What's Going On? - Page 15
Close
Login to Your Account
ShoppingTelly.com Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PJ. View Post
    What dance should one do on the grave of a defunct shopping channel? I want to say a sort of river dance but this is important so I want to get it right ... Sent from my Vodafone 354 using Forum Runner *meep meep*
    Lets do a conga :)

Likes MrMobo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

ADVERTISING
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ. View Post
    Maybe if we club together we could get MeMike to have a YouTube channel. We could film it on the remaining Vivitar camcorders which as we all know are 4K IMAX quality so no problems there.

Sent from my Vodafone 354 using Forum Runner *meep meep*
    Oh i'm in PJ.

His talent cannot be lost to fitting fuses and wiring old ladies electric stairlifts :mysmilie_59:
    Likes Docswife, PJ. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So it's finally happened. Bye bye Bid. Farewell to Price Drop. Good riddance.

Or, to borrow from the ludicrous Price Drop selling model:

Waah waah waah waaaaaah

BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME

Most likely the initial rot set in when they first introduced a clock for falling price auctions, meaning that the price stopped falling at a predetermined point, but of course there have been numerous gaffes both on and off-screen ever since. During the past week it became obvious to me that they were now in serious trouble; I watched Shop at Bid for 10 minutes recently and the same five buyers' names were displayed throughout that time, plus the hilariously inept Price Drop format was OK for certain items but certainly not for jewellery which they singularly failed to sell anything of at the time I was watching. Throwing away potential purchases when they really needed to make every sale count seemed like a route to a quick suicide to me, and surely they could have done something with the Price Drop format that would have worked better from a business perspective.

In one sense I'm sad that it has all come to an end. Bid and Price Drop have been my favourite sources of trash TV over the last 10 years, and there hasn't been anything quite like it ever in the history of broadcasting. And, unfortunately, most of the very reasons why it was so compelling during its later years were unfortunately closely allied to the reasons why it shouldn't have been on-air at all.

Best wishes to all of the camera crew, production staff, backroom workers and slaves to the Sit-up empire plus a few of the presenters (Justin Hazell springs to mind), but the rest of the presenters badly let the side down. As others have said, keeping the presenters who may have sold the most under an old broken regime was a huge mistake when you needed to attract new customers in order to survive. On another forum, someone said that one of the presenters (perhaps Steve Macdonald) looked like an unkempt Big Issue seller, and when other presenters resembled uncouth salespeople in various stages of derangement (or were simply deranged either by accident or design) it's no wonder that sales hit the buffers when they tried to go all Ideal World with the Shop at Bid format. Shop at Bid tried to be staid and sensible but failed due to a lack of quality products, poor presenters and simply because they had scared nearly all their potential customers away.

So then, farewell to (mainly) bad rubbish.
    Likes becca, Mommabear , Pola, PJ. , Wirral70 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1 MEGADROP View Post
    I thought a brief history was in order but the only thing I couldn't find was the short lived dibbing.com
    You missed the price-drop.tv logo with the dot ;)
    Last edited by Bennyxp; 17-04-2014 at 08:37 PM.
    Thanks 1 MEGADROP thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aqua View Post
    Moet&muffins is not and never has been Mike Mason-she is a friend of Mike and the Slash Goddess.
    The top presenters may well have earned 150k gross per annum-this figure is about par for top salespeople.
    I think this figure is well off the mark knowing IW presenters were paid approx 60k a year back in 2010.

Post Thanks / Like

What would the most appropriate way to say goodbye to Bid? I was going to say letting balloons go, but I see they already have.......
    Likes MrMobo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

im surprised someone on here aint suggested we all club together & buy the company for as little as possible & show them we knew what we were on about on here

(me being slightly joking)
    Likes PJ. , Mary Betamax , Greg liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Docswife View Post
    What would the most appropriate way to say goodbye to Bid? I was going to say letting balloons go, but I see they already have.......
    Have Beans On Toast and then let it all out.

That would seem very appropriate :mysmilie_59:
    Likes Mommabear liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bennyxp View Post
    You pissed the price-drop.tv logo with the dot ;)
    Well spotted Benny I will update it immediately
    Last edited by 1 MEGADROP; 17-04-2014 at 08:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

ADVERTISING

Quote Originally Posted by Docswife View Post
    I'm going to send them a sympathy card - and then charge them 7.99 to deliver it.

That's the going rate for something that's as light as a feather isn't it?
    Likes Dave , Pola, Mary Betamax , MrMobo, mipsy and 2 others liked this post