacks on other members isn't acceptable, you are referring to the two posters (who were the same person and have now been banned)? Those people regularly visit the jewellery shopping channel sites and are either employed by, or friends of, or affiliated in some way to those channels. They come on here with the sole purpose of hiding behind anonymity to attack members for speaking their minds. It's very rare that you'll find two "known" or long-standing members on here really having a spat. I think that's testament to the fact that most treat each others with respect and I'm sorry if you disagree.

Just a note on the point about how Norris may have liked gems at one channel and then thought they were nicer at another ...... yes I agree that could be the case if she knew nothing about gems. The presenters, and she's been presenting gems/jewellery for a long time now, have extensive training and believe me, they KNOW what they're selling. Even if she believed (erroneously in my view) that the gemstones from Rocks & Co were superior to those at GemsTV, she should have thought long and hard about expressing those views and publicly rubbishing the jewellery that she had previously presented. That's my point about her integrity. Oh and by the way, Caroline Lyndsey did exactly the same thing as well so I would say the same about her too.

As for her attire - I don't mind strappy tops and I too agree that nice, clean, tidy presenters are a joy to see but I don't want to be presented to by a woman with her boobs hanging out or too much cleavage on show. It's unnecessary and she wears those clothes more often than anybody else. I would say the same if somebody else did it also.

I watch these shopping channels for the entertainment value and I have never bought any jewellery from them and don't intend to in the future. I watch Vicky Burton or Norris as she is now because she makes me laugh and her appearance enhances her personality.
I also find Stacey Ellis and Liz Fuller highly entertaining and watchable and understand that they may not be to the taste of some others watching and buying. He or she who pays the piper calls the tune and I can understand people being deterred from making a purchase if they dislike or are irritated by the presenter aka salesperson. If this was happening to a serious degree the presenter would disappear from the channel but as yet there is no sign of that happening to the 3 I have mentioned :happy:

Many people would be put off from posting on this forum because of the increasingly vitriolic and personal attacks on both presenters and other members. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, and absolutely I agree that if you work in front of the camera than you have to accept criticism. However, speaking for myself, I feel very uncomfortable expressing an opinion here which is against the small majority view, as I find the responses quite unpleasant and demeaning, and lacking in the humour found on other parts of the forum. I appreciate this won't be a popular view but I doubt that I'm the only one who feels like that.
I agree that Victoria Norris overdoes the fake tan and the eyebrows, as far as acrylic nails go I'm sure for lots of presenters they are simply more practical for the job. As far as strappy tops go, I really don't see how they can be compared to what women wear (or don't wear) on an "adult" channel. They certainly don't offend me, each to their own of course. As for what may or may not have gone on behind the scenes in gems tv in former times, unless anyone has an impeccable, impartial source I would suggest they are most unlikely to know. I have no idea how "lovely" or "genuine" any of the presenters are in real life. I may like how they come across on screen but I couldn't know what they are like in their personal dealings. When they go on tv to sell they are doing an acting job, in essence. I suspect VN went back to gems cos they made her a very good offer.
I'm prepared to believe that she did genuinely think some of the gems at rocks tv were better quality than some of the stuff at gems tv, as they certainly looked it at times. But whatever, even if she was trying it on, at least she wasn't suddenly flogging iron fairies and hidden "treasures". I don't see why she should be singled out, they are all as bad as each other in that respect - in my opinion of course. And of course we all have to earn a living.
Personally, in my opinion, I would rather see attractive people presenting jewellery on these channels, it is a luxury good after all and they are essentially selling a fantasy.
I will not bother posting again, I know my views aren't in harmony here with the general consensus and it just isn't worth the bad vibes.

You are, and should, feel completely at ease to state your own opinion as long as it's not slurring other members for theirs. I think if you look at contradictory posts, in the main the only reason folk get angry is because a new (and often dubious) "member" has come in with the sole intent of nipping at the ankles of regular/long-standing members. Straightforward opposing views are accepted for what they are and are welcome. Lively discussion is much more interesting. xxxxxxxxx

The humour in this part of the forum is every bit as hilarious, in fact, more so, than other sections of shoppingtelly.com. The fact that a few people don't like it does not make it any less funny for those of us that do. No doubt people are referring to me when they talk about 'vitriolic' posts, but there is nothing vitriolic in pointing out dubious selling techniques and downright lies. If what I and others say is untrue, why is there a distinct lack of answers from the Bennetts whenever they are asked to comment on or explain their methodology? Why don't they explain the reason it takes up to 30 days to process a refund when it takes about 2-3 to process a customer's payment? Why don't they compare their prices with other shopping channels selling jewellery in the UK instead of printing off nonsensical comparisons with single items sold by American sellers online? Why don't they admit that their genuine falling auctions fall to the price they want, not the price the customer supposedly dictates? Why do they have such poor quality control which allows defective pieces to be sent out to buyers week after week? Why do they allow their presenters to spout porky pies all the time? Why do they mislead the viewers with the idea that they are getting fantastic deals because they are buying during a 'clearance', a clearance that appears to be going on day in and day out until the last syllable of recorded time?
As to posts about inappropriate dress and nails, well, what on earth would you expect when the CEO of a company appears on television with dirty, long, unkempt nails and hands in need of a good wash? That's nothing short of insulting to the potential customer, and I bet there were a good few complaints made about those presentations. For goodness' sake, a person selling jewellery on tv is going to have his/her hands and nails magnified many times by the cameras used to show the intricate detail of the piece in question. And when it comes to the god-awful acrylic nails some of the women sport, far from enhancing the 'aspirational' aspect of jewellery, it simply makes the whole venture look tacky, particularly when the camera goes in for a close-up of an item, and the muck under the acrylics is shown in all its glory.
I give credit where it's due, and I constantly post favourably about Alan Miller who is, quite frankly, the only presenter worth a jot. He looks immaculate, presents calmly and in a relaxed manner, has immense warmth and a very likeable personality. He doesn't patronise, he doesn't condescend, he treats us as mature viewers with knowledge about what we want to buy, and what a refreshing change that makes from the usual nonsense aired on these channels.

Great post Bunnytown!

I feel it's disheartening to express an opposing opinion knowing you'll get no support - which, of course, you won't since you don't hold the majority view (just my opinion!) I disagree with a lot of what's said on this forum but lurk rather than post unless I feel particularly strongly about the thread. Your post encouraged me :)

A lot of very witty comments though and I've learned a lot about gems and jewellery. It's a fun site to spend time.

Am I mistaken but didn't Victoria Burton/Norris marry a producer on Rocks and Co? Isn't that a conflict of interests.In the old days, I used to be an avid Rocks TV fan but when I flick through Rocks TV, Gems TV and disappointingly now on Gem Collector(and that will probably start selling tookaloon soon at a clearance price!) , it is all the same old same old jewellery . And don't get me started of the unacceptable delay on refunds. (good luck to those who may return things back at the end of January and will probably get a refund in March). The presenters with Coloured Rocks with the exception of Matt & Barry..........fry my brains and are very 'economical with the truth' and so take us all for fools . So although I haven't bought from Rocks and Co , I watch them because the jewellery isn't so same old same old and I can watch John Scott & Gerri Lee

First of all, can I just say hi to everyone. I have been viewing this site for a number of years now and only just joined as I wanted to make some of my opinions on this subject be known.

Back in the old Gems TV days, I was lucky enough to be invited up to the studio in Redditch and meet not only Steve Bennett but also Theo Van Dort and a number of the presenting team including Nick Davies, Steve Ashton, and Victoria Norris (Burton). The reason for the visit was to try and find out more about a career in front of the camera unfortunatly at the time being early twenties, it was thought I would be to young to be taken seriously, (as im 30 next year might be worth trying again!!!)

Anyway to stop rambling the reason I wanted to post was because of the negative comments towards one Victoria Norris. As I mentioned above, I was lucky enough to meet Victoria and she was an extremely pleasent and lovely young woman, who couldnt do enough to help me whilst I was there. She was very down to earth, extremely gracious and very talkative, but also very intelligent.

When you go on air in this genre of television you have to be first and foremost a salesman, its no different to when you go to a car showroom and the salesman walks over and tries to force you into purchasing a top of the range model which you dont need and cant really afford, its like going into PC World and having a member of staff hassle you to buy a top of the range PC, its what they do and what they are paid to do. Victoria is no different she is paid to go out there and "sell" the jewellery that the Bennetts give her to sell. Does she have her own style of course she does and there is nothing wrong with that. If all presenters on Rocks / Gems came out and presented in the same style then we all would be complaining saying that the show is boring.

So what if Victoria made some comments concerning Gems products when she left, its business, its what you do in this world (whether you like it or not). She had to put her own product (that being Rocks and Co) ahead of any personal feelings she may have had towards Gems TV.

Now bear in mind that this would not impact Steve because of the fact that he left the company before Vicky did. What I can confirm is that Steve and Theo both said to me back in that meeting, that when Vicky came on air the sales did spike up, and thats because shes popular with the viewers.

We all make mistakes in this world, we all do things in our careers which we may not be proud of, but we dont go on a public forum and attack someone for doing it, we really should give the girl a break.

It takes a lot of guts to go back to a company which you previously worked for, let alone go back to one which you have criticised. But if Steve Bennett and the rest of the Gems TV can welcome her back then surely we can do to.

I do wonder if I will be flamed for this post and this may be my last post here on the forum, so thank you for reading and I welcome any comments.

So was the story of Victoria and her hubby going to America put out there as a smoke screen to trick her ex employees?

PJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back