"For Yourself.." low down dirty trick :(

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

cheesecake

Registered Shopper
Well, I guess Elisa has been reading or listening to her psychology teachings then. Only been watching for little under 20 minutes and she is saying "for yourself" quite honestly several times a minute!!! We all expect everything these sales people say is thought about and deliberate, even down to Peter Simon's bumblings and I'm so stupid act, but this was just so obvious. A womans evening, continually saying "for yourself.." come on!

Sometimes I watch these people and I forget how awful and low they can and will go, sometimes even I fall for the old 'we're your mates, good honest people' carp, but other times I am reduced to feeling disgusted. I really wish they would bring Boomerang (kids cartoon channel, 24 hours, no adverts) back on Freeview so I didn't have to have these charlatans on for background noise, I think Dick darstardly was probably less phoney :)

Well, I guess Elisa has been reading or listening to her psychology teachings then. Only been watching for little under 20 minutes and she is saying "for yourself" quite honestly several times a minute!!! We all expect everything these sales people say is thought about and deliberate, even down to Peter Simon's bumblings and I'm so stupid act, but this was just so obvious. A womans evening, continually saying "for yourself.." come on!

Sometimes I watch these people and I forget how awful and low they can and will go, sometimes even I fall for the old 'we're your mates, good honest people' carp, but other times I am reduced to feeling disgusted. I really wish they would bring Boomerang (kids cartoon channel, 24 hours, no adverts) back on Freeview so I didn't have to have these charlatans on for background noise, I think Dick darstardly was probably less phoney :)

In what context was she saying 'for yourself' cheesecake? Buy it for yourself?

In what context was she saying 'for yourself' cheesecake? Buy it for yourself?

Without speaking directly for cheesecake, i assume the implication to be that "for yourself" is subliminally appealing towards women that are maybe single and alone on a saturday night or a mother that usually wouldnt make a purchase for herself.

Without speaking directly for cheesecake, i assume the implication to be that "for yourself" is subliminally appealing towards women that are maybe single and alone on a saturday night or a mother that usually wouldnt make a purchase for herself.

Ah right, I see now.

I have always associated Elisa with the very bottom rung of Shopping TV. She has certainly done the rounds at the tackier end of the industry and never risen above it so now that she's at the very bottom, appearing as Dirty Peter's sidekick on arguably the most downmarket channel of the lot would seem appropriate.

She used to be on the appalling i-Buy with Mike Mason. I'm sure you get the picture :giggle:

Last edited:
Yes :) Women often used to not buy themselves anything, I know my Mum wouldn't and Nan either as an example. nowadays though, it is still implied that women 'go without' for the sakes of kids or husbands, whether they do or not is another thing :) but women like to 'believe' they are still chained to the kitchen for tuppence ha'penny a year :p That's in my opinion what she was aiming for, especially with all the items being womens. The advert with "because we're worth it" shite is another thing like that which plays to the 'hard done by' woman out there, now it seems, not only must women be equal, by MORE equal than men. Speaking as a woman, I find it incredibly disturbing how it's now OK to stereotype men and pretty much do what women have been complaining about for years, to them; you know, the old "stupid man" in the advert. Anyway, don't start me on that or we'll be here all night :p

Yes :) Women often used to not buy themselves anything, I know my Mum wouldn't and Nan either as an example. nowadays though, it is still implied that women 'go without' for the sakes of kids or husbands, whether they do or not is another thing :) but women like to 'believe' they are still chained to the kitchen for tuppence ha'penny a year :p That's in my opinion what she was aiming for, especially with all the items being womens. The advert with "because we're worth it" shite is another thing like that which plays to the 'hard done by' woman out there, now it seems, not only must women be equal, by MORE equal than men. Speaking as a woman, I find it incredibly disturbing how it's now OK to stereotype men and pretty much do what women have been complaining about for years, to them; you know, the old "stupid man" in the advert. Anyway, don't start me on that or we'll be here all night :p

that's a far better explanation haha.

Spot on though. i assume it's a common tactic on "ladies night" though?

Ah right, I see now.

I have always associated Elisa with the very bottom rung of Shopping TV. She has certainly done the rounds at the tackier end of the industry and never risen above it so now that she's at the very bottom, appearing as Dirty Peter's sidekick on arguably the most downmarket channel of the lot would seem appropriate.

She used to be on the appalling i-Buy with Mike Mason. I'm sure you get the picture :giggle:

what the ****** ell is i-buy lol

When she is on with Peter she says things in support of the sale of female clothing items that seem to imply he has a female partner, which is obviously ludicrous. She is a very skilled saleswoman but the fact that after all these years she is still flogging garbage on Bid TV speaks volumes.

She even says to him he'll get the sack for selling items so low as if he has some sort of control over the price. She seems to have found a good home on Bid with him!

But my biggest gripe with her is when she always seems to tell people to either buy the size below or above when one has sold out. I genuinely don't know why they even bother having different sizes when she is on, just have a load of one size as she seems to completely disregard them anyway!

Mind you, she dosen't even seem to know her own size :giggle:

what the ****** ell is i-buy lol

It's a long since defunct, and pretty tacky channel. They used to sell exorbitant contract phone deals with a 'free PC' that were beyond low spec (think calculator but with a new flat screen monitor and you're not far off).

It was formed after Auction World was closed using many of their personnel and broadcast from the same studio but it supposedly had absolutely nothing to do with them!

Yes. And they also flash up subliminal pictures of teary eyed single woman on a thread bare sofa with a microwave meal for one. I haven't managed to pause it on one of the pictures yet. But I'm sure they probably do it. They must do. Especially as they have started saying such clear cut, indisputable blatantly patronising statements as 'for yourself' shocking. Just shocking!

It's a long since defunct, and pretty tacky channel. They used to sell exorbitant contract phone deals with a 'free PC' that were beyond low spec (think calculator but with a new flat screen monitor and you're not far off).

It was formed after Auction World was closed using many of their personnel and broadcast from the same studio but it supposedly had absolutely nothing to do with them!

One thing i will say about peter simon that is a classy gesture on his part (in my opinion) is on the monday afternoon when he shares his part of the peter simon epic entrance with elisa.

Yes. And they also flash up subliminal pictures of teary eyed single woman on a thread bare sofa with a microwave meal for one. I haven't managed to pause it on one of the pictures yet. But I'm sure they probably do it. They must do. Especially as they have started saying such clear cut, indisputable blatantly patronising statements as 'for yourself' shocking. Just shocking!

Fanboi. You would defend them if they claimed Yarvik Tablets cured cancer.

I don't know if there's any selling technique behind it, I'd never thought of it like that. I do know I'm heartily sick of hearing her say it.

And that dress she was wearing last night that was 'coming up for yourself' was awful imo

This kind of sales tactic is like something you'd do in a shop with a friend or have that argument in your mind...

"I really like that dress, but I can't really afford it"

Friend (Elisa) "Oh go on, you know you want it - treat yourself!, It's for you!, you only live once, you might die tomorrow!"

"Oh what the heck"

Could the sales techniques of Bid now all be about reverse psychology and brain washing? :giggle:

:sweat:

I'd like to see much more of Elisa on Bid, for me she has all the qualities to fill the void that has existed since the devastating loss of Nicola George.

I wonder if a slot with Elisa hosting with Caroline Lyndsay could work? Both of them are warm and engaging, not to mention genuine.

Elisa doesn't seem the type to tassel.

That's a good observation Mr Tom, I think you're quite correct.

I have hopes of a spectacular return for Lola La Rouge in the upcoming weeks and months. I heard a rumour that, unfortunately, various big TV projects with Australia's major TV networks (ABC, 7, 9 and 10) have all failed to materialise due to problems with her accent, despite her tassel talents being highly regarded by executives.

That's a good observation Mr Tom, I think you're quite correct.

I have hopes of a spectacular return for Lola La Rouge in the upcoming weeks and months. I heard a rumour that, unfortunately, various big TV projects with Australia's major TV networks (ABC, 7, 9 and 10) have all failed to materialise due to problems with her accent, despite her tassel talents being highly regarded by executives.

Sounds like our Nicola didn't follow the advice of the Australian video for new citizens :grin::handshake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95OovSKEtfs

Latest posts

Back