Peter Simon

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I drove past Mr Simon today on 'our' road ( look at me rubbing elbows with the stars!) He lives on the very last house on our road, part of me is tempted to knock on his door, but I'm scared!

Go on, I dare you, give him a cold call knock and try to sell him the latest innovation of piped gas or something. Not only with the delicate copper piping, not only with the newly smarter than smart metering, not only with the clever aroma only Peter Sherlock can match with his bottled fragrances, not only with the flammable properties that can cook and warm the house throughout, not only with the one day offer of cavity wall insulation included, not only with the £7.99 handling fee, the £1.53 connection fee and the delivery within 14 working days, not only with a Happy Meal to settle the deal. Palm on face! Surely the price cannot get any lower? Just buy it, just buy it! Not only with the half finished sentences, but as an added bonus, just for old time sake, when he puts pen to paper to sign up for the extraordinary offer, please don't forget to look at the pen, pause, and then say... it writes nice! I am sure that will make his day.

If that isn't possible, can't you act as a digital champion, teach him how to twat, I mean tweet, and then get him signed up to this forum? He is a legend.

Go on, I dare you, give him a cold call knock and try to sell him the latest innovation of piped gas or something. Not only with the delicate copper piping, not only with the newly smarter than smart metering, not only with the clever aroma only Peter Sherlock can match with his bottled fragrances, not only with the flammable properties that can cook and warm the house throughout, not only with the one day offer of cavity wall insulation included, not only with the £7.99 handling fee, the £1.53 connection fee and the delivery within 14 working days, not only with a Happy Meal to settle the deal. Palm on face! Surely the price cannot get any lower? Just buy it, just buy it! Not only with the half finished sentences, but as an added bonus, just for old time sake, when he puts pen to paper to sign up for the extraordinary offer, please don't forget to look at the pen, pause, and then say... it writes nice! I am sure that will make his day.

If that isn't possible, can't you act as a digital champion, teach him how to twat, I mean tweet, and then get him signed up to this forum? He is a legend.

If Peter reads this Forum, I would like to pay his subs becoming a VIP shopper, go on Peter -- You know you want to. :mysmilie_12:

[/SIZE]

If Peter reads this Forum, I would like to pay his subs becoming a VIP shopper, go on Peter -- You know you want to. :mysmilie_12:

Well it could be worse, he could be kidding himself with a youtube fan club talking about competitions to win handbags etc. Maybe that idea could work; have The Peter Simon Show on youtube, with the big grand opening, a huge intro, the music, and selected guests for nostalgia. Maybe London Live will see it and commission a full series on the telly. The TV days are probably numbered though, he most likely has a contract with Warner Leisure Hotels or similar now. I have just been on their website and did see that they have already signed up Steve from Price Drop

35-800632013-homepage-weekendPromo.jpg

th

Warner also have Aled Jones, Jane McDonald and Myleene Klass. So yes, he would feel right at home there! I often wonder how it is that Myleene never appeared on Bid, she was on everything else at the time.

Is it true absolutelydelicious that HS2 is going to rip through his abode?

I believe so, I had heard that and from what I've heard he's lived there for a long time, lovely old cottage but looks a bit out of place on the road now as the other houses next door have been knocked down over the years and replaced with some hideous Mcmansions..

I would tell you which road but then you'll all be coming round asking me for MY autograph lol :mysmilie_17:

Last edited:
gemporia replied to post on their fb page saying this:

peter Simon joined us on a short term basis.he no longer works for gems tv but we wish him the best of luck with his future endeavors,thank you gemporia.

I doubt very much that it was a short term employment originally.

One of Peter's opening lines on his first show was "I'd like to get to know you over the next few weeks, months or years - however long i'm here" - or something very similar to that. Nobody would say that knowing full well that they're only there on a temporary basis.

They were also quite vocal about him doing his Gemology exams. They wouldn't bother getting him to study for those if he was only going to be there for a month.

Steve Bennett already admitted on air once that he'd asked Peter to "tone it down" - so I suspect that they realised that his style of presenting, clumsyness, mis-pronounciation and general eratic behaviour (singing kum-bay-ya, whip me whip me, crap Larry Grayson and Les Dawson-esque 1980s "comedy", laying on the floor, putting his legs over desks, clinging on to female presenters, etc) was the problem after all, not Bid TVs - and he could not change his style - or, more likely, a couple of people have made complaints with the ASA - and the ASA have got in contact with Gems informing them that they've had complaints and need footage to investigate further.

I suspect it's the latter because I've seen a number of things that could have been reported - and I would imagine there was far far more besides just the few things that I saw. Peter Simon claiming that filled rubies were natural. Peter Simon also stating that an Ethiopian Blue Opal was natural (when it was dyed). Peter Simon claiming that Tanzanite was "the rarest of the gems" (when it isn't). He also sold a Rose Gold Plated ring - and said that it was gold (not once mentioning the plating).

Gems TV are completely honest and open about what is treated, what is natural - and whether rings are plated or natural. However, Peter Simon chose to be different - and went with his old Bid TV habits. I suspect Gems finally realised that PS's not-so-honest approach and general loud, "in ya face" and clumsy style of presenting went against the Gems TV approach to presenting.

Last edited:
Possibly a trial basis? They're not going to offer him a full time contract straight off the bat without giving him a trial run first surely...

I feel bad for Peter if he was sacked, they must have known what he was like, you can't expect a middle aged man to change styles overnight.

PJ

I feel bad for Peter if he was sacked, they must have known what he was like, you can't expect a middle aged man to change styles overnight.

PJ

I don't.

They probably gave him the benefit of the doubt - and probably thought that some of his antics were down to the old Bid channel. It's not as if Peter Simon was the only presenter on Bid TV that had some dubious selling methods.

It's now obvious that it wasn't all Bids fault though. He was exactly the same on Gems as he was on Bid. Peter is, apparently, only 57 - so he's still young enough to be fully aware of what he's doing - despite his clumsy old man act on TV. He is fully in control of what he says - and if he's not sure about what he's selling, then he's simply best to say nothing at all and stick to facts rather than trying to make something up that then comes across as false and misleading. He chose to plod along in his own manner - completely ignoring information on the screen such as treatments information - and decided to claim things were natural.

I would have felt sorry for him had he come over with a clean slate, acted professionally and left his Bid TV mannerisms as Bid TV - but he didn't. He chose to bring all his old habits and misleading ways with him - so for that, I have no sympathy at all.

Hopefully if he keeps getting fired from his jobs, it might just teach him a lesson and force him to change his ways, bad habits and crap comedy. Until then, he'll just continue doing things his way.

He's old enough to know better.

I agree. I have no sympathy for Peter Simon. He clearly got away with his less than honest presentation on Bid TV, preying on the ignorant and vulnerable, that he wouldn't get away with anywhere else.

I know exactly where Peter Simon is. Yesterday I was at home washing my vacuum cleaner filters (I know, I need to get out more) and the Tour de France was on in the background. I heard that Peter Simon was currently in fourth place riding through the streets of Epping! My mum suggested there may be another Peter Simon...

Latest posts

Back