Help identifying gemstone

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

opalfruit

Registered Shopper
Hi

Am having difficulty identifying which gemstones are which on a strand. It is JVJG90 Garnet, Sapphire and Zircon. I have asked the help team who keep replying the garnet is red/pink, sapphire is blue/grey and zircon is white but my strand doesn't have any blue and has yellow, orange, green. Should I presume that those colours are sapphire? Unlike JM I want to be able to confidently tell my customers what they are buying!

Any help appreciated X

Hi

Am having difficulty identifying which gemstones are which on a strand. It is JVJG90 Garnet, Sapphire and Zircon. I have asked the help team who keep replying the garnet is red/pink, sapphire is blue/grey and zircon is white but my strand doesn't have any blue and has yellow, orange, green. Should I presume that those colours are sapphire? Unlike JM I want to be able to confidently tell my customers what they are buying!

Any help appreciated X

If you know definitely that the stones are garnet, sapphire and zircon and the help team have identified the garnet and zircon, then by process of illimination, what you are left with must be sapphire, which comes in just about every colour of the rainbow and then some!!!!! Gone are the days when we can say someones eyes are like sapphires!!!!

Ok - can I just be clear that the only colour stones in the strand are orange, yellow and green? The stones are supposed to be garnet, zircon and sapphire?

Well, if so, Zircon isn't often seen in those colours BUT a very pale yellow or darker orangey red would be possible. Green zircon isn't seen often but if these are tiny stones the green ones could be Zircon.
Garnets can be orange or green more often than a real yellow yellow (iykwim).
Sapphire (treated and untreated) come in all those colours. Orange/yellow/green sapphires are more often than not treated.

The only way to be 100% sure is to find out the refractive index of the stones - that would give a much firmer ID.

EDIT: Sorry, just seen the item number. In the photo there are clearly darker pink gems (assume those are Garnet), then pale yellow/almost colourless (might be Zircon), some brightish orange stones (Garnets or Sapphires) and then a sort of peachy colour (no idea what these are!)!!!!! Very confusing! However, from your description yours doesnt have any pinky/reds?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back