How do I make this?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Meeshoo

Registered Shopper
Ok - never one to shy away from a challenge, I've decided to have a go at making a necklace! I recently broke my favourite haematite necklace so need something black. Have decided that I'll use either Obsidian or Haematite and mix with silver (pearls or something) and want to make the twisty necklace shown below.

So, a couple of questions to you lovely beaders:-

1. Where can I find instructions on how to make this particular design?
2. What wire/thread should I use?
3. What size should the larger beads be? 15x10mm?
4. What size should the smaller beads be? 8mm?
5. Do I need anything other than wire/thread/beads/clasp?

Ta in advance.

Just noticed the photo is tiny! So here's the link to the kit on Jewellery Maker - it's the third picture along https://www.jewellerymaker.com/searchKits.aspx#Product=YJGP13

Attachments

• Inspiration necklace.jpg
    Inspiration necklace.jpg
    979 bytes · Views: 427
Nearly missed this one Meesh. I don't know where you'll find that exact necklace, but this is a great site for ideas and instructions (there may be something similar here). http://www.beadalon.com/designworkshop.asp

For thread I'd recommend nothing less than an 0.4 ish tigertail (I think JM just call it beading thread which is a trifle confusing as it is a fine wire). Bead sizes are really a matter of personal choice but what you have stated should give a delicate and not too hefty result. If you bought more than you actually needed of crimps, fasteners, etc. you're unlikely to need anything else for that type of design, but any of the above instructions give you details of what is required.

Buon inspirationes. xxxxxxxxx

Wow Arge - thanks very much for the link to that website. It's got some great tutorials!

I think I've figured out the necklace design and you have to use 4 (I think) strands of beading wire - I'll let you know if I manage to do it - if I don't post for a few weeks, my hands will be knotted together and I won't be able to move!

Thanks for the tips also. It gets very confusing about what you need! I think I've got most of the bases covered but you can bet when it comes to it, I'll be missing a key part!

I also had a Haematite necklace that broke but went for the (very) simple option :blush: and made a stretchy bracelet out of some of the beads. And its probably the most frequently worn piece that I have! So good luck Meesh with your new project.....I've heard of tongue tied bit not finger tied! :happy:

Btw did you get a copy of the free DVD that they mention for new customers? Look forward to seeing pics when its finished.

Oh Sacha, no I didn't get a DVD! I wonder why not. It was my first order with JM so I suppose I should have?

I was desperately upset when I broke my haematite necklace as I dropped it and two links actually shattered. I was surprised because I hadn't realised it would do that (should have known I guess!).

I'll try not to get too finger tied but ............. no promises! :cheeky:

Oh Sacha, no I didn't get a DVD! I wonder why not. It was my first order with JM so I suppose I should have?

I was desperately upset when I broke my haematite necklace as I dropped it and two links actually shattered. I was surprised because I hadn't realised it would do that (should have known I guess!).

I'll try not to get too finger tied but ............. no promises! :cheeky:

Hi again, I saw a few moments of JM this morning and Lucy did say that new customers get a free DVD and booklet. I never got one for my first order either! However they do send out a large JM seasonal catalogue which is worth a perusal. :smirk:

Meesh and Sacha, If you call or e-mail CS they'll send you these no problem. They're quite basic, but very useful for newbies so worth chasing. I suspect that if you're an existing Gems customer, you don't show up as new to JM's system. xxxxxx

Last edited:
Do you just get a really basic DVD or do you get a good one Arge? I guess I'm interested in the basic beading one - not really any of the others - so can I request which one????

Sorry Meesh, missed this.

There's only one that comes free. It's useful for showing how to use findings. If you want actual beading techniques, then the "Beading Basics" (£4.95) would probably suit. DVD's are useful for the ability to stop, start, rewind, etc. so you can make as you watch. xxxxxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back