Win 24 - What a con!! - Page 2        

       




Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 136
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Lowestoft
    Posts
    276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Why get so tetchy Ben when someone wants to have a debate/conversation/alternate view? You clearly used 'con' in the title - to draw people into reading your post. Ironic given your subject matter.

    Everyone on here seams to agree that is clearly a poor offer and amounts to gambling. It panders to the dense and gullible in society like a lot of things nowadays. Be glad you are bright enough to avoid and move on.



         

    I was going to say - Watch the "winner(s)" scroll across the screen too - there aren't that many of them and one won a BP Rucksack - altogether now! oooooooooooooo!

  2.      
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    1,289
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swankypants View Post
    Why get so tetchy Ben when someone wants to have a debate/conversation/alternate view? You clearly used 'con' in the title - to draw people into reading your post. Ironic given your subject matter.

    Everyone on here seams to agree that is clearly a poor offer and amounts to gambling. It panders to the dense and gullible in society like a lot of things nowadays. Be glad you are bright enough to avoid and move on.

    I was going to say - Watch the "winner(s)" scroll across the screen too - there aren't that many of them and one won a BP Rucksack - altogether now! oooooooooooooo!
    I was not getting tetchy at all, but when I write something and somebody disagrees or have to pick up on little things, and even say things which are meant to be against me (eventhough they end up having the same opinion) that does annoy me.

    If you look at any of my past tread starters I don't think I have ever had to say that somebody has annoyed me or anything, as I've never had somebody who picks up on the tiniest of things!

    ''Everyone on here seams to agree that is clearly a poor offer and amounts to gambling'' If they agreed to it, I don't understand why they had to write 2 paragraphs about me writing 'con' in the title....if they hated 'win 24', I wouldn't have thought they would have even brought it up. - 'Con' was used to get people to click on the button, and I NEVER used the word on my thread post, so I think it is irrelivant. BUT I still think it is a 'con' due to people being targeted thinking that there is a high chance of being a winner, when in fact it is near impossible.

    ''Be glad you are bright enough to avoid and move on.'' I really don't understand this post....I wanted to point this rediculous scheme out to the lovely people on this site (isn't this what this site is designed for?!) And I think you will find, I didn't really reply until the person commented with their essay. It had points against me, and I wasn't not going to reply if thats what you think!

  4. #13
    StumpyBloke (old account) Guest

    Default

    Fight!! Fight!! Fight!!

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    1,289
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyBloke View Post
    Fight!! Fight!! Fight!!
    Yeah!! :D

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,320
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    lol Ben :muscle:

  7. #16
    Alley Cat Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    Erm.....I'm not sure why you are having a go at me
    Disagreeing with what you said on a discussion forum, where you've started the discussion, is "Having a go" at you? The purpose of a forum is to voice one's opinions, whether or not we all share those opinions. If you don't like the heat etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    for everything I said. :/
    I'm picky, it's a fault. I also come to forums like this one because I enjoy a good discussion/debate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    I NEVER used the word 'con' in my whole thread post apart from the title.
    Where you used it is irrelevant - you used it, and I have the right to say that I think your use of it is incorrect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    I had to make the title catchy for people to view it.
    You should just have put "Naked Women!" - it would have been more catchy and equally accurate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    What would you have called it?
    Libellous. A con (confidence trick) is a deliberate attempt to defraud, which is illegal. Win 24 is not, legally, defrauding anybody - what they're doing may be unethical, it may be immoral, but it isn't illegal. I'd recommend you're more careful with your choice of words in future before you find yourself being sued.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    In my eyes, I still think it is a con due to people signing up being told about all the big winners and 170,000 winners...not mentioning the 5 vouchers (i persume they have), which is covering the fact, and making more people sign up.
    Do you seriously think that all these people are signing up for this without knowing what it is? You think they're all so stupid that they buy a product without looking at it first? That would be like buying a TV because the presenter told you it was great without actually seeing the TV or learning its features first. Who does that?

    And, by the way, nobody is making anybody sign up. These are adults with free will who are choosing to sign up - if they don't bother to find out what it is that they're signing up for then they've only themselves to blame.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    Actually, were you say ''I would point out that it doesn't say that all the winners are different people'' Yes it does...it says ''170,000 winners'', if you won 2 things, you wouldn't be called 2 winners would you? You would just be called a winner!!
    You've never worked in advertising or PR have you? Win 24's website is a copywriter's dream - 50 people win competition 1..... 50 people win competition 2...... and hey presto we have 100 winners. The fact that some of them have won both competitions is immaterial.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    please read the posts and get it right before moaning at people....
    You really need to learn the difference between discussing and moaning.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    (I'm sure you work for Win24!!)
    I almost wish I did - I'd probably be earning a lot more than I do now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    ''All forms of gambling make a very healthy profit'' Correct....but they don't go on Ideal World do they?! I wouldn't care less if it wasn't on IW, but the fact they air it in the way they do isn't fair.
    Isn't fair? Life's not fair, the world's not fair - this isn't a kiddie's playground, this is commercial television. Ideal World is a business in it for profit. And I have to tell you that virtually no business in the entire world is "fair" - business is cut-throat, very often immoral, almost always in some way unethical, and never, ever, fair. Shopping TV is very closely monitored by the regulators, and if IW and Win 24 were doing anything that in any way stepped outside what's considered to be acceptable, they'd very quickly be stopped. If you think that fairness should be monitored you'd better suggest that to the regulators.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    ''just as the person who wins a thousand pounds on the roulette table doesn't care that the casino is making a million'' You are going off track here....but atleast roulette is 50/50....
    It is? You'd better warn all the casino owners of that, because they think that the odds are much more in their favour.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    I'm trying to make a point that the ''top 10 winners'' for last month includes a Wii (worth less than 200) so less than 10 people have got their money back!! So You can put 250 on roulette and have a 50/50 chance of winning, or do the same with Win24, and have less than 1% chance.... These are 2 completely different things!
    People sign up to Win 24 voluntarily, of their own free will. They choose Win 24 when they could have played at the casino if they'd wanted to. Rightly or wrongly they prefer the odds at Win 24, which they're perfectly entitled to do. Nobody with a brain could join Win 24 thinking they'd got more than an outside chance of winning anything worthwhile, but if they want to that's up to them. More money than sense in my opinion.

    The fact that we keep coming back to, however, is that what IW/Win 24 are doing is completely legal, and consenting adults are choosing to be part of it. If you don't like Win 24 then don't sign up. If you don't like IW for being part of it then don't watch IW. Maybe send them an email expressing your outrage.

    And you need to stop putting things in the titles of your threads if you don't want other people to take issue with them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    People like you do annoy me
    I can live with that.
    Last edited by Alley Cat; 25-07-2011 at 06:03 AM.

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    brighton
    Posts
    2,380
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well Ben, for all it's worth, you can use the word "con" to describe this shoddy outfit as much as you like as far as I'm concerned....even if it is legal, above board, whatever! Like other posters I just don't think it's something one would expect a channel like IW to be promoting, especially since they pride themselves on their "family and friends" image so much.....It's like encouraging your Nan to phone the number on the back of that scratchcard that fell out of her Take a Break, you know the one that promised her she'd won a prize worth at least 500!

    Of course the VT's only going to show people (well actors) who have won major prizes, but sadly ,despite a lot of us realising that quite a few people have come away with a 5 voucher to use on your next visit to a Harvester restuarant, or nothing even, they'll be enough who don't, or mistake IW's endorsement as a mark of quality and trust.......and remember that the more people who join up, the less your chance is of winning anything! Legal? =Yes, but a rip off? even more so.....I agree, people sign of their own free will, but the ad is clearly pitched at shopping channel viewers as many will be lonely, vulnerable people who like to spend their money! If IW want to convince us they're "family" then they need to stop "selling their Grandmother down the river!"
    Last edited by merryone; 25-07-2011 at 06:47 AM.

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Lowestoft
    Posts
    276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The fact that you answer every reply with a five page essay Ben shows it winds you up far more than it should! Chill.

  10. #19
    StumpyBloke (old account) Guest

    Default

    As far as I am concerned anyone who does sign up to this rip-off is quite stupid plain and simple! It certainly isnt a con Ben, as others have said, so chill dude, BUT it is a rip-off and more fool anyone stupid enough to buy in to it, unless of course they are fully aware that the chances of them winning anything of value is virtually non-existant - and then more power to them!

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    1,289
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alley Cat View Post
    Disagreeing with what you said on a discussion forum, where you've started the discussion, is "Having a go" at you? The purpose of a forum is to voice one's opinions, whether or not we all share those opinions. If you don't like the heat etc.



    I'm picky, it's a fault. I also come to forums like this one because I enjoy a good discussion/debate.



    Where you used it is irrelevant - you used it, and I have the right to say that I think your use of it is incorrect.



    You should just have put "Naked Women!" - it would have been more catchy and equally accurate.



    Libellous. A con (confidence trick) is a deliberate attempt to defraud, which is illegal. Win 24 is not, legally, defrauding anybody - what they're doing may be unethical, it may be immoral, but it isn't illegal. I'd recommend you're more careful with your choice of words in future before you find yourself being sued.



    Do you seriously think that all these people are signing up for this without knowing what it is? You think they're all so stupid that they buy a product without looking at it first? That would be like buying a TV because the presenter told you it was great without actually seeing the TV or learning its features first. Who does that?

    And, by the way, nobody is making anybody sign up. These are adults with free will who are choosing to sign up - if they don't bother to find out what it is that they're signing up for then they've only themselves to blame.



    You've never worked in advertising or PR have you? Win 24's website is a copywriter's dream - 50 people win competition 1..... 50 people win competition 2...... and hey presto we have 100 winners. The fact that some of them have won both competitions is immaterial.



    You really need to learn the difference between discussing and moaning.



    I almost wish I did - I'd probably be earning a lot more than I do now.



    Isn't fair? Life's not fair, the world's not fair - this isn't a kiddie's playground, this is commercial television. Ideal World is a business in it for profit. And I have to tell you that virtually no business in the entire world is "fair" - business is cut-throat, very often immoral, almost always in some way unethical, and never, ever, fair. Shopping TV is very closely monitored by the regulators, and if IW and Win 24 were doing anything that in any way stepped outside what's considered to be acceptable, they'd very quickly be stopped. If you think that fairness should be monitored you'd better suggest that to the regulators.



    It is? You'd better warn all the casino owners of that, because they think that the odds are much more in their favour.



    People sign up to Win 24 voluntarily, of their own free will. They choose Win 24 when they could have played at the casino if they'd wanted to. Rightly or wrongly they prefer the odds at Win 24, which they're perfectly entitled to do. Nobody with a brain could join Win 24 thinking they'd got more than an outside chance of winning anything worthwhile, but if they want to that's up to them. More money than sense in my opinion.

    The fact that we keep coming back to, however, is that what IW/Win 24 are doing is completely legal, and consenting adults are choosing to be part of it. If you don't like Win 24 then don't sign up. If you don't like IW for being part of it then don't watch IW. Maybe send them an email expressing your outrage.

    And you need to stop putting things in the titles of your threads if you don't want other people to take issue with them.



    I can live with that.

    I'm not going to carry on with this due to me keeping with my opinion.

    If I called it "Naked Women!" , I don't see how it would be more accurate!

    Also, On roulette, if you place 250 on red or black, it is near enough 50% chance of doubleing your money!

    ''People sign up to Win 24 voluntarily, of their own free will. They choose Win 24 when they could have played at the casino if they'd wanted to.'' I agree with this, but I'm not sure if you know, but not all people who watch IW are 'normal', lets put it this way. And if a presenter is saying about winning cash, cars Etc. they wont think and look indepth, they will just sign up! On the other hand, if they got told the chances of winning, I doubt they would.

    I have nothing wrong with the company, (eventhough they are taking advantage of promotional competitions), the thing I have a problem with is that IW know there are vunerable people out there who will just sign up, so they allow it to be on their channel. Now that is not on! - If they could get out of it FINE...but if they sign up, they are in a 24 month contract, which they might not beable to keep up!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •