"The shopping channel bubble!"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.

merryone

Registered Shopper
Since my very useful "general ridiculousness" thread was closed due to some of the unpleasantries exchanged by some us - I thought I'd restart it (under a different name), I'm pretty sure, well hope the mods don't mind this as the reason it was closed is because it went too far off course..but anyway, the title comes from a ludicrous thing I heard Mark Evers come out with. He was selling a set of Lierac gent's toiletries, it's gone to such a low price (a tenner, not that low, considering, it's not a famous brand in this country) because of the "shopping channel bubble". According to Mark..there are people who like to buy shopping channel products 'cause they're niche, and those who won't touch anything from a shopping channel 'cause of preconceived ideas they have..yes, this could be true..but I've not heard this phenomenon described as a "Shopping channel bubble" before, and you certainly can't blame it for certain items not selling very well.

I would say the reason that Lierac hasn't taken off in the way they hoped it would, is that nobody's heard of it, it might well be an exclusive brand in France, but if it was that good it would surely be a household name like Givechy, Gatineau, Yves saint Laurent...I could go on! And he can't blame the people who don't buy from shopping channels because they won't be tuned in, so they won't even know they're selling it.

And back to the shopping channel bubble - this is one of the things I love about shopping channels, not only is the stuff unusual and sometimes niche...just listening to some of the rubbish the presenters come out with (don't get me wrong, they do a great job most of the time, I couldn't do it!) is just so damned entertaining!

So let's try and keep this thread to the ludicrous and the funny without it getting personal..although I acknowledge the last one wasn't really anyone's fault, it got a bit out of hand and Sazza did the right thing in closing it.

My sister is a big fan of Lierac products and says Bids pricing of them is great.

And if you want ridiculous please tune into Cazza and (Not Dirty) Peter right now, there have been some seriously shocked faces and Caz is looking resplendent in her very short sleeved, purple outfit.

Delicious.

Peter is absolutely excelling himself with a sale of a 'Panache' gift set. When the price dropped to £7.99 he looked utterly bewildered, only to say 'Oh no, no, no, no, no, NO'. Then, following a long and silent pause he said, in a very sombre tone 'That's heartbreaking. It's brilliant for you but it's heartbreaking for me to see that go for £7.99'.

Heartbreaking? Classic Sherlock, I love it :clapping:

Peter is absolutely excelling himself with a sale of a 'Panache' gift set. When the price dropped to £7.99 he looked utterly bewildered, only to say 'Oh no, no, no, no, no, NO'. Then, following a long and silent pause he said, in a very sombre tone 'That's heartbreaking. It's brilliant for you but it's heartbreaking for me to see that go for £7.99'.

Heartbreaking? Classic Sherlock, I love it :clapping:

He seems to be the only purchaser I know who doesn't know what they will be selling it for :s

PJ

He seems to be the only purchaser I know who doesn't know what they will be selling it for :s

PJ

He He :happy:

I have to say that Peter is looking really well, I remember he said he was knocking the smoking on the head so if he has kept it up it seems to have done him the world of good.

He He :happy:

I have to say that Peter is looking really well, I remember he said he was knocking the smoking on the head so if he has kept it up it seems to have done him the world of good.

I agree he looks much neater and healthier. I am straight but I would haha

Aqua BUBBLES are awesome. Not for claustrophobics though :mysmilie_867:

Paul Evers often refers to the bubble

He mentions it in relation to certain products selling well on tv that do not sell in shops and vice versa

I see bidtv presenters must be moaning and complaining about this forum.Go away start your own forum for pro Bidtv talk on the bidtv website.Get off shopping telly forum.

This is nothing major but the ever charming Guy Kean was previewing the E-ON Powerdown Plug and kept saying it has a remote control. Guy my love, it dosen't. It merely has a sensor that let's you use your own remote control. I get the impression he dosen't do much product research.

I think it's fair to say that electricals are not his strong point, i'm not sure what is!

Last edited:
i've wondered from time to time, why you don't see more high street brands on shopping tv in general.

usually the few there are, make their way to qvc.

i laugh my arse off when bid has a genuine well known brand on there, they fall arse over tit to get over the quality of the brand and almost always indirectly say that everything else they do in comparison is tat.

This is nothing major but the ever charming Guy Kean was previewing the E-ON Powerdown Plug and kept saying it has a remote control. Guy my love, it dosen't. It merely has a sensor that let's you use your own remote control. I get the impression he dosen't do much product research.

I think it's fair to say that electricals are not his strong point, i'm not sure what is!

Fair enough as a presenter he may not know everything about every product but someone in the gallery should be screaming in his ear and make him correct himself.

PJ

As improved as Mr James is he really does stink at selling tablet computers.

When selling a 7" Trekstor Surftab Breeze he said it comes with Android Ice Cream Sandwich which is 'brand new technology' but someone clearly corrected him that it isn't so he then added he is pretty sure you can update the tablet.

I'm pretty sure you can't :wink:

As improved as Mr James is he really does stink at selling tablet computers.

When selling a 7" Trekstor Surftab Breeze he said it comes with Android Ice Cream Sandwich which is 'brand new technology' but someone clearly corrected him that it isn't so he then added he is pretty sure you can update the tablet.

I'm pretty sure you can't :wink:

It would seem that most presenters don't like retracting things even when told to in their ear. Don't know why not. It is live TV, you've got to talk whilst 1 or more people are jabbering on in your ear so it is not surprising things are said in error. I would think more of them if they held their hands up and retracted.

PJ

It would seem that most presenters don't like retracting things even when told to in their ear. Don't know why not. It is live TV, you've got to talk whilst 1 or more people are jabbering on in your ear so it is not surprising things are said in error. I would think more of them if they held their hands up and retracted.

PJ

Given James' history with Tablet Computers I would have thought he would research them back to front. Clearly not.

And you're right, anyone can make a mistake and especially when it's live. It would be far better for everyone concerned to just admit it was wrong and then the problem is sorted out, there and then.

I have to give Dirty Peter some rare praise here. I have heard him retract statements a number of times although on one occasion he pulled a face and mentioned the ASA :grin:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back