Ofcom launches investigation into the Sit-up channels

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

That is true but a lot of people are put off by having to pay £10 in extra charges, If it was say £3 or £4 then they would be more likely to buy so sales could increase, that might outweigh the money they would lose from return refunds - They should trial it - they have nothing to lose now

Anything is probably worth a go now Mega, they are in deep trouble.

I wonder if they'll have any mega bargains today to try and paper over the cracks?

...it's just another in a long line of unusual practices

I would use stronger words such as: unethical, shoddy, shady, cowboy, contemptible.... because these practices would be considered just as that in any other retail, commercial or trade sector.

...it's just another in a long line of unusual practices

I would use stronger words such as: unethical, shoddy, shady, cowboy, contemptible.... because these practices would be considered just as that in any other retail, commercial or trade sector.

You might well say that Mr Greg, I couldn't possibly comment :grin:

I do hope Our Bet is keeping Dirty Peter company right now, maybe she can help him improve his pitches? You need 'genuine' friends at a time like this.

Last edited:
I'm giving a HUGE thank you to all the posters on here who have made complaints week in week out to ASA and felt not much had been done about it. Especially to young Benny who was banned from making complaints for a while. Thank yu very much everyone

That is true but a lot of people are put off by having to pay £10 in extra charges, If it was say £3 or £4 then they would be more likely to buy so sales could increase, that might outweigh the money they would lose from return refunds - They should trial it - they have nothing to lose now

They did trial it over several weekends with free P&P. Its all well and good saying £3 P&P and then items being £6 (if usually £1) but it wont be long before buyers expect the £6 to go down even further :)

I'm giving a HUGE thank you to all the posters on here who have made complaints week in week out to ASA and felt not much had been done about it. Especially to young Benny who was banned from making complaints for a while. Thank yu very much everyone

Lets just say there is more on the way ;) - The only thing I can say in bids defence over these current ASA rulings is that they were from quite a while ago (as the ASA take a while to process i.e. read, see the misleading footage, make a draft, send it to the ASA council then it gets published.) However, I presume the ASA are keeping a close eye and are looking for misleading articles themselves now and logging them :)

What used to get me as much as the exaggeration and lies eg made up heritage for watch brands, ridiculous start prices, the implication something was gold when it wasn't was the ad libbing by some of the presenters. Sorry, but I'd expect it from the likes of Mason and Dirty Peter, but they were all giving it a go. The joint most annoying things I ever heard were said by Andrea, who told us that if we purchased 5 pair of Tommy and Kate socks, that had dropped down to a pound that they were practically paying us to shop with them!!!!!! For £46.48, I'd expect to get a lot more than 5 pairs of socks made by a dubious company!......She said it like she meant it!...and Mark Stewart, telling us that 5 sets of gift wrap would cost no more than 5 pence, now where can you get anything for 5 pence?! Of course what he meant to say was £41.53 but it came out wrong!

I almost forgot about the misselling and scaremongering, and the depths they'd plumb in order to make a sale. The frumpster tried to have us a believe that one of the fleece throws for bed or sofa would be ideal for a someone in a wheelchair when they were going out..citing how her brother is a wheelchair user and it would be ideal for him.....I'm sure he'd thank her for a hideous leopard print acrylic throw that would get caught up in the wheels of the chair and cause a flaming accident cause it's designed to cover a three seater settee!!!

Lets just say there is more on the way ;) - The only thing I can say in bids defence over these current ASA rulings is that they were from quite a while ago (as the ASA take a while to process i.e. read, see the misleading footage, make a draft, send it to the ASA council then it gets published.) However, I presume the ASA are keeping a close eye and are looking for misleading articles themselves now and logging them :)

You're dead right there Benny.

I used to remember Steve Macdonald saying all of the time "We can't say or do anything wrong as the ASA can take us off air..." I haven't heard him say that for a while... :L

I used to remember Steve Macdonald saying all of the time "We can't say or do anything wrong as the ASA can take us off air..." I haven't heard him say that for a while... :L

There's someone else that constantly says 'I tell it how it is' and 'i'd never do you wrong'.

Answers on a postcard please.

I am glad this is happening.

I can't make my mind up on one particular issue though, some presenters such as Andy will happily stick to the truth and not embellish the truth so that points to Bid management allowing presenters free reign over how the presenters choose to sell their items... however other Presenters who are complained about a lot to the ASA who have trouble telling the truth keep getting caught out and for one reason or another simply don't adhere to the ASA rulings. That asks a serious question, why do the miss-selling presenters not adhere to the rules? are they on commission? If they have nothing to gain personally or an no incentive to not be truthful... why don't they just clean there act up & be honest? there simply must be an underlying reason why some presenters don't stick to rules/guidelines.

"We have also implemented a process whereby all new relevant full-time staff and freelancers have to undergo a strict regulatory induction and all staff have been warned that failure to keep to the standards expected of them will result in warnings and possible disciplinary consequences."

OK so Pervy Peter has to go, end of.

Last edited:
Just catching up with this news. It perhaps explains Andy's tweet this morning.

I've just flicked between Bid and PD and it's really strange. There's definitely a tension in the presenters and Andrea just read out the label from inside a garment of clothing 'to make sure I get it right'
I think they're a bit worried!

There's someone else that constantly says 'I tell it how it is' and 'i'd never do you wrong'.

Answers on a postcard please.

You forgot his other staple phrase of 'I wouldn't lie to you viewers'. Yeah, right Spiv!

I've just flicked between Bid and PD and it's really strange. There's definitely a tension in the presenters and Andrea just read out the label from inside a garment of clothing 'to make sure I get it right'
I think they're a bit worried!

Why can't they "just do it" Check the label - good thinking, but adding "to make sure I get it right" just sounds sarky,and certainly doesn't sound like somebody who's eager to make amends!

I enjoy watching Bid/PD for the laughs so in a selfish way I wouldn't want them to close, but if that's what happens then nobody can truly say it's not deserved. 27 upheld ASA complaints is a shocking number, but not shocking enough to make the folks at Sit-up change their ways. This ofcom investigation is long overdue.

Latest posts

Back