What's Going On?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Unbeliveable. We are low lives for mentioning a presenters child?

Would this be the presenter who found a way to mention his child in every sale? He's scared of the dark, he's not scared of the dark, pooter, my missus has bad breath, her feet smell, his general 70's demeanour and woman hating comments, good riddance I say. I also love the way his missus speaks for him on facebook and seems to think shes a celebrity in her own right!

Unbeliveable. We are low lives for mentioning a presenters child?

Would this be the presenter who found a way to mention his child in every sale? He's scared of the dark, he's not scared of the dark, pooter, my missus has bad breath, her feet smell, his general 70's demeanour and woman hating comments, good riddance I say. I also love the way his missus speaks for him on facebook and seems to think shes a celebrity in her own right!

She does seem to come across that way dosen't she?

Oh well, she may as well shut down that facebook page now. I doubt many people will be too interested in hearing about how he fitted some Plug Sockets, in a Bungalow, in Penge :mysmilie_59:

Sorry. I don't want to seem to be piling in on you when you have just received two devastating pieces of news in the same day. But I have to ask....

Did you believe in charging £7.99 P&P for tiny items like rings?

Without going into to too much detail of how the business side of it worked as I don't think that's fair to the owners of the company but to answer your question yes and no. The old company's way (believe it or not) was actually to sell most of the products at less than what we paid for them and make 2 or 3 pounds on the p&p and that was how they worked. The new company's plan was to sell the products at a few pounds higher than what we had paid (hence the jump in what you were paying for the products) but the plan was to eventually bring the p&p back down lower. But unfortunately we never reached that stage. So yes 7.99 was high but after seeing what the company had paid for the product I actually didn't mind paying that high p&p (as most of you know Freda bought lots lol) but I know I had the privilege of seeing that and you lovely people didn't. I would have loved to have been able to bring products to you that you all loved and I'm hoping that some day I will be able to do that. Again thank you for all your kind messages on my facebook and twitter regarding my mum all your prays mean the world to be and hopefully with the help of these I will be giving you an update of good news in a few months. Love and light to you all and god bless (even to those who can't stand me lol) xxxx

Did you work for them?

If so, please call the confidential Fraud Squad hotline on 0904 251 2999 (calls charged at £1.53/min from BT landlines plus network extras).

Seriously, what the presenters ought to have done at a much earlier stage is to have written an open letter to their management, signed by most/all of the presenters and producers (if possible) demanding some form of change before it's too late to do anything else. Having said that, when the Shop at Bid/Price Drop game show formats were introduced, the Bid brand in particular had turned something beyond redemption that they were mistakenly clinging onto like a piece of driftwood. I know this falls into the "What if?" category but they would have been better off ditching the Bid brand altogether and trading under something else - Auction World, Delboy Trading, iBuy or Alert Trading Standards would have all been better choices for brand names than Bid at that stage.

Failure to realise that the Bid brand was now toxic and a complete failure to realise that a Shop at Bid makeover would consequentially alienate most of what little was left of their customer base was what did it. Oh, and whoever commissioned the Price Drop gameshow shouldn't be let anywhere near a McDonalds let alone a TV studio: "Would you like fries with that? Wah wah wah wah, better luck next time. You can't 'ave 'em!"

Without going into to too much detail of how the business side of it worked as I don't think that's fair to the owners of the company but to answer your question yes and no. The old company's way (believe it or not) was actually to sell most of the products at less than what we paid for them and make 2 or 3 pounds on the p&p and that was how they worked. The new company's plan was to sell the products at a few pounds higher than what we had paid (hence the jump in what you were paying for the products) but the plan was to eventually bring the p&p back down lower. But unfortunately we never reached that stage. So yes 7.99 was high but after seeing what the company had paid for the product I actually didn't mind paying that high p&p (as most of you know Freda bought lots lol) but I know I had the privilege of seeing that and you lovely people didn't. I would have loved to have been able to bring products to you that you all loved and I'm hoping that some day I will be able to do that. Again thank you for all your kind messages on my facebook and twitter regarding my mum all your prays mean the world to be and hopefully with the help of these I will be giving you an update of good news in a few months. Love and light to you all and god bless (even to those who can't stand me lol) xxxx

Nobody can't stand you on here Lisa, there are some others who fall into that category but i'm certain you don't. I know we have ribbed you and I most certainly have but honestly, there were others that we had far more in our sights and I think you know exactly who I mean :mysmilie_17:

I know you probably won't wish to answer this and I respect that but what did you think of the new Price Drop format? We were aghast at it, I could be wrong but I have never, ever heard of a Shopping Channel that actually turned away customers who had money to spend. I get the 'Game Show' element but what bright spark thought that a Game Show has anything to do with a Shopping Channel?

It seemed absolutely crazy and i'm afraid it was probably always going to fail.

Madness.

Nobody can't stand you on here Lisa, there are some others who fall into that category but i'm certain you don't. I know we have ribbed you and I most certainly have but honestly, there were others that we had far more in our sights and I think you know exactly who I mean :mysmilie_17:

I know you probably won't wish to answer this and I respect that but what did you think of the new Price Drop format? We were aghast at it, I could be wrong but I have never, ever heard of a Shopping Channel that actually turned away customers who had money to spend. I get the 'Game Show' element but what bright spark thought that a Game Show has anything to do with a Shopping Channel?

It seemed absolutely crazy and i'm afraid it was probably always going to fail.

Madness.

I wasn't sure about the format. I do think we needed to add an element of fun and something different to it but I don't think that format was working but in the company's defence they were really trying to turn things around it's such a shame

But how is having the model of making a couple of pounds on the p&p fair on those who didn't like what they received? If you did what most did and include it on the item then they would have got a full refund rather than loosing out. I am willing to bet they many didn't send back because of the cost if the call and the p&p wouldn't be got back. How did you feel when you sold cheap knock off brands but made out like they were the bees knees? I am meaning items like watches. Do you realise that is wrong? I hope you are back on TV soon but please work for an honest company :) Sent from my Vodafone 354 using Forum Runner *meep meep*

Last edited:
I wasn't sure about the format. I do think we needed to add an element of fun and something different to it but I don't think that format was working but in the company's defence they were really trying to turn things around it's such a shame

Thanks for replying, I think it was pretty clear to anyone there was a problem with the format as there were way too many 'better luck next time' sales.

But i'd imagine the real problem was with Shop At Bid as I presume that channel was the main revenue generator. To be frank it was too expensive and too repetitive and all those silly price comparisons probably annoyed people when almost every product was only being compared to the sky high prices on the manufacturers own website.

People as a whole aren't dumb, they know when something isn't right and sadly there was something very odd about a face cleanser system supposedly costing £500 that Bid are miraculously selling for £60!

Wow...if this is true and they really ran the company on those business models, no wonder they ended up £58m in the hole !

There was only one presenter I really couldn't stand, and it certainly wasn't you!! Anyway good luck for the future. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the Sen skincare, it was on the back of one of your demos that I bought some and have never looked back, the stuff is amazing, though sadly difficult to come by these days, it's sorted out my horrendously dry skin a treat cheers Lisa. Sorry to hear about your Mam, hope she'll be fine x

Hope to see you on our screens soon.

Hi Lisa, where do you think it started to go wrong, was it the selling by Virgin in 2009 or the attempts to sell products at 1p which made the channel seem cheap once you get to 1p where can you go?

I remember the olden days when they would sell bikes, limited edition football shirts etc where did all those higher price items go, if you look at the Peter Simon snot video on Youtube he locked an item of jewellery at nearly £2000, where did those things go.

I think the new owners made the mistake of trying to use a tarnished brand they should have totally started from scratch and maybe looked into selling advertising to alleviate the need for p&p perhaps.

Do you think the new owners will try again with a new channel or have they given up completely?

Lisa what did the other presenters make of Peter Simon's monologue? Why wasn't he told especially on his early shifts that smut shouldn't be allowed? Did any presenters try and stop being told to lie about products on a daily basis?

Sent from my Vodafone 354 using Forum Runner *meep meep*

"Not only is it one of the company's signature products, not only does it consist of two 100% beef patties, with the American of the cheese, with the most special of the sauces, the iceberg lettuce, the pickles, the onions... and served in a three-part sesame seed bun. Delicious." Peter's going to have fun at his new job!

ALL the long term presenters are as much to blame as the management are in this whole shambles, Any presenter with an ounce of self respect would have been walking over hot coals to get away from **** at bid, but they held on for dear life as they knew they would struggle to get any decent work anywhere else as really what half decent company would have the 2 peters, Mike etc anywhere near the cameras? I mean I wouldn't trust any of them if they told me the sky is blue!!!

Ok we all had a laugh and joke AT them never with them, but they never failed with the airy fairy far fetched tales that gave us the material to have a giggle, at least we didn't have to pay for the Mike, Peter(s) etc......I hope we NEVER see any of you back on TV but no doubt I fear all of you will worm your ways back onto some other dodgy quiz channel etc cause if we are being honest they probably couldn't work in any "normal" real world employment like most of us!

PS: A big genuine thank you to 99.9% of the posters on here for some proper giggles. :mysmilie_19:

"Not only is it one of the company's signature products, not only does it consist of two 100% beef patties, with the American of the cheese, with the most special of the sauces, the iceberg lettuce, the pickles, the onions... and served in a three-part sesame seed bun. Delicious." Peter's going to have fun at his new job!

I heard he's been hanging around outside the old Granada Studios in Manchester in the hope of bumping into some producers that he worked with in the 1980's. Apparently he has some innovative Kids TV show ideas, mostly involving gunge.

But he's so completely out of touch that he hasn't even realised that it's long since closed down and they've upped sticks to Salford.

So i'd get down to Maccie D's if I was Peter, surely now is the time to be realistic :mysmilie_59:

Latest posts

Back