Win 24 - What a con!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

This is a bit disgraceful this scheme. I thought Ideal World would be above this sort of thing. :devil::devil:

Why would you think that? IW is exactly the type of company which would have no qualms about promoting gambling. When it comes to making money, it's morals are non existent. I agree totally with the OP; steer clear of this ruse. A scheme such as this has no winners; consider how much you are paying i and the value of what - if anything - you win. There are certain people out there who. psychologically, feel a form of satisfaction and an adrenalin rush when they get 'something for nothing' (which they are not, of course!). Gambling is an addiction and, rather than pop down to the local betting office, just sit back and you are entered into all of the competitions automatically. Like the pyramid schemes, what a scam. To be honest, anyone who is duped by this spiel being spouted on IW deserves to be ripped off. Incidentally, because the value and opportunities on offer by subscribing to Win24, I'm sure all of the IW presenters are members?

The thing is, these schemes are aimed at the vulnerable who probably (unfortunately) do not have the nouse to realise it's a scam. Look at the couple they use in the ad for example. It's disgusting, because IW are knowingly aiming at those who would not know any better. Most of us are lucky, can string a sentence together and have the benefit of a decent education etc, but there's a hell of a lot in society who haven't had that, and that's who IW are trying to CONvince.

The people in the adverts are blinking actors anyway...Good point made earlier though about IW presenters...you don't hear them telling us about their membership which speaks volumes when you consider that they own everything else they sell!

The thing is, these schemes are aimed at the vulnerable who probably (unfortunately) do not have the nouse to realise it's a scam. Look at the couple they use in the ad for example. It's disgusting, because IW are knowingly aiming at those who would not know any better. Most of us are lucky, can string a sentence together and have the benefit of a decent education etc, but there's a hell of a lot in society who haven't had that, and that's who IW are trying to CONvince.

It's not a scam at all - it does exactly what it says it does. You pay a subscription and they enter you in lots of competitions. Nothing more to it than that. No more of a scam than the National Lottery is - you pay your money and most of the time get nothing back - like any gamble/competition.

I can understand people thinking it's daft to subscribe to it or not liking the fact that it can spoil other peoples chances of winning in a competition but saying it's a con it totally wrong and very, very mis-leading.

So what if they are actors - it's the fact that they are portraying vulnerable people and targeting them deliberately.

Yes, but every company that sells something targets the potential customers that they think are going to be most vulnerable to their particular products. They don't target the people they think are least likely to buy, their ads will portray the kind of person they think is most likely to buy in the hope that the viewers will empathise. It may not be moral, but that's sales - and is probably the main reason I'd be useless at it. But let's face it, as I said in a similar thread on QVC recently, there are a lot of things out here that are dangerous or foolish, and it's up to each of us to exercise judgement as to what we indulge in. In the same way that we can't stop other people from drinking or gambling to excess, or from taking drugs, we can't protect them from overspending either. I'm sure that if IW wasn't there the weak and gullible would spend money they can't afford on impulse buys online or in the shops. If that's the kind of personality they have, then they will find an outlet for it, and they have to take responsibility for it. You can't blame the brewery that makes the strongest beer for the fact that some people can't control their drinking.

You can't blame the brewery that makes the strongest beer for the fact that some people can't control their drinking.

Oh come on, you can't compare an addiction with something you're born with either.
When I say vulnerable, I'm referring to people who don't necessarily have the brains and judgement to be able to see what this scheme is.
If i'm not mistaken, aren't alcohol and tobacco ads banned from TV now? Gambling should be the same as it targets not only the vulnerable, but those with addictive personalities and mental health disorders too.l

It's not a scam at all - ....but saying it's a con it totally wrong and very, very mis-leading.

It is not, for the reasons I've already stated. It is taking advantage of the people who are running the competitions who are aiming the prizes at people who visit their sites, not people who don't. I'm glad competition runners are wising up to what's going on. If someone won the millionth customer prize in a store near you, and it transpired they'd never set foot in the store, would you think that was acceptable? Of course not - and it amounts to the same thing.

The advert very clearly makes out that you have a very good chance of winning large prizes . If I paid into something for over a year and won absolutely nothing, I would feel very conned. I cant find one review of this company which says that someone is pleased with their membership. Their claim that you can actually win anything is as misleading as you can get.

Yes, Lottie. This is the part of the scheme I am concerned with, not the gambling aspect.

This thread has stirred up quite a lot of tension hasn't it? What is the problem with someone referring to Win 24 as a con? Why are people so ready to defend it? Yes, I understand that in technical terms it is not a con, it's legal, and possibly no worse than buying a national lottery ticket, though one could argue that the lottery funds a lot of worthwhile causes, and you can buy a ticket as an when, you don't have to pay for a subscription. What the OP was merely commenting upon was how not very nice this scheme is..so he called it a "con"..so what! Yes, companies target their audiences, but most companies are offering something "tangible" in return for your money, not a vain hope of winning a prize dressed up to look like a major chance of winning the holiday of a lifetime, a car, a state of the art item of electronics!

I would also like to say that I also don't like that sentiment that's being bandied around on here suggesting that if you're stupid enough to buy into this sort of thing, then you deserve to be ripped off....NO THEY DON'T!, sadly there are a lot of vulnerable people out there who are likely to be watching IW and decide to join up, and like I said before IW like to think they're "family". IMO promoting this "product" goes right against the grain.

Yes, it's a form of gambling, and it's easy to compare it with having a bet on the races for example, but hey, a trip to the betting shop could be a social event for some folks, not only that, you can study the form and get to know about the ins and outs of the sport. Where's the pleasure in handing over £12 a month (or whatever it is) just for someone to tell you that they've entered you into loads of competitions (and can they prove that they have btw, or do we just have to take their word for it?) There are people who enter competitions as a hobby, but again I'd say that was quite a healthy pastime.

Ben mate, Good on you for starting this thread...Win 24 may not be a "con" as such, but it's crap on so many levels ...and I do think that this sort of service should be discouraged because whatever you want to call it....it is a rip off. Remember all those "quiz" channels? where'd you pay a fortune for the call, the question would be easy enough for a five year old to answer, yet it took 45 minutes for somebody to win it? They seem to have gone now and that's a good thing..cause again it was pitched at vulnerable people.

I for one hope this shoddy outfit disappears a.s.a.p, and enough warning is given about this sort of thing will make it unprofitable for a company to start up a similar one!

It's not a scam at all - it does exactly what it says it does. You pay a subscription and they enter you in lots of competitions. Nothing more to it than that. No more of a scam than the National Lottery is - you pay your money and most of the time get nothing back - like any gamble/competition.

To be honest, I don't have any objections to gambling. If you want to do it, fine. But you say it is like the National Lottery, but the chances of getting your money back and winning, are around 50-1 while this months top ten winners includes a Wii (worth less than the 2 years subscription), and due to the thousands of customers they have, the chances are near impossible.

Win24 have made atleast £48,000,000 (on the figures on page 1) and £3,000,000 worth of prizes. So less than 10% of takings are given as prizes.
Lottery....50% go to the winners and a large amount go to 'good causes' like the olympics, and hospitals.

So if you don't win in the lottery, atleast you can say, you have helped something like the olympics or giving to charity as it were....but Win24, where do the profits go? Straight to the WIn24 pocket!

No where alike I say!!

Last edited:
Yes, but every company that sells something targets the potential customers that they think are going to be most vulnerable to their particular products.

Something I don't agree with again. - Not everything you buy are 'vulnerable' to. I bought something from a shopping channel the other day...that doesn't mean I'm vulnerable, as I like the product.

'Vulnerable' and 'target audience' are two different things. You are vulnerable if you sign up to Win24, as they didn't give you the stats of winning Etc. and are getting money from people for something which is very unlikely to see a return. On the other hand, if you bought an item from a shopping channel, and used it daily, it is a good purchase (unlike win24) and even after hearing the truth about it, you are happy...it doesn't make you 'vulnrable'

No one has managed to come up with a reason for saying Win24 is a con - it does what it says it does. You pay your money and they enter you in competitions.

You can not like it and think it's a waste of money but a con it isn't. For a start if it was a con it would be illegal which this isn't.

To be honest, I don't have any objections to gambling. If you want to do it, fine. But you say it is like the National Lottery, but the chances of getting your money back and winning, are around 50-1 while this months top ten winners includes a Wii (worth less than the 2 years subscription), and due to the thousands of customers they have, the chances are near impossible.

It is true that with Win24 you are unlikely to get your money back - but that is just as true with the National Lottery or any other form of gambling. If you spend £12 a year on the lottery you will most as likely havelost a lot more than you have won, just like Win24, or bingo, or poker etc. It's all a gamble.

Win24 have made atleast £48,000,000 (on the figures on page 1) and £3,000,000 worth of prizes. So less than 10% of takings are given as prizes.
Lottery....50% go to the winners and a large amount go to 'good causes' like the olympics, and hospitals.

So if you don't win in the lottery, atleast you can say, you have helped something like the olympics or giving to charity as it were....but Win24, where do the profits go? Straight to the WIn24 pocket!

Just like most other gambling like Poker or Bingo - most commercial ventures make money for themselves. Even the lottery only gives money to charities as it's the rules that they have to work by.
And as an aside I'm not keen on the money going to good causes like the 'Olympics' whcih should pay for itself and 'Hospitals' which should never need money from outside but fundes properly in the first place. The money from the lottery should go on stuff that the government would not normally fund.

No where alike I say!!

So Win24 takes your money, you have a chance to win, not lilkley and they make money out of you...sounds like any other gambling to me.

It is not, for the reasons I've already stated. It is taking advantage of the people who are running the competitions who are aiming the prizes at people who visit their sites, not people who don't. I'm glad competition runners are wising up to what's going on. If someone won the millionth customer prize in a store near you, and it transpired they'd never set foot in the store, would you think that was acceptable? Of course not - and it amounts to the same thing.

That does not make it a con or scam - although I agree that it is good that companies are stopping sites like these post enties in blocks as it affects the chances of other people winning who have come to the website to try and win. But as it's legal it's not a con.

The advert very clearly makes out that you have a very good chance of winning large prizes . If I paid into something for over a year and won absolutely nothing, I would feel very conned. I cant find one review of this company which says that someone is pleased with their membership. Their claim that you can actually win anything is as misleading as you can get.

I have seen the adverts a few times and don't remember hearing them claim there is a good chance of winning a large prize. If they do claim that then why not report it to the ASA?

Latest posts

Back