London
W3 7QE
Date: 11 December 2013
Media: Television
Sector: Retail
Number of complaints: 1
Complaint Ref: A13-245692
Ad
A teleshopping presentation on Bid TV for an 18-piece Viners cutlery set. The presenter stated, "Take a look at Viners. This is British tradition, craftsmanship at its finest. What we're about to show you is an 18-piece divine cutlery set ... It is not only the very heart of the Sheffield makers ... The heart of Sheffield, one of the most famous and one of the great cities in the world. What they've done, Viners have created the ambition of quality and design since 1901 ... To have quality cutlery in that drawer from the very heart of Sheffield ... it's Viners ... A quality set and I love it because it's British, it's Sheffield, it's Viners, it's quality".

Issue
The complainant challenged whether the presentation was misleading because they believed it implied the product was made in Sheffield when they understood that was not the case.

BCAP Code
Response
sit-up Ltd t/a Bid TV said that, having reviewed the footage, the complainant was incorrect because the presenter had not stated that the product was "made in Sheffield". They said the presenter was acknowledging that Viners was a British company that had a strong and deep British tradition, based in Sheffield. They said during the broadcast, the presenter reinforced the confidence and assurance that customers received when they bought the product and that they would be buying into all that the manufacturer stood for, that is, a British and Sheffield brand with a manufacturing tradition.

Assessment
Upheld

The ASA understood that Viners cutlery was not manufactured in the UK. We acknowledged sit-up's assertion that the presenter had not explicitly said that the product was made in Sheffield. However, whilst the presenter made several references that may have been interpreted as relating to the company's Sheffield heritage, we considered that statements such as "quality cutlery … from the very heart of Sheffield" and "it's British, it's Sheffield" were likely to give the impression that the cutlery was manufactured there. Because that was not the case, we concluded the ad was misleading.

The ad breached BCAP Code rules 3.1 and 3.2 (Misleading advertising) and 3.9 (Substantiation).

Action
The ad must not appear again in its current form. We told sit-up Ltd to ensure claims of place of manufacture did not mislead in future.

I'm guessing 'not only' is a giveaway to the identity of the particular Sit-Up Stooge in question? I wouldn't be surprised if the complaint was made by one of the many Ex-Viners staff members who were canned donkeys years ago :mysmilie_59:

I wonder how many upheld complaints he has now?

I'm glad they got nobbled on Viners-Russell pulled exactly the same stunt with Limit watches.
They showed an ancient picture of a British factory but the Limit website confirmed that the watches are now made 'in the Far East'.
Viners cutlery is made in Korea btw.

is it any worse than QVC best of British day when the vast majority of items are made abroad ?

I love the bid response that the person who complained is wrong and goes on to try and say that dirty peter didnt say it was made in britain

.... despite the quote all but implying it

I love the bid response that the person who complained is wrong and goes on to try and say that dirty peter didnt say it was made in britain

So when Steve made that comment that if they get 3 complaints they're out that obviously dosen't apply to Dirty Peter. Jeez, he must have at least 10 complaints now (assuming it was him, it not only looks like it) :mysmilie_59:

So when Steve made that comment that if they get 3 complaints they're out that obviously dosen't apply to Dirty Peter. Jeez, he must have at least 10 complaints now (assuming it was him, it not only looks like it) :mysmilie_59:

The thing that makes it pathetic is he references it on his show, like he is being picked on.

The thing that makes it pathetic is he references it on his show, like he is being picked on.

In my opinion Steve is very lucky to only have the complaints he has, that lad seriously sails close to the wind. I know we joke when he has a suit on but he really does seem at his worst when he wears one!

He has often confused the starting price with actual value. The Pendule complaint was something he had done several times before he was finally pulled.

Bid are their own worst enemy. Whoever is making those moronic arguments against the viewer should be sacked! I'd have more respect for them if they held up their hands and said sorry.

I wonder if the delay with Ofcom is to see how Sit-up fare over a specific time period? I'd say they have broken the thin ice and are slowly sinking! :grin:

Bid are their own worst enemy. Whoever is making those moronic arguments against the viewer should be sacked! I'd have more respect for them if they held up their hands and said sorry.

I wonder if the delay with Ofcom is to see how Sit-up fare over a specific time period? I'd say they have broken the thin ice and are slowly sinking! :grin:

It looks like they have decided to accept Peter Simon warts and all. I think he will always generate complaints because of the utterly bizarre way he sells, he's funny and all that but he also appears as something of a odd ball.

I'm sure he must have a fan base but I can't see how someone like him has any place on a shopping channel but obviously Sit-Up have a different opinion.

But he is nowhere near as bad as he used to be, this time last year he was out of control (remember the gold plated Tanzo selling for £500!!!!) Not that you would have known it was only gold plated!

In my opinion Steve is very lucky to only have the complaints he has, that lad seriously sails close to the wind. I know we joke when he has a suit on but he really does seem at his worst when he wears one!

He has often confused the starting price with actual value. The Pendule complaint was something he had done several times before he was finally pulled.

I meant peter simon. he will occasionally dish out a verbal barb... yet he is meant to be a bumbling fool eh

To be frank, had i not read their response/attempt to pass the buck onto the complainant in writing, i would not have believed that they would do that based on the facts

I meant peter simon. he will occasionally dish out a verbal barb... yet he is meant to be a bumbling fool eh

He's no fool, it's all an act. Nevertheless the way he tongue ties himself with his garbage is asking for trouble.

He's no fool, it's all an act. Nevertheless the way he tongue ties himself with his garbage is asking for trouble.

You're right, with Peter Simon it's all just an act. When he goes home at night it's Bourbon and a relax (library picture below).

Attachments

• 2283395218_c788d82037.jpg
    2283395218_c788d82037.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 204
You're right, with Peter Simon it's all just an act. When he goes home at night it's Bourbon and a relax (library picture below).

I'd go with the garb and Bourbon but I think that's where the similarities end with the Heffster :mysmilie_19:

Latest posts

Back